Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Some high school teachers can’t pass university admission tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some high school teachers can’t pass university admission tests

I guess about 30% of high school teachers are unable to pass the High School automated graduation tests designed for the University/Institute admission, in the subject they teach. How they can prepare the children for the tests/exams?

The High School graduates who want to apply for the University/Institute admission you can divide into two groups:

First group: Those who are lazy and/or unable to study at University/Institute or both. They don’t take the High School automated graduation tests for the University/Institute admission.

And then they get enrolled to “study” at private Universities/Institutes that don’t require taking the tests and usually the “students” don’t attend classes. They just pay tuition and some bribe to “professors” and at the end get “Honor” Diplomas. Then some of them, who can afford paying about $1,000 bribe, are getting hired as a high school teacher. Just imagine how they can teach the children to take tests.

Second group: consists of the schoolchildren who pass the tests and get enrolled in state owned Universities/Institutes, which are usually qualified educational establishment. But only 10% percent of the students learn in fact the subjects they take. Then again most of the illiterate students with major in teaching, who can afford paying about $1,000 bribe, are getting hired as a high school teacher. Most of those usually aren’t the smart ones.

Why some of the young High School teachers are that illiterate?

Private Universities/Institutes/“Academies” in Armenia.

There are 70 private Universities/Institutes in Armenia there and some of them are even called Academies. Most of these are doing nothing in terms of education they are established to serve the people and/or their children who are lazy or unable to learn but still have a great desire of having “Honor” University/Academy Diploma and able to pay tuition and some bribe. The “establishments” serve the niche of the illiterate who has great desire of having University Diploma. And these “Academies” they supply the “professionals” with Honor Diplomas. Both their graduates and professors are illiterate. Out of 70 ACADEMIES only one or two has the staff whose professional skill could be considered as satisfactory. Note please that almost all students of these “Academies” are those who didn’t pass the High School students tests for University/Institute admission. Recently RoA Ministry of Education suspended 7 of the Academies Licenses. But the rest 63 still operate to produce the illiterate.

I’m a former math teacher and currently a tutor. I know many teachers, students and the interaction with them brought me to this sad conclusion.

For instance my granddaughter’s primary school young English language teacher has written in her notebook 5 English words, as an assignment, and 3 out of 5 had been written with spelling errors.

One of the solutions may be:

At least in high school teacher hiring/selection process the applicants should take the High School automated graduation tests for the University/Institute admission, to avoid corruption. I’m sure that there are a lot of talented teachers that are not hired, because couldn’t pay the $1,000 bribe.
    Isn’t it a must that the teacher should be able to pass the tests that schoolchildren take?

Though I’m not sure that this will accommodate our Educational system officials, because this is a solid source of income for some of them. Amazing; even producing illiterate is profitable for the corrupt.
    Last edited by gegev; 09-18-2010, 05:55 AM.

Re: 30% of high school teachers can’t pass university admission tests

Originally posted by gegev View Post
    One of the solutions may be:

At least in high school teacher hiring/selection process the applicants should take the High School automated graduation tests for the University/Institute admission, to avoid corruption. I’m sure that there are a lot of talented teachers that are not hired, because couldn’t pay the $1,000 bribe.
    Isn’t it a must that the teacher should be able to pass the tests that schoolchildren take?

Though I’m not sure that this will accommodate our Educational system officials, because this is a solid source of income for some of them. Amazing; even producing illiterate is profitable for the corrupt.
    What alternative solutions do you suggest?
    Last edited by gegev; 09-19-2010, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Illiterate people teach students!

If we are to put stress on education leaded economy, because we have no oil/gas etc. First thing we have to address is:

Terminating the school teachers who doesn’t know the subject they teach. Armenian private “Universities” are selling all kinds of diploma’s including teacher ones. These and the state owned university graduates (about 90% of the students) who regularly pay bribes to professors and are graduating that way; are the ones who are able to pay bribe to get hired as a High School Teacher.

The problem of: getting rid of ignorant teachers in Armenia can be solved easily:

Just requiring them to take automated High School graduation tests that the School graduates take at school completion. I’m sure that more than third of nowadays “teachers” will fail on the exams. Do you imagine how they would prepare the children to take the exam they themselves can’t pass?

I see our Education Ministry is not interested in this; because some of them take bribe from illiterate teaches (I heard recently it’s about $3,000 now) to hire them. And then they get the right to make our children illiterate.

For instance my 4-th grade granddaughter's English language teacher made 3 mistakes in five words, she wrote in the granddaughter's notebook. And yet I’m sure there are a lot of good teacher that can’t pay the bribe to get hired.

What do you suggest? Is there any other way to stop corruption and prevent illiterate people getting hired as High School teachers?

I seem no; because if you trust hiring teachers to our corrupt officials, you always get the illiterate teachers hired. Because talented, knowledgeable teachers/professionals wouldn’t and/or can't pay the bribes.
      Last edited by gegev; 10-21-2010, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Re: Illiterate people teach students!

November 10, 2010
        Armenian Deputy Ministers Fired After Charges Of Corruption
        YEREVAN -- Two Armenian deputy ministers of health and another senior government official have been dismissed less than a week after Prime Minister Tigran Sarkisian accused them of corruption and incompetence, RFE/RL's Armenian Service reports.

Sarkisian's office said on November 9 that he relieved Health Ministry officials Tatul Hakobian and Abraham Manukian of their duties "in accordance with their request." Sarkisian's office gave no details.

Sarkisian alleged widespread corruption within the agriculture, finance, education, and health ministries as he discussed the findings of internal inquiries conducted by his Oversight Service at a cabinet meeting on November 4.
        If we are to put stress on education leaded economy, because we have no oil/gas etc. First thing we have to address is:

Terminating the school teachers who doesn't know the subject they teach. Armenian private Universities are selling all kinds of diplomas including teacher ones. These and the state owned university graduates (about 90% of the students) who regularly pay bribes to professors and are graduating that way; are the ones who are able to pay bribe to get hired as a High School Teacher.

The problem of: getting rid of ignorant teachers in Armenia can be solved easily:

Just requiring them to take automated High School graduation tests that the School graduates take at school completion. I’m sure that more than third of nowadays “teachers” will fail on the exams. Do you imagine how they would prepare the children to take the exam they themselves can’t pass?

I see our Education Ministry is not interested in this; because some of them take bribe from illiterate teaches (I heard recently it’s about $3,000 now) to hire them. And then they get the right to make our children illiterate.
        Last edited by gegev; 11-10-2010, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Re: Some high school teachers can’t pass university admission tests

That must be from a stupid report created by any stupid university .
          This is not the fact , i really dont believe in it .
          Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.

Comment

Working...
          X