Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins interview with Bill O'Reilly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Richard Dawkins interview with Bill O'Reilly

Originally posted by axel View Post
    "What are you laughing at? You are laughing at yourself, oh you!" (Gogol)
    No I am laughing because you sound exactly like the caller in the video link I just sent you. I have stopped arguing with you because you aren't worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      It's too bad they only get the dumb callers on those shows... I guess that makes it easier to argue their case.

As far as Abiogenesis goes.... Evolution contradicts the Laws of Science, particularly the Law of Biogenesis.

There has been no scientific evidence that life has been produced through any scientific experiment. Not in any lab or any experiment. This exists only in the minds of evolutionists in the form of wishful thinking. The only thing that scientists have managed to accomplish is the creation of a few strands of amino acids.... with the help of electricity of course.
      Even if that is true Kanada its the closest thing we have that doesn't quote the bible and discredited scientists as 'irrefutable' scientific proof is the theory of evolution.

It is true that many people in the US, UK and Canada support creationism, but in the other parts of the world the theory of evolution is being (especially by the Catholic church) re-organised around Christian beliefs, and being shown to be not against Christianity at all.

Creationism basically only exists as a theory in the US, UK and Canada. In the rest of the world it is being swept away by the theory of evolution and this is by theists, agnostics and atheists, especially in Western (excluding the AG denying UK) and Eastern Europe , Asia and Australasia.
      Last edited by hipeter924; 11-27-2009, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeznik View Post
        The whole idea, in the Western world, that the universe is rational is based on a religious foundation, mainly Christianity. Furthermore, most of science in its development has been understood in the context in how God created things. Here is a quote from Sir Isaac Newton:

“It became Him (God) who created it to set it in order; and if he did so, it is unphilosophical to seek for any other origin of the world, or to pretend that it might arise out of a chaos by the mere laws of Nature.”
        I concurr. I've posted a related quote by Florensky:

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
        No I am laughing because you sound exactly like the caller in the video link I just sent you. I have stopped arguing with you because you aren't worth it.
        all right.
        Last edited by Federate; 11-27-2009, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, how does one overcome the solipsist hypothesis, if not by a leap of faith?
          I don't see any rational construction whatsoever that may invalidate it without appealing to a creed of some sort.
          I ask the question to those who hold themselves to be superior in intelligence. I hope they will have the kindness to answer me (in spite of my unworthiness) in a way I find both understandable and irrefutable.

Comment

"As for your dislike of Christianity, I must say Christianity is inherently attached to the Armenian soul, culture and being. It is being felt everywhere in Armenia and it's beautiful. Haven't you noticed that?"

Any religion can be both beutiful and very ugly, it all depends on what people do with it. Armenia also has a rich peagan heritage which still exists and is being observed along with chrystianity. As i said befor one can argue that Armenia made chrystianity not the other way around. Chrystianity is just another religion, there is nothing at all special or unique about it. The things i hear from those claiming to be chrystian men of god is as disturbing as those coming from the worst islamic fanatics or xxxish racists-even worst our chrystian-Armenian "men of god" like to blame the victims-our grandperants for the genocide that befell them. One such idiot said on april 24 that our grandparents deserved the genocide because they were not faithfull enough. Such idiotic rhetoric is typical of any religion including chrystianity, religion breeds ignorence, racism, discrimination...-these are in its nature. The dumbass justifying the genocide of his own people was put in power by like minded idiots who think like he does and they try to teach us these idiotic beliefs while ostrocising those who dont play along. There is nothing special or beutiful about these people, they make a living doing the same thing every week and treat their positin in the church like the job that it is.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Your critique is that of human feebleness. It doesn't have anything to do with God.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post

Any religion can be both beutiful and very ugly, it all depends on what people do with it. Armenia also has a rich peagan heritage which still exists and is being observed along with chrystianity. As i said befor one can argue that Armenia made chrystianity not the other way around. Chrystianity is just another religion, there is nothing at all special or unique about it. The things i hear from those claiming to be chrystian men of god is as disturbing as those coming from the worst islamic fanatics or xxxish racists-even worst our chrystian-Armenian "men of god" like to blame the victims-our grandperants for the genocide that befell them. One such idiot said on april 24 that our grandparents deserved the genocide because they were not faithfull enough. Such idiotic rhetoric is typical of any religion including chrystianity, religion breeds ignorence, racism, discrimination...-these are in its nature. The dumbass justifying the genocide of his own people was put in power by like minded idiots who think like he does and they try to teach us these idiotic beliefs while ostrocising those who dont play along. There is nothing special or beutiful about these people, they make a living doing the same thing every week and treat their positin in the church like the job that it is.
                Christianity is not to blame for the idiocy, barbarity and ignorance of some. Those anomalities are typical of people of any race, culture or religion. It happens in the non-religeous West as well.

