Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Freewill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewill?

This is truly a very interesting topic . I'm sure it will be an interesting puzzle for all of you.

Who thinks they have freewill? Most do, right? Well, let's think about that for a second. If we had free will, why would we have to abide by certain supernatural laws, like the laws of nature for example, without wanting to? That is not the question I would like us to talk about in this thread though. I would like to talk about something more deep and confusing.

Many scientists think everything that happens is just pretty much random! Birth, death, this entire WORLD basically along with all the little stars you see in the sky, the Sun, and everything else. Well I have an argument for them...

How could people predict what could happen CENTURIES later? We're not talking about an easy prediction here, we're talking about a prediction that was made CENTURIES ago! So, if everything is just a random sequence, how could everything turn out JUST the way people like Nastradamus predicted?

This argument presents us with puzzle then. How do predictions work, how do people see the future (near/far, doesn't matter), and wait for it ... where do they, the predictions, come from? I doubt people just thought of them whilst sitting on a log like Winnie the Pooh and poking their head, saying "Think, Think, Think" . I doubt it came from good thinking. And even if that's the case ... is that what happened CENTURIES ago? Is that rational?

Does the world still seem so random? I doubt it. So if we agree that the world isn't random then who makes the choices? Who makes the rules? And why the hell must we follow them, like it or not?

Most importantly, the question now is, do we have freewill? I'd say we do .. but it's very limited. We have just the right amount to help us make good or bad decisions in life and I'd say that's more then enough !

Let's see if we can crack this puzzle guys. Here's a real challenge for all of you, including me.
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Re: Freewill?

Randomness or "luck" seem to be acceptable explanations for modern scientists whose theories seem to be based more on superstition and less on human intervention. I think we are able to control our own destiny if we harness the powers of the universe and work together to achieve goals that we set up for ourselves. For example, nuclear energy may not be the safest form of energy but it has proven to be the most efficient in terms of power output. Alternative energy such as solar or wind may be seen as viable but can they be used to achieve our goals? Or will solar and wind prove to be more expensive meaning more human energy and effort is required to be put into development than the return of energy in the end. I suppose we can put humans on treadmills to produce energy right? Are we becoming like hamsters on wheels because of our inability to control our own fate? Hmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDqDl...eature=related
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

A short and sweet answer ... we control our fate via our DECISIONS in life thanks to the bit of freewill we have! Basically, I think what me and you described was in many, if not all, respects ... Karma.

If we agree that such a phenomenon exists then I'd say we create our own threadmills. Menk mer posnenk prorum KAM ltsnum no matter what action we take. If we agree with the phenomenon though then we hit a dead end somehow because then we'll have to think about WHO created that phenomenon and WHY the hell we have to live with it!

Why not just doubt everything and move on ?
      Last edited by Sako; 07-07-2009, 04:59 AM.

Comment

To make everyone's answer short, & to sum it up.
        Basically you have a choice do to what you do in life

So think twice before you do it
        what looks & seems like fun may not be the right choice.
        Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
          To make everyone's answer short, & to sum it up.
          Basically you have a choice do to what you do in life

So think twice before you do it
          what looks & seems like fun may not be the right choice.
          You have some choices in life (looking at the big picture, not what you're going to have for lunch today or which movie you should go see) Certain people have more choices than others depending on which part of the world they live in and their socio-economic status. Work hard, play hard, die hard.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Finally you have started an argument I can be philosophical about.

There is either:

Hard Determinism = Everything is predetermined and we have no free will or choices

Soft Determinism = We have choices but everything is still predetermined and we have no free will

Compatiblism = We have choices, and limited free will, Free Will and Determinism are Compatible with each other

Liberatarian = We have total free will and control over our lives

Personally I take the comptatiblist view as I consider that there are some cases where we have free will and freedom of action, but that most aspects of our life are determined and what choices we have are determined by other choices we make.

Comment

I think you exercise free will once you're able to reflect on what you've done in the past that's kept you in a deterministic loophole, and then say, "Now "insert your name here", you have a choice, which will you take?", and you have the choice of picking the one that's going to break the old cycle that's held you for so long, if only to create a new cycle in the future.

Maybe freewill occurs when you can hop between the different deterministic cycles that put us in "decision-making autodrive" throughout our lives.

Lets say I want to make choice C, but I'd never be able to make that choice yet because I neither am in the situation that allows me to make choice C, nor to even think of it as a choice, so I'm stuck into the cycle of picking A and B. I just pick between A and B, A and B for months because that's my world, A and B. But one day, fate takes a sledgehammer to me A and B world and makes a crack in it. Now, new things and ideas (choice C) are pouring into my life and I can use them to escape the A and B world. I have the choice, I can stay with my A and B world, or I can pick C and get out of there, and become part of a new cycle of consequences that pretty much determine how my day to day life is going to run.

So, you can't escape the determinism, but when enough change occurs in your experience, you can pick which determinism you want. It appears there's a paradox, but imo, they compliment eachother because they work on qualitatively different levels.
              Last edited by jgk3; 07-07-2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Finally you have started an argument I can be philosophical about.
                And I plan on starting many more. Put your New Zealand Thinking Cap on !

By the way guys let's try facing my questions in a more straight forward way. But good points overall. And thanks for replying. This thread really gets you thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                  So does this mean your thread was made in accordance with the prophecy?
                  There are those who think that life....has nothing left to chance
                  With a host of holy horrors....to direct our aimless dance

A planet of playthings....we dance on the strings
                  Of powers we cannot perceive
                  The stars aren't aligned....or the gods are malign
                  Blame is better to give than receive

You can choose a ready guide....in some celestial voice
                  If you choose not to decide....you still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears....and kindness that can kill
                  I will choose a path that's clear....I will choose free will

There are those who think that they've been dealt a losing hand
                  The cards were stacked against them....they weren't born in lotus-land

All preordained....a prisoner in chains
                  A victim of venomous fate
                  Kicked in the face....you cant pray for a place
                  In heavens unearthly estate

Each of us....a cell of awareness
                  Imperfect and incomplete
                  Genetic blends....with uncertain ends
                  On a fortune hunt....thats far too fleet...

Comment

Interesting poem, Kanada.

So does this mean your thread was made in accordance with the prophecy?
                    Which prophecy, lol? Dude's, I made this thread just to discuss something I had in mind (which I mentioned). Nothing more, nothing less. This isn't religious for crying out loud or anything like that. We're simply discussing freewill here!

Comment

Working...
                    X