Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Lightning strikes woman, 2 boys in Brampton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lightning strikes woman, 2 boys in Brampton

I for one don't believe that my parents left a politically turmoil Turkey to give me a better future just to live a life that is absurd and meaningless.

Hey if you were still living in turckey you would have a very special relationship with some farm animal, it's like a fab overthere or something.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      Sometimes I wonder how would have my life been different had I grown up in Turkey.
      I think Haykakan has the answer to your burning question:

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
      Hey if you were still living in turckey you would have a very special relationship with some farm animal, it's like a fab overthere or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
        2 turks one horse?

I think I would have headed for Europe, I really don't understand everyone's fascination with the America's. Adult life is a pain in the vor. Now the whole world wants to live the same way as here... they can have it. I'm on strike lol
        Last edited by KanadaHye; 08-14-2009, 12:24 AM.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

A bolt from the blue

An afternoon at a soccer field in Brampton, Ont., turned terribly wrong for two young boys and a woman, who were hit without warning by a powerful bolt of lightning on Wednesday.

On Thursday, Kyus Caines, 5, was in critical condition at the Hospital for Sick Children in downtown Toronto. His mother, Dulce Caines, was in serious but stable condition at Brampton Civic Hospital. A three-year-old boy, whose name has not been released, had his condition upgraded to serious from critical.

Witnesses expressed surprise and bafflement at the timing of the strike and its strength. Many described the weather at the time as being partly cloudy, with no rain falling.

Environment Canada meteorologist Geoff Coulson said there was a storm in the area, but it was considered "weak and a very localized event" that only produced 15 to 20 flashes of lightning.

It appears the three may have been hit by a rare type of lightning strike colloquially known as a "bolt from the blue." These strikes usually hit in what appear to be relatively calm skies, and with great force.

Strikes from afar
          "This episode, where it came out of nowhere – they call it 'the bolt from the blue' – [occurs in] only about five per cent of lighting strikes," said Dr. Ernest Chiodo, an expert on lightning injuries.

"It is called positive lightning. It tends to be the more dangerous form of lightning."

Lightning is formed when ice crystals in clouds rub up against each other to cause positive and negative electric charges.

The positive charge migrates to the top of the cloud, while the bottom of the cloud is negatively charged, according to Environment Canada.

Negative lightning, which occurs in 95 per cent of strikes, originates in the negatively charged bottom portion of the cloud and hits the ground directly, Chiodo said.

But positive lightning originates at the top of the cloud. It can travel as far as 50 kilometres horizontally away from the cloud before suddenly striking downward, said Chiodo.

Positive lightning also tends to be a lot more powerful than negative lightning. Positive lightning strikes can carry up to one billion volts of electricity, compared to a maximum of about 100 million volts in negative lightning, according the U.S. National Weather Service.

Because the bolt from the top of the cloud has to travel a long way to reach the ground, it must carry "an extremely large current" to complete the electric circuit between the cloud and the ground, says the U.S Weather Service.

To wit, an average flash of negative lightning could power a 100-watt light bulb for two to three months, whereas a bolt of positive lightning could power that same bulb for up to 100 years.

Disproportionate human harm
          Negative lightning also typically has a very short pulse – just a few millionths of a second, Chiodo said. "However, positive lightning has a longer duration and a greater capacity to cause harm to human organs," he said.

The vast majority of the electricity in a lightning strike is carried around the human body, not through it. But those who have been hit can suffer severe injuries.

The chances of surviving a lightning strike are good – the U.S. National Lightning Safety Institute says nine out of 10 people hit by lightning survive. But most people hit by lightning suffer long-lasting health effects like memory loss, says Environment Canada.

Lightning strikes can also affect a person's nervous system, which can impact multi-tasking and thought-processing abilities, says Dr. Mary Ann Cooper, one of the world's leading authorities on lightning injuries. Besides injuries to the nervous system, people struck by lightning could also suffer eye damage, deafness or ringing in the ears, or amnesia.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...explainer.html
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
          X