Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is Russia an ally or foe, nowadays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Russia an ally or foe, nowadays?

Originally posted by Hye View Post

from all i wrote in my posts you got this two words out of it? indeed lol

Originally posted by Hye View Post
    As for the news posted by Haykakan
    Although I don't believe a lot in these press confrences I think this was what i was expecting and all the analyses by Azeri and Turkish and some Armenian sources that Russia was striking a deal in Krabakh against Armenia in Armenians back somehow failed but we must wait and see the actions. Again in my modest opinon Russia wants status quo in Karabakh i donno if you agree with me.
    Russia does want instability in region to stop western influence on bypassing oil/gas to eastern Europe under their nose..........but with the latest oil deal with Turkey and a some kind of an agreement that was made with USA (not verified), I am not so sure now.
    B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

This topic is has be talked about so much and yet some still have the need to bring it up again and again. Without Russian backing and support over the past 20 years there would be no Armenia to speak of today.
      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

When you tell someone: you are not your boss’s dog and he retorts “You are fool”. Can you explain why can't we get rid of the inferiority symptom: “reinforced” in us throughout recent centuries?

Does an honorable man loudly express his disagreement, when offended by his boss w/o a cause? Or he just laughs at himself to express his agreement with him? Do we have the courage to tell the mighty our opinion loudly? We are a power too, though geographically/militarily small, but …Tigran Petrosyan is our's. Please remember that all the leaders are very much similar to us.

Should one be scared of expressing his opinion loudly, if it differs from the boss’s one. No please express it because your boss also needs in it: to make correct, sustainable and long lasting decisions, that will affect his/their future, too.

Are the world’s countries composed of just puppets and superpowers or the majority belongs to the alternative kind. May be Armenia still is a puppet, but it never would be a puppet of puppets.

Thus in your/my opinion, I guess, (I’ve read all your posts HYE, EDDO and Dear: others) our first step is :

expressing our reasonable, not exaggerated, opinions on the alternatives to the "boss" to enable/help/enforce him to make sound/sustainable decisions.

The rest comes next. But let’s think about alternatives now.
        Last edited by gegev; 01-15-2010, 03:47 AM.

Comment

This might have been covered before but just to add to this thread and to put things in perspective, at least for myself if nothing:

Obviously Armenia and Russia have close diplomatic ties and Armenia is considered the only Russian ally left in the region where Russian soldiers are welcomed and there is no restriction on Russian language. Armenia supports (the dying) CIS and is a member of the military alliance CSTO which she considers essential for her security from Turkey and Azerbaijan. There is a treaty of friendship that has been signed and several other documents that allows Russian bases (102nd being the largest) in Armenia with Russian soldiers in conjunction with Armenian troops (FSB) patrolling the Turkish and Iranian borders. Armenia and Russia relationship goes way back and has been kept by Russian’s role as Armenia’s protector against feared aggression from Turkey. Military cooperation between the two got closer after Georgian political crisis of 2003.

Russia also appears that she is taking control over Armenia’s economy in every avenue possible. Virtually the entire Armenia’s energy sector is controlled by Russia especially after Armenia handed over the management of the nuclear powerplant and six hydroelectric plants as a part of the equity-to-dept deal. Armenia’s telecommunication sector is owned by Rostelecom. Russian financial institutions (often run by Russian Armenians) are getting into the countries financial and banking systems. Russia is Armenia’s largest trade partner and her economy is closely tied to the health of the Russian economy. In fact Armenian government does everything to stay in good terms with Russia because of how vulnerable she is to any disruption of energy resources from Russia, be it by purpose or not. There are something like 1.8 million Armenians in Russia with some Armenians having strong ties in the Russian political arena who send home something like $110 million a year. Armenia uses the Armenia Diaspora political force in US and the EU (to some degree) to gain governmental aid and assistance. Trade between the two countries have been the highest and could possibly soon reach 1 billion a year however there are transportation problems and bottle necks to deal with.

