Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

CBS Television's segment on the Armenian Genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CBS Television's segment on the Armenian Genocide

Originally posted by ashot24 View Post

Oh, and now the Turks are protesting:
    http://www.turkishforum.com.tr/en/co...de-propoganda/
    They are so well organized, I think we should send a thank-you letter to all the CBS representatives

Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:47 PM
    Subject: High Officials – CBS Contacts

Les Moonves, President & CEO, CBS Corp.

[email protected]

Nina Tessler, President, CBS Entertainment

[email protected]

Kelly Kahl, Senior Executive Vice President, CBS Primetime

[email protected]

Melissa Perez

[email protected]

David Stapf, President, CBS Paramount Network TV

[email protected]

Nancy Tellem, President, CBS Television Studios Entertainment Group

[email protected]

Sumner Redstone, Executive Chairman and Founder

[email protected]

CBS Audience Services:

[email protected]
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      They are so well organized, I think we should send a thank-you letter to all the CBS representatives
      Agreed!

I also hope they are serious enough to be strong and stand on their position, and don't compel to satisfy the Turks with their hard protests, complaint actions and everything that's going to come against them. I hope they are not like Euronews...

Comment

Originally posted by ara87 View Post
        i thought it was done well too. As for the bones, they aren't technically proof unless you genetically test them, and date them.
        Genetically test them and compare them to what? Also, I'm not sure what kind of accuracy you can get on dating bones that are a 100 years old. +/- 50 years would throw a wrench into the whole thing.

Here is a sample thank-you letter that I wrote up incase anyone else would like to display their gratitude. It doesn't have to be long, just something simple and to the point.

Dear ______________,

I want to express my gratitude for airing the recent segment on the Armenian Genocide during the program 60 minutes. I was content to see that in common with other leading news organizations, the Armenian Genocide was represented as a historical fact.

I am aware that there is a lobby which is vehemently against shedding light on this extremely important and sensitive part of history.

Thank you for placing journalistic ethics above all other considerations.

Sincere Regards,
        Last edited by KanadaHye; 03-01-2010, 05:57 AM.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by ashot24 View Post

Oh, and now the Turks are protesting:
          http://www.turkishforum.com.tr/en/co...de-propoganda/
          Anyone that wants to leave a message at the bottom of that protest page, the LAST CAPITAL OF THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE was istanbul (you need it to put it in the box next to the "gonder" button.

Comment

I really hate that America is using our tragic history for their political games. This recent positive attitude toward the issue is because of the recent negative Turkish-Israeli relations. I don't care how much I'm going to be hated for this: I'm on the side of Turks on this issue. We SHOULDN'T mix politics with history (granted, the nation mixing politics with history the most in the world is Turkey), but I oppose this xxxish lobby. I don't want the recognition of the Armenian Genocide to be based on the mood of xxxs.

This doesn't help our cause. Following this, Turks will use the argument "Armenians mix politics with history" even more. The Republic of Turkey will stand on this argument even more firmly, regardless of the fact that it's not Armenians who are mixing politics with history but the Americans. If the United States is going to recognize the genocide, let them do it after reviewing their (and others') archives, regardless of their dis/advantages, not when xxxs decide they hate Turkey.

The evidence for the intent is plenty, Turkey wouldn't be so strict with who has access to what in their "open" archives otherwise.

Comment

But that Turkish foreign minister guy was really a nice gol for us, and it wasn't even offside

Comment

60 Minutes: Battle Over History

Battle Over History
                The Armenians call it their holocaust - the 1915 forced deportation and massacre of more than a million Armenians by the Turks. But the Turks and our own government have refused to call it genocide.
                The video:
                60 Minutes: Battle Over History

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                  Just read the comcast description and it avoided using the G word instead it called it massacre and deportation. This is sounding more like a warning shot by the zionists to turckey in preview of the approaching april 24 push to Genocide recognition. It is pretty sickening how the zionists use this issue to benefit themselves while the victims get nothing. Anyone want more proof that there is no god?

Yes, this OBVIOUSLY, proves that God doesn't exist! Your logic is just off the charts.
                  For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                  to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by SevSpitak View Post
                    I really hate that America is using our tragic history for their political games. This recent positive attitude toward the issue is because of the recent negative Turkish-Israeli relations. I don't care how much I'm going to be hated for this: I'm on the side of Turks on this issue. We SHOULDN'T mix politics with history (granted, the nation mixing politics with history the most in the world is Turkey), but I oppose this xxxish lobby. I don't want the recognition of the Armenian Genocide to be based on the mood of xxxs.

This doesn't help our cause. Following this, Turks will use the argument "Armenians mix politics with history" even more. The Republic of Turkey will stand on this argument even more firmly, regardless of the fact that it's not Armenians who are mixing politics with history but the Americans. If the United States is going to recognize the genocide, let them do it after reviewing their (and others') archives, regardless of their dis/advantages, not when xxxs decide they hate Turkey.

