Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins interview with Bill O'Reilly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Richard Dawkins interview with Bill O'Reilly

Originally posted by HyeClown View Post
    What does science or the pursuit of knowledge have to do with theism or atheism?
    This argument did start with Dawkins and O'Reilly, right? Dawkins position is characterized by what constitutes knowledge and the pursuit thereof through logic, reason and the scientific method. And as I said it is no more ideological than you opening a cupboard to see what's inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Stark Evade View Post
      This argument did start with Dawkins and O'Reilly, right? Dawkins position is characterized by what constitutes knowledge and the pursuit thereof through logic, reason and the scientific method. And as I said it is no more ideological than you opening a cupboard to see what's inside.
      Dawkins is what I would call a popular scientist, that is his greatest achievements have been in writing science publications. He hasn't invented or discovered anything more than opening a cupboard to see what's inside.

He can't possibly be compared to the likes of Newton, Tesla, Galileo, Pasteur... etc...
      I will prevail. I will seek justice. I will leave a footprint in this God forsaken world. I am Armenian.

Comment

Dawkins is what I would call a popular scientist, that is his greatest achievements have been in writing science publications. He hasn't invented or discovered anything more than opening a cupboard to see what's inside.

He can't possibly be compared to the likes of Newton, Tesla, Galileo, Pasteur... etc...
        It seems like an ad hominem and a red herring and a baby. But I congratulate you on your apparent list of popular scientists based on your criteria.
        Last edited by Stark Evade; 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM.

Comment

It seems like an ad hominem and a red herring and a baby. But I congratulate you on your apparent list of popular scientists based on your criteria.
          Called it what you will, it's the truth. Those aren't popular scientists, those are scientists that made significant changes to our quality of life through discoveries and inventions.
          I will prevail. I will seek justice. I will leave a footprint in this God forsaken world. I am Armenian.

Comment

Called it what you will, it's the truth. Those aren't popular scientists, those are scientists that made significant changes to our quality of life through discoveries and inventions.
            It seems like the ad hominem and the red herring are raising this baby to be strong and healthy.

Comment

It seems like the ad hominem and the red herring are raising this baby to be strong and healthy.
              Let me put it this way.... Richard Dawkins is much a scientist as George Bush is a Christian. Does that make any more sense?

Comment

Let me put it this way.... Richard Dawkins is much a scientist as George Bush is a Christian. Does that make any more sense?
                This is hilarious. You have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about and you keep repeating yourself. Go on, say it again. It's incredibly significant. Or, more likely you'll do some research and finally get what I'm talking about then either claim you knew all along or just change the subject.

Comment

This is hilarious. You have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about and you keep repeating yourself. Go on, say it again. It's incredibly significant. Or, more likely you'll do some research and finally get what I'm talking about then either claim you knew all along or just change the subject.
                  I know very well I'm insulting your sham of a hero... it's only my opinion, don't take it too personally.

Comment

Atheism is a strange passion that desperately attempts to dissimulate itself under the guise of rational thinking.
                    Most people who hold themselves to be "atheist" are not.
                    A consequent atheist is a nihilist.
                    What people believe to be atheism is often anti-clericalism, a-dogmatism or lack of faith.

The "atheism" of most self-assessed "atheists" is fundamentally an intellectual/conceptual attitude. As such, it cannot serve as an existential foundation for life, as life (and love, first and foremost) is not driven by intellect or ideology.

Such an attitude either reveals a lack of conscious understanding of what life really is and at the same time the existence of an implicit creed that has not been brought to the conscience, or, the existence of a creed that is conscious but kept hidden.

Ideologists are driven by the irrational love of their ideology, rationalists, by the love of reason they deify.

Rationalism is only a modern form of idolatry.

PS about atheism, it is very sad to see this passion flourishing among armenians.

Comment

Originally posted by axel View Post
                      Atheism is a strange passion that desperately attempts to dissimulate itself under the guise of rational thinking.
                      Most people who hold themselves to be "atheist" are not.
                      A consequent atheist is a nihilist.
                      What people believe to be atheism is often anti-clericalism, a-dogmatism or lack of faith.

The "atheism" of most self-assessed "atheists" is fundamentally an intellectual/conceptual attitude. As such, it cannot serve as an existential foundation for life, as life (and love, first and foremost) is not driven by intellect or ideology.

Such an attitude either reveals a lack of conscious understanding of what life really is and at the same time the existence of an implicit creed that has not been brought to the conscience, or, the existence of a creed that is conscious but kept hidden.

Ideologists are driven by the irrational love of their ideology, rationalists, by the love of reason they deify.

Rationalism is only a modern form of idolatry.

PS about atheism, it is very sad to see this passion flourishing among armenians.
                      I strongly disagree with most of what you said here. The foundation for life and love can be different things to different people. A atheist is not necesseraly a nihilist, he/she may think that life indeed has a purpose just not a devine one. The persuit of rational is one that i strongly encourage far more so then the misguided misdirection religion has to offer. The only thing preventing me from calling myself a atheist is the fact that we cannot prove the non-existence of diety (although there is far more proof for that argument then for the existence of a diety). There is no dought we do not have a good comprehention of our universe and that many things are far beyond our understanding but rationality gives us more answers every day and will continue to do so-expanding our understanding of all things. Rationality should be encouraged not villified by people like you and the spread of rational thinking among our people is only a good thing which i hope continues. Obviously some people are scared of rational thought and its consequences mostly because it sometimes goes against some long time tradition or train of thinking. Fear is what keeps people from being rational and conquering ones fears is a very liberating thing. Pretty much all religions try to use fear and they all lose their grip on people once people conquer their own fears and think for themselves. Once a fear is conquered, one can appreciate how silly it was in the first place and how much it was holding you back. Don't let fear drive your life, it will limit you to a nerrow mind and you will missout on most of what life has to offer.
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X