Armenia’s official policy is not to pick sides. She participates in NATO partnership for peace exercises and contributes quite a bit to the War on Terror. USA and EU concerns in the region are mostly about oil politics and pipelines in Azerbaijan and the Caspian Sea. With Georgia plans up in smoke Armenia can become a bigger point of interest (protocols anybody?).

Either way you look at it Armenia’s dependence on Russia is actually growing, not declining. However there is a growing Armenian dissatisfaction and discontent.
          - Armenia didn’t get the low gas price (per tcm) she was expecting from Russia in return for her loyalty.
          - Armenians are very unhappy and think that they were cheated on that “dept-to-equity” deal. The deal involved handing over several major industrial enterprises in Armenia to Russia in exchange for Russia forgiving Armenia’s $100 million debt, which now gives even greater power of control to Russia.
          - During the Presidential election fiasco Russia declared that the elections were free and fair, showing that they will support any leadership that is pro Kremlin regardless of whatever or whoever.
          - Russia closed its borders with Georgia which also meant not allowing goods to reach Armenia regardless of all the pleas of Armenian Government to at least allow that, all was ignored by Russia as if they had joined the Turkish Azeri blockade. Some Armenian politicians connected the reason to Russia punishing Armenia for sending troops to Iraq.
          - Russia objected to building a pipeline in Armenia to transport Iranian gas to Georgia and later on to Europe.
          - Russia also put a limit on the diameter of the pipeline from Iran to Armenia.
          - Russia is increasing her trade and relations with Turkey and has made oil deals.
          - Russia still has cooperation to certain degree with Azerbaijan in oil politics.
          - Russian–US relations are slowly warming up as Russia continues to loose more influence in her old backyard (Orange revolution in Ukraine).

I guess the question is that maintaining this type of relationship with Russia..........is it really the right move or beneficial for Armenia in the long run seeing how things are changing in the world.
          B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Eddo Russia did all that cause the armenia wonted and persuaded this to hapen,often people mislead alliance and economical assistant...all of the grand projects is most of all in Armenia's favour a true friend of RUSSIA,
            even if u where of position of power in armenia nothing big will change in the relations of the president with russia.as the Gegev said they serve armenia most of all,.

Even so the greatest and unexploited richness of armenia is here own people ..diaspora or not ..the only thing that will prevale in armenia is cause of its own people and not the great assistant of an allie or superpower...if things were in that way then armenia should not exist thousands years ...

Comment

Eddo i think your misperception of what is going on is clouding your judjment. 1-Russia is getting stronger not weaker 2-USA is getting weaker 3-Russia, unlike any other country, has real interests in Armenia on many different levels. Russia is set to be a super power again thus we have every reason to stay at her side.
              Gegev you simply dont want to understand that there are no other alternatives.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                Eddo i think your misperception of what is going on is clouding your judjment. 1-Russia is getting stronger not weaker 2-USA is getting weaker...
                I make no such claim and in fact I do agree, Russia seems to be growing stronger to a certain degree but the fact is that all ex Soviet Blocs are gone except for Armenia. That by itself is a big loss of power for Russia..........and yes, US economy is down the tube and she is not as strong as she used to be.