The evidence for the intent is plenty, Turkey wouldn't be so strict with who has access to what in their "open" archives otherwise.
                    The Genocide will not be recognized by America until the the J3ws decide it's time. It's as simple as that. Had the Arabs not revolted against the Ottoman Empire, western powers wouldn't have stood a chance and Israel wouldn't exist today. To claim there is no correlation between all these events is just plain foolish.

Comment

If Turks had not denied the Genocide, CBS wouldn’t have aired this show
                      Turks have only themselves to blame for their unhappiness with the airing of a revealing program on the Armenian Genocide by CBS on February 28.

Were it not for the Turkish government’s constant denials and distortions, the Armenian Genocide could have become a forgotten episode in world history. Yet, because Turks refuse to face their crimes and persist in concocting outrageous lies, fair-minded people everywhere take various measures to set the record straight, as CBS did in “60 Minutes” last Sunday. As long as Turks continue their refusal to acknowledge the truth, they will suffer the indignation of being called mass murderers and genocide deniers by the international community -- an deserved punishment for committing such heinous crimes, and then covering them up! The Triumvirate of executioners of the Armenian nation -- Talaat, Enver, and Jemal -- could have never imagined that millions of people around the world, a century later, would still remember the dastardly crimes they committed in 1915?

It was noteworthy that several days before CBS aired this program, Turkish organizations were already urging their members to write to the network’s executives to complain about the segment on the Armenian Genocide, even though they had no clue about its content! The well-known Armenian saying, "kogh sirde togh," aptly describes this bizarre Turkish behavior. Loosely translated, this expression characterizes "a thief afraid of being exposed." With a guilty conscience, Turks constantly fear of being blamed for committing genocide and loudly proclaim their innocence, long before anyone accuses them of perpetrating such a crime.

The 12-minute segment on the Armenian Genocide totally debunked the Turkish myth of innocence in a most dramatic fashion. CBS correspondent Bob Simon along with Prof. Peter Balakian traveled all the way to Deir Zor, Syria -- “the Armenian Auschwitz” -- where they uncovered bone fragments of Armenian victims, by simply scratching the surface of the desert sand with their fingertips.

The shocking images must have left an indelible mark on the minds of millions of viewers. Fast talking Turkish denialists could not wipe away what the audience saw with their own eyes! No one could believe former Turkish Ambassador Nabi Sensoy’s deceptive words, that Armenians were not killed but simply deported. When pressed by Bob Simon, Sensoy first dismissed the significance of the unearthed bones, and then tried to couch his falsehoods in an aura of respectability by stating that UN’s definition of genocide required the element of "intent." He finally admitted that many Armenians "perished," but that was not the Turks’ intent. How could 1.5 million men, women, and children, rounded up from all corners of the Ottoman Empire, vanish into thin air? Turkey’s Ambassador to Washington, who was unceremoniously dismissed from his post after that interview, conveniently forgot to mention another clause of the UN definition of genocide: "Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction." It is regrettable that CBS provided a national platform to this genocide denialist -- something it would never do when airing a program on the Holocaust. Would CBS put on the air a Nazi or a Holocaust denier to present "the other side of the story?"

Of course, it is not possible to cover all facets of the Armenian Genocide in 12 minutes. The segment on “60 Minutes” could have been even more devastating to the Turks, had the producers of been a bit more diligent in their investigation. For example, it is not true that "no U.S. President has ever uttered the word genocide." It is well known that Pres. Reagan, in his Presidential Proclamation of April 22, 1981, made reference to the Armenian Genocide.

Bob Simon also stated that Turkish-instigated political pressure blocked the passage of a congressional resolution on the Armenian Genocide in 2007. What he neglected to mention were the two resolutions that were adopted by the U.S. House of Representatives in 1975 and 1984. When Simon asked the Turkish envoy why eight former U.S. Secretaries of State had rallied behind Turkey to kill the 2007 resolution, Amb. Sensoy responded by pointing to Turkey’s importance to the United States. He was implying that geopolitical considerations far outweighed the loss of 1.5 million lives!

Finally, Bob Simon wrongly asserted that the Armenia-Turkey Protocols contained a clause calling for the formation of a historical commission "to rule on whether a genocide took place." Although this clause is vaguely worded, it does not call for the establishment for such a fact-finding commission.

Regardless of these errors, millions of Americans who watched the program must have come away with the clear understanding that in 1915 the Turks had engaged in "race extermination," as U.S. Ambassador Henry Morgenthau had reported to the State Department.

In order to counter the negative Turkish comments inundating CBS, readers are urged to send e-mails thanking "60 Minutes" for its enlightening program that effectively fights genocide denial. To view the TV program and send a comment, please click on: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6253043n.

We also thank Prof. Balakian for his eloquent explanations and for accompanying the CBS crew to the Syrian desert.

By Harut Sassounian
                      Publisher, The California Courier

http://panorama.am/en/politics/2010/03/02/cbs-genocide/

Comment

Working...
                      X