Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Religion (split from Q&A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christianity Q&A

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    What would laws look like in a society based on scientific evidence?

Some argue that what is bringing the world back to the dark ages is a break down in collective intelligence due to increased crime, disease, etc. as a result of liberalism and lack of discipline. If you have discipline over all aspects of human nature, you should also be able to control your weight, smoking habits, etc. Mind over matter. Unless of course, your mind is out of your control.
    Incresed crime rates are strongly correlated to economic downturns and this particular one was a result of the conservative policy of deregulation. Kanadahye you are twisting the facts to make your argument look good but as you can see it doesnt work. I am no advocat of the right nor the left but i think we all know who and what started this economic mess. Intelligence is another description i would hardly credit any of the righty governments of possessing and as for disease i can make a strong point that the liberals are way ahead of the cons on this issue with universal healthcare and stemcell research. You dont need religion nor do you need to be a conservative to possess self dicipline, this is a personal trait partly learned and partly influenced by your genetic makeup.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
      Incresed crime rates are strongly correlated to economic downturns and this particular one was a result of the conservative policy of deregulation. Kanadahye you are twisting the facts to make your argument look good but as you can see it doesnt work. I am no advocat of the right nor the left but i think we all know who and what started this economic mess. Intelligence is another description i would hardly credit any of the righty governments of possessing and as for disease i can make a strong point that the liberals are way ahead of the cons on this issue with universal healthcare and stemcell research.

I don't twist facts, I just state them. Whether or not this can be confirmed... I read a report that said that America's prisons are full to the rim. You can pretty much go around creating mayhem and they don't even have a cell for you. It's a free for all. So naturally, it will have to become a police state for any chances of maintaining civil order if things were to get any worse. If you have discipline, you don't need government to make decisions and control you.

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
      You dont need religion nor do you need to be a conservative to possess self dicipline, this is a personal trait partly learned and partly influenced by your genetic makeup
      Learned how? If you were left in the woods as a child, what would you learn? Discipline is learned, you aren't born with it.
      Last edited by KanadaHye; 10-19-2009, 12:13 PM.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Re: Religion (split from Q&A)

It is learned but some people are geneticaly predisposed not to be diciplined, for example the addict personality trait has genetic roots and thus the lack of disipline in these people is only partialy their fault.
        I think we have veared pretty far off topic so i am gona quit posting in this thread for a while.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
          Regarding the soul or anything else that "can't be proven or disproven," please note that that does not make either outcome equally likely. FSM cannot be proven or disproven either, but would you say it's as likely that he exists as it is that he does not? Think about that... that was created to illustrate the hypocrisy of the belief in a god, especially a particularly god in light of all of the different religions people subscribe to in the world.
          The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" is not a good comparison to use. No one has ever claimed to see or have contact with it, as in true religions. There is no record of it's existence as there is in Christianity with Jesus Christ. It's not like people randomly created the figure of Jesus Christ and made a religion around him, there were eyewitnesses to his resurrection (apostles) who were so convinced that they packed up, left their family, spread the gospel across the region, and suffered terrible deaths happily. That is why the "FSM" comparison does not hold up. FSM is a figment of some man's imagination. Jesus Christ (and other figures) are actually based in history, not just "mythology" as some would like to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
            The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" is not a good comparison to use. No one has ever claimed to see or have contact with it, as in true religions. There is no record of it's existence as there is in Christianity with Jesus Christ. It's not like people randomly created the figure of Jesus Christ and made a religion around him, there were eyewitnesses to his resurrection (apostles) who were so convinced that they packed up, left their family, spread the gospel across the region, and suffered terrible deaths happily. That is why the "FSM" comparison does not hold up. FSM is a figment of some man's imagination. Jesus Christ (and other figures) are actually based in history, not just "mythology" as some would like to believe.
            Which one doesn't belong?

Moses
            Lao Tsu
            Buddha
            Confucius
            Jesus Christ
            St. Paul
            St. Augustine
            Flying Spaghetti Monster
            Mohammed
            St. Thomas Aquinas
            Martin Luther
            Gandhi
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

You guys totally missed the point. You're focusing on "FSM" and ignoring the rest of my post. I used FSM as an example. Insert any non-JC or Yaweh god in its place and read it again.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Regarding the soul or anything else that "can't be proven or disproven," please note that that does not make either outcome equally likely. FSM cannot be proven or disproven either, but would you say it's as likely that he exists as it is that he does not? Think about that... that was created to illustrate the hypocrisy of the belief in a god, especially a particularly god in light of all of the different religions people subscribe to in the world.
                How is it hypocritical to learn the teachings of someone who transformed entire populations? You're focusing too much on those who boast that their religion is the only "correct" religion. If you were to compare many of the writings, you'll find similarities and differences but more than likely similarities. Anyone that has studied world religions or has been exposed to different cultures and religions understands that religion is a personal philosophy, much of which has been handed down from generation to generation.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                  How is it hypocritical to learn the teachings of someone who transformed entire populations? You're focusing too much on those who boast that their religion is the only "correct" religion. If you were to compare many of the writings, you'll find similarities and differences but more than likely similarities. Anyone that has studied world religions or has been exposed to different cultures and religions understands that religion is a personal philosophy, much of which has been handed down from generation to generation.
                  Most people do believe that their own is the only correct religion. Most Christians would tell you, theirs is the true god and those who believe in those wrong ones will be going hell. However many of these other religions have scripture too or other "evidence" that they point to. And, "Transformed entire populations"? Are you suggesting Christianity is the correct believe system because of the number of people who believe? Because by that logic, Islam would be the "correct" one.
                  [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                  -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Most people do believe that their own is the only correct religion. Most Christians would tell you, theirs is the true god and those who believe in those wrong ones will be going hell. However many of these other religions have scripture too or other "evidence" that they point to. And, "Transformed entire populations"? Are you suggesting Christianity is the correct believe system because of the number of people who believe? Because by that logic, Islam would be the "correct" one.
                    That's news to me, different people around the world have been exposed to different scriptures that have affected their ancestral and cultural development. There are pockets of natives that probably have never come into contact with the developed world but they still have their own teachings and views of the world that were passed down from generation to generation.

Perhaps you're referring to those that have never left their hometown let alone their state and are a victim of government sponsored and endorsed propaganda. As I stated before, there is no "correct" or "incorrect". As far as I know the difference between the two is Christians are taught that Jesus was the son of God and Muslims are taught that Jesus was just a prophet since the prophet Muhommad was said to be raised with Christian theology but gained popularity by defeating an enormous army of men against all odds which is what spawned Islam.

Comment

In Christianity the scriptures teach that all other belief systems are wrong. I think it's the same for Islam and Judaism. Basically, when someone's religion is wrong, you have the right to make war with them to subvert them or destroy them. They are to be regarded as sub-human.

I do not agree with this, but I can see how it can be used politically and spiritually to lead the men under a religious war to conquer and establish their order over the world. The military expansion of Islam is a classic example of this, overcoming Christians, pagans, xxxs, Zoroastrians, Buddhists, Hindus... by the sword, in the name of Allah.
                      Last edited by jgk3; 10-20-2009, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X