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                3-Russia, unlike any other country, has real interests in Armenia on many different levels....
                Name them.
                B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Name them.
                  1 Russia wants panturkism about as much as we do. We share the interest of not allowing the turcks to unite and strengthen even more, this is in both our national interests.
                  2 Russia has made many investments in Armenia and it would profit from them more if Armenia's economy progressed thus we share some economic interests.(both interests would be served well should the turckish border open)
                  3 Russia and Armenia share the same faith and are both alarmed and threatened by the spread of islam around them. You know how i feel about faith and religion but in this case it realy is a factor.
                  4 Russia wants to make an example of Georgia and Armenia. It will punish Georgia by rewarding Armenia. If Georgia does not play ball with Russia then Russia will punish it as it already has and will look for a alternative country to develope (Armenia). In this sence Georgias loss is our gain.
                  These are just some of the factors and there are others but i think my previous post along with this one answers your question "I guess the question is that maintaining this type of relationship with Russia..........is it really the right move or beneficial for Armenia in the long run seeing how things are changing in the world. " Not only is it beneficial but it is very much neccessery.
                  Many of the "bad" things you desc ribe that Russia has done are the direct results of the USA backed bullxxxx in the region. Russia and Georgia were at war so of course it had to close the border.
                  You mention them raising the price of gas but forget that it was kept well bellow market value for for 20 years.
                  Russia has given us loans when we needed them and over $100,000,000.00 dollars of FREE weapons.
                  It provides us with a complex and effective air defence network and has a army base to in hayastan to protect us.
                  I think the question asked in the title of this thread is rather silly. Allies (more like the puppet and his master in this case) dont need to be equal or fair to each other all the time yet they can still continue to be allies. Had Russia considered us a foe Armenia simply wouldnt be there now.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
                    - Armenians are very unhappy and think that they were cheated on that “dept-to-equity” deal. The deal involved handing over several major industrial enterprises in Armenia to Russia in exchange for Russia forgiving Armenia’s $100 million debt, which now gives even greater power of control to Russia.
                    Lets discuss the Mars electronic microchip producing factory's fate of the:
                    Property against the Armenian debt to Russia, deal:

The Russian government got from Armenia against the $100 million dollar debt:

1) Mars electronic microchip producing factory,
                    2) the Hrazdan thermal power plant,
                    3-5) three research institutes.

It was announced that the military production conglomerate - Defense Systems “Oboronitelnye Sistemy” as a possible operator of these Armenian enterprises.

Mars electronic microchip producing factory, which has military application, too, was built and equipped in the late 1980s by a British electronics firm for more than $300 million dollar, paid by the Soviet government.

Corruption and the Russian-Armenian governments collude resulted in this, the government officials got astronomical bribes, Armenian State budget lost huge amount of income. But the major looser was the Armenian population and this gradually will result in anti Russian sentiments.
                    Although it is widely known that the Russian government is corrupt, Russia should refrain from these tactics, at least against its ally to maintain long lasting friendly relationship between the nations by assisting not worsening the ally’s economic position.

What does the Mars now?
                    During recent years Russian government several times promised to restart the factory operations at full capacity but …
                    The Mars GIANT now operates on the level of a middle sized department store. The GIANT with Russia’s “assistance” produced a small egg for all Armenian population. And who knows if the precious equipment is still there or transferred to …
                    Last edited by gegev; 01-16-2010, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gegev View Post
                      Lets discuss the Mars electronic microchip producing factory's fate of the:
                      Property against the Armenian debt to Russia, deal:

The Russian government got from Armenia against the $100 million dollar debt:

1) Mars electronic microchip producing factory,
                      2) the Hrazdan thermal power plant,
                      3-5) three research institutes.

It was announced that the military production conglomerate - Defense Systems “Oboronitelnye Sistemy” as a possible operator of these Armenian enterprises.

Mars electronic microchip producing factory, which has military application, too, was built and equipped in the late 1980s by a British electronics firm for more than $300 million dollar, paid by the Soviet government.

Corruption and the Russian-Armenian governments collude resulted in this, the government officials got astronomical bribes, Armenian State budget lost huge amount of income. But the major looser was the Armenian population and this gradually will result in anti Russian sentiments.
                      Although it is widely known that the Russian government is corrupt, Russia should refrain from these tactics, at least against its ally to maintain long lasting friendly relationship between the nations by assisting not worsening the ally’s economic position.

What does the Mars now?
                      During recent years Russian government several times promised to restart the factory operations at full capacity but …
                      The Mars GIANT now operates on the level of a middle sized department store. The GIANT with Russia’s “assistance” produced a small egg for all Armenian population. And who knows if the precious equipment is still there or transferred to …
                      Let me get this straight- you are upset that Russia bought the very factory it paid to build during the soviet years? It really is as funy as it sounds but what is even funnier is that you are complaining about it.
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X