The pagan culture is present in Armenia as well and it's beautiful but it is not as strong and notable as the Christian one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                  Christianity is not to blame for the idiocy, barbarity and ignorance of some. Those anomalities are typical of people of any race, culture or religion. It happens in the non-religeous West as well.

The pagan culture is present in Armenia as well and it's beautiful but it is not as strong and notable as the Christian one.
                  Personally some days I feel like the world would be a much better place without religion, these days are when I hear of religious extremism and intolerance, attacks on science, and disregard for human rights in some religions. So to be honest sometimes I 100% agree with Dawkins views that effectively religious is dangerous and damaging and has no value to society.

But most of the time and as a whole I tolerate and respect people's right to their beliefs and ideologies. I am basically a pacifist so I would never hurt another human being except in self defence, so I am fundamentally opposed to anyone who uses violence or force to defend/attack beliefs/ideologies.

I truly believe Secularism is the best way to go, simply because if the whole world was Secular and all religions were free to practice and also tolerated each other then the world would be a much safer, freer and happier place and the religious aspects of conflicts such as Palestine/Israel and even Turkey/Azerbaijan vs Armenia would not be as dangerous or severe.

Comment

Personally some days I feel like the world would be a much better place without religion, these days are when I hear of religious extremism and intolerance, attacks on science, and disregard for human rights in some religions. So to be honest sometimes I 100% agree with Dawkins views that effectively religious is dangerous and damaging and has no value to society.
                    Haven't some of the bloodiest wars in history been led by 'secular' states? Again if idiots misinterprete, misuse or abuse of religion, the problem is to be searched somewhere else.

I truly believe Secularism is the best way to go, simply because if the whole world was Secular and all religions were free to practice and also tolerated each other then the world would be a much safer, freer and happier place and the religious aspects of conflicts such as Palestine/Israel and even Turkey/Azerbaijan vs Armenia would not be as dangerous or severe.
                    The Palestino-Israeli conflict is not stemmed from religious fundementalism in my opinion. Palestine has been occupied by a bunch of racist, godless murderers who feel like home whereever they go.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                      Haven't some of the bloodiest wars in history been led by 'secular' states? Again if idiots misinterprete, misuse or abuse of religion, the problem is to be searched somewhere else.

The Palestino-Israeli conflict is not stemmed from religious fundementalism in my opinion. Palestine has been occupied by a bunch of racist, godless murderers who feel like home whereever they go.
                      Secularism means a separation of church and state. Most states are Secular in Europe and Asia, but it depends per country on how well the division is made. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secularity

Common misconceptions (before you ask):

1) In fact Hitler was a Roman Catholic (or at least claimed to be) and he said in one of this speeches "We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out." It's quite funny when such speeches exist that they still call Hitler an Atheist. http://atheism.about.com/od/isatheis...lerAtheist.htm

2) Turkey calls itself Secular, but obviously isn't due to the fact there is heavy Islamic influence in the running of the State (discriminatory policies on basis of religion against Christians and so forth).

3) The USSR was by no means Secular, the idea was not to simply separate religion and state but to destroy religion. Under Secularism the goal is not to destroy religion.

As for Israel/Palestine it is deeply grounded in religion, whether you call them godless the reality is that the motivations are always grounded on religion. When people put out the concept of Israel becoming Secular (and thus tolerant of other faiths...the horror) Israeli Religious Nationalists rant on about "we have to keep the xxxish State" in order to stop the nation becoming Secular.

During the deportations and ethnic cleansing during and prior to the Israeli war of independence that made way for the establishment of a xxxish state, they had no respect for religion and pushed the Palestinians ("weren't xxxs") out on basis of race. But then again they saw themselves as having a god given right to the land so that is why they did so.
                      Last edited by hipeter924; 11-28-2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X