Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is this the end of the Diaspora?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this the end of the Diaspora?

It is true that the only place that we as Armenians can truly remain Armenians in Armenia, unfortunately though lately what Sargsyan and Nalbandyan did by signing those deadly protocols with turkey's imposed pre-conditions, I believe that Armenia's sovereignty is at stake along with Artsakh's. It is true that only by living in the homeland one can fight for her or his country. However, today's Armenian government is far from being fair with the people (I am going to say democratically) is not being fair and just. I have just read in the Armenian news that the people in our homeland can't even rallye against the protocols. We must have a government that is fair in Armenia, that the people are treated justly, fairly, well and not only the government officials, their families and their friends or because they are paid by the government; but the entire nation must be treated justly and fairly. They must have better opportunities to have good jobs.

Yes, Armenia is the sole and the only treatment against assymilation; but what is our president of Armenia and his administration doing to allure Diasporan Armenians to repatriate? They must be more patriotic themselves, show the Diasporan Armenians with their acts of democracy, their love for their people and their country and not just for their own power or for their pockets. It is proper for all or most of us to repatriate to Armenia as there are a great number of us that are still very patriotic in the Diaspora and love to see Armenia on the map forever; but repatriating is a great step towards this goal, because as my mother said it a year ago and I'll say the same that there is no hope for Armenians to remain Armenians forever here in the Diaspora, thus there is no future for us in here (not as Armenians). My point is that the Armenian president and his cabinet must work towards that goal by showing the Diasporans their true acts of democracy, their devotion towards their country by being fair and open with the people of the entire nation of Armenia; providing them good jobs, seeing that the brilliant young generation of Armenians have the better jobs, that they are being paid very well and not just putting them in institutions that are paid with minimal wages. These are but some of the things that I can come up with at this time.

All I am saying is that yes by repatriating we can make a difference and make Armenia thrive more and remain Armenians forever ourselves; our children and our children's children, but Armenia's government and their cabinet have also a huge role in this matter to lure the Diasporans to repatriate by being themselves much more democratic and patriotic than they are acting with and showing to the Armenian people now in the homeland.
    Last edited by Anoush; 10-26-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Ehhhh... unless the Armenian government makes Armenia more inviting to Armenians than foreign governments...
      Not to mention making it more inviting for Turkey (comparatively to the Diaspora) to establish relations with Armenia. Anyway...

The protocols are contrary to the idea that Diasporans have of Armenia. It is a shame that through the protocols, Armenia is displaying an image so contrary to what the Diaspora believes in, contrary to what kids growing up here should be believing in - attachment to the homland and the seeking of justice. If things continue the way they are today, if the Armenian government is betraying its own nation, what incentive or justification is there for a Diasporan to continue expressing and investing in his Armenianness, not to mention reestablishing in Armenia?

So in sum I'll say this: with the protocols Armenia is stabbing itself in the back...

Comment

Originally posted by Davo88 View Post
        Not to mention making it more inviting for Turkey (comparatively to the Diaspora) to establish relations with Armenia. Anyway...

The protocols are contrary to the idea that Diasporans have of Armenia. It is a shame that through the protocols, Armenia is displaying an image so contrary to what the Diaspora believes in, contrary to what kids growing up here should be believing in - attachment to the homland and the seeking of justice. If things continue the way they are today, if the Armenian government is betraying its own nation, what incentive or justification is there for a Diasporan to continue expressing and investing in his Armenianness, not to mention reestablishing in Armenia?

So in sum I'll say this: with the protocols Armenia is stabbing itself in the back...
        However the battle by no means is over Davo. Diasporans and in the Motherland we should still stick together and continue to support the Armenian people in Armenia regardless. If we are not united then we are making our enemies the turks and the azeris job better and faster to make us all lose our motherland and with it our identity. After all we are Armenians and Armenians are very resilient nationality and people. We must continue to fight for the continuation of our freedom and the lands that we have today, but see to it that the government in the Motherland act better and stop the totalitarianism and minimize the corruption, plus same as you I am very dismayed with the protocols and the outcome of it as I see it very dangerous for our sovereignty. And we have to come together and see that the protocols do not pass or else. Bottom line, we must continue our fight whether in Diaspora or in the Motherland and we must not give up our fight for the continuation of our sovereignty and our rights for Genocide recognition and reparations.

Our job is to continue our plight, our cause for survival and yes to fight for it for our children and our children's children sake. Whether some like it or not, it would be good for our Republic that Diasporans repatriate; but as I said above the government of RA must also play their role by being more patriotic, less totalitarian, have much less corruption and be fair and just and loving towards their nation. After all, when Diasporans see improvement in the Motherland then I am sure more and more people will repatriate. It is the wish of every patriotic Armenian that this happens and to become a more united nation, to have a stronger Armenia economically, strategically and in every which way. By all means the war is not over for Armenians all around the globe and we must all fight for the sake of our Motherland and for our survival as a nation.
        Last edited by Anoush; 10-27-2009, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
          However the battle by no means is over Davo. Diasporans and in the Motherland we should still stick together and continue to support the Armenian people in Armenia regardless. If we are not united then we are making our enemies the turks and the azeris job better and faster to make us all lose our motherland and with it our identity. After all we are Armenians and Armenians are very resilient nationality and people. We must continue to fight for the continuation of our freedom and the lands that we have today, but see to it that the government in the Motherland act better and stop the totalitarianism and minimize the corruption, plus same as you I am very dismayed with the protocols and the outcome of it as I see it very dangerous for our sovereignty. And we have to come together and see that the protocols do not pass or else. Bottom line, we must continue our fight whether in Diaspora or in the Motherland and we must not give up our fight for the continuation of our sovereignty and our rights for Genocide recognition and reparations.

Our job is to continue our plight, our cause for survival and yes to fight for it for our children and our children's children sake. Whether we like it or not, still it would be good for Diasporans to repatriate, but as I said above the government of RA must also play their role by being more patriotic, less totalitarian, have much less corruption and be fair and just and loving towards their nation. After all, when Diasporans see improvement in the Motherland then I am sure more and more people will repatriate. It is the wish of every patriotic Armenian that this happens and to become a more united nation, to have a stronger Armenia economically, strategically and in every which way. By all means the war is not over for Armenians all around the globe and we all must fight for the sake of our Motherland and for our survival as a nation.
          Very well said Anoush.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaPapa View Post
            Why did Antranig Pasha not live and die in Yerevan? Dro? Garegin Njdeh?

it isn't with pride that I criticize Armenia but rather, with hopes that those living in Yerevan will know the whole history of what being Armenian is, and not just what the Soviets taught. The soviets were anti-nationalists and cleansed a lot of history books to prevent ethnic strive from leading to any civil war within the union...especially in the Caucasus.

Also, we are from Historic Armenia, which was not under Imperial Russia. We have no roots there, and though we're willing to make it our home, not when it would be in name only.

Monte Melkonian was a realist. he never expected Western Armenia to be liberated and wished only for Turkey to overcome its fascist regime and its genocide denial. he worked with many Turkish, Kurdish and other leftists. I wish the same for myself that he did...the ability to return to my ancestral homeland, to recreate Armenian communities. There are many obstacles in repatriating and he wanted a progressive move to overcome them all. Eventual repopulation of Armenians in Turkish lands was one of them, but that would be impossible without existing Armenian people on those lands.

I highly recommend you read that book to further understand what our mindset is like. Also, keep in mind that many volunteers to Artsakh returned to Los Angeles, Boston, Beirut, and Tehran.

Israel truly has independence, and a general will from the government to populate the land with as many xxxs as possible. The Russian state of Armenia does not have any interest of populating Russian Armenia with Diasporan Armenians (akhpar-jans). We are a threat to them, and the ARF also has a lot of historic animosity towards them.

I am also sorry that I feel as I do. I wish Armenia welcomed me, and gave me an opportunity to start a life there. Rather, it barely cares for the needs of its own existing citizens, and doesn't seem to want to represent our interests at all. Homeland? I can't call the former SSR my homeland. Not yet.
            I understand what you are saying dear Alpha. There is a lot of animus and pain, especially in light of recent developments. But like Anoush said, grass roots is what matters. And again remember your hero (who is without any doubt) Monte Melkonian's approach, who without a moment's doubt KNEW that what is left of historic Armenia (or today's Republic along with liberated Artsakh) IS our Motherland. He embraced the Armenian Republic and the national liberation struggle in Artsakh with all his heart, with all the baggage and mistakes, past and present.

The people in Armenia feel alienated towards the regime and its policies also, so it is not a Diaspora-Motherland divide. This is only and only what our enemies want. BOTH Western and Eastern Armenia are part of One - Free, Independent and United Armenia. This is a historic truth, even if the current policies by the said regime do not reflect this truth.

Comment

Dear Catharsis I find all your posts very valuable in here and I am in agreement with them also. Your patriotism and your sound mind touches me and I am very glad that you are here with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
                Dear Catharsis I find all your posts very valuable in here and I am in agreement with them also. Your patriotism and your sound mind touches me and I am very glad that you are here with us.
                Thank you Anoush, as I appreciate your posts very much. I hope we can forge better understanding of ourselves and bridge a UNITY through exchange of knowledge and perspectives.

We are too fragmented as it is, let us form a basis of what all of us SHARE and what brings us together through dialogue and mutual respect.

Comment

I think people are delusional to think that Armenians in Armenia are not just as prone to assimilation as those in the diaspora... especially if the government's stance remains the way it is and the Turks move in. The youth are already susceptible to foreign media programming and pop culture. Much of the work force leaves Armenia to find work. There is still Russian influence. I'm going to have to agree with AlphaPapa....

"I am also sorry that I feel as I do. I wish Armenia welcomed me, and gave me an opportunity to start a life there. Rather, it barely cares for the needs of its own existing citizens, and doesn't seem to want to represent our interests at all. Homeland? I can't call the former SSR my homeland. Not yet."
                  "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by Catharsis View Post
                    Thank you Anoush, as I appreciate your posts very much. I hope we can forge better understanding of ourselves and bridge a UNITY through exchange of knowledge and perspectives.

We are too fragmented as it is, let us form a basis of what all of us SHARE and what brings us together through dialogue and mutual respect.
                    Absolutely! We cannot give up the ship, but unite much more than before both Diaspora and the Motherland as the whole world is watching us now. The powerful nations and the West know that they very much wronged us and played dirty politiks with us once more; but that's when we must unite even better and more than before. We must also fight against the wrongdoings of RA's government and their officials to see to it that they get on the right tracks, but at the same time we must stand with our brothers and sisters in the Motherland. They need us and we need them for our country's sake and for our Artsakh.
                    Last edited by Anoush; 10-27-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

It's amazing how much difference, separateness, division some people see amongst Armenians, specially coming from people who end their posting like so:

A fellow citizen of Historic Armenia...your neighbor, brother, advocate.

All Armenians are my blood.

Empty slogans meant to make oneself feel good and self-righteous about oneself.

All this prejudicial thinking that oh no he's from "Russia Armenia" I can't get along with him, she's a barsgahye she's ignorant and a criminal, etc.

The plight of our people has been being forced to live among other people and nationalities and cultures so that we've picked up the same characteristics of the society at large after living there for many many years. That's natural and understandable.

And don't you see, if we keep living separated as a nation in all kinds of places these differences won't decrease but multiply.

If we want to unify and become one nation, we have to congregate together in one place and that one place is Armenia, where we can work to develop and advance our distinct and unique culture and in that way to contribute to the human civilization. Because right now as it is, by living in Canada, we are helping to develop and advance the distinct and unique culture of Canada and not Armenia. If we are living in Chile, we are helping to develop and advance the distinct and unique culture of Chile and not Armenia. If we are living in ....

Comment

Working...
                      X