Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Film Club!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Film Club!

Great. Mouse and Oneway, come over and watch... I'll make popcorn.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Actually, you guys are welcome over. I have a home theater in my house with a projection system. I'd post pictures but I don't want to boast, but you guys are welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
        Actually, you guys are welcome over. I have a home theater in my house with a projection system. I'd post pictures but I don't want to boast, but you guys are welcome!
        I'll double down!

Comment

Originally posted by ara87
          um like one way totally suggested a movie already...so that is what we'll be watching for the club.

I'll totally watch Willy Wonka in my spare time though as long as it's the original.
          No, scrap Gomorrah for now.

I'm going to post a schedule on Friday, along with some basic rules and when to come back and discuss the film, as well as the order of people who will be picking the next film.

So, there's no film until I announce it on Friday.

Comment

WELLLLLL?

Let's do this! Where's that schedule?

PS - Saw Casablanca finally. <3 Dunno why people call it a love story though... It isn't really one in the traditional sense.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
            -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I'm sorry. I've been a little busy.

Casablanca is a love story, not in the traditional sense, but it nonetheless is a love story. Rick seeing Ilsa in the club? Priceless.

Comment

If you don't mind, I'd like to suggest a Spanish language film called "Sin Nombre (Without Name)"

The film follows a story of a teenage gang member on the run after murdering his gang's leader. He meets a Honduran girl and her family that are making their way across Mexico to get to the United States, and decides to make the dangerous journey with them, all while trying to avoid a fellow gang member who has been sent to kill him along the way.

The film won best cinematography and best direction at the 2009 Sundance film festival, and has an 88% rating on rotten tomatoes based off 109 reviews (96 fresh, 13 rotten).

I haven't seen it yet but from what I hear it's supposed to be good. It's available to rent from blockbuster, and is streamable on netflix.

you can watch the trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvbqwx3e_bQ
                Last edited by ara87; 10-19-2010, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Okay, that's fine.

So, we're watching Sin Nombre. Please, find a way to get ahold of this film and report back with your thoughts and review of the film by Friday, October 29.

I'm giving a little over a week for members to go watch this because it's our first film and we're just starting out. It's going to be a week from here on, though. I'll choose the next film on Friday, October 29.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    WELLLLLL?

Let's do this! Where's that schedule?

PS - Saw Casablanca finally. <3 Dunno why people call it a love story though... It isn't really one in the traditional sense.
                    Apparently, Dr. Zhivago is a love story also.
                    Between childhood, boyhood,
                    adolescence
                    & manhood (maturity) there
                    should be sharp lines drawn w/
                    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
                    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

Sin Nombre

Cary Fukunaga, the writer and director of Sin Nombre, was an unknown name to me. I figured he's an international filmmaker, considering this film is entirely set in Mexico. It's not so, it seems, because Fukunaga is from Oakland, California. I guess you don't have to be "one of them" to make such a provoking film.

Sin Nombre tells the story of Casper (Edgar Flores), a member of the Mara Salvatrucha. I heard a lot about these guys in my time in high school. I have even seen young gangsters claim they're from the gang, and perhaps they were, but they're nothing like the gangsters we encounter in the film. The gangsters in the film are unrecognizable. I wouldn't be able to tell them apart, because they are all tattooed from head to toe. In fact, the leaders of the gang are tattooed all across their face.

Casper recruits a young gun to the gang, Smiley (Kristyan Ferrer). Smiley doesn't belong in this gang but finds himself in its initiation anyway. Smiley is asked to kill one of their rivals in order to become accepted into the gang, and along with Casper's help, he does. We can tell this is not who Smiley really is. Inside, he's probably a nice boy, but living in the streets of Tapachula leads him down no other path but this one. Casper, however, finds himself in a difficult position after the leaders discover him lying to the gang about where he's been during the day. Lil Mago, the leader of the gang, ends up murdering his girlfriend, and as a result, brings Casper's emotions and true colors on the surface. From here on, the table has been turned, Casper is who we sympathize with and Smiley is who we begin to despise.

In a parallel story, we encounter Sayra (Paulina Gaitán) who is traveling with her father and uncle to the United States. They have a tough rough ahead of them, including jumping on and off trains and hiding from the Border Patrol. The film brings these characters together, Casper and Sayra, and does it quite effectively. Lil Mago takes Casper and Smiley out to rob a train. Lil Mago pins Sayra down and Casper ends up killing him. Smiley gets away but ends up heading back to find and kill Casper.

Sin Nombre doesn't fall into clichés and that's a good thing. I loved the film and my only problems with it probably step from its overall structure. The film is quite intense and takes us on a thrill ride, but once the stakes have been set, they pretty much remain as is. Through the film, we sympathize with Casper, want him to get away, but await his ultimate demise, much like he does. We know he can't go on forever, so we just wait for "when and where" as he does. This leads to an anticlimactic ending - which, I suppose is all we can get, considering - as he's caught and murdered in front of Sayra. Sin Nombre keeps you intrigued - not so much guessing, although I don't mean this to mean that the film is predicable. It's a remarkable film in and of itself, and for a first feature, it's a true testament to the filmmaker's abilities. Why wasn't this film nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film? I guess you'll just have to check out its competition.

I loved the cinematography, and its praise is well-deserved. I wasn't surprised to discover that Gael García Bernal and Diego Luna both executive produced the film. It's right up their alley, especially considering the duo starred in their own film that deals with young adults, Y tu mamá también. Marcelo Zarvos' original score is haunting and on par with anything else I have heard from all other composers. It's a dark score that adds to the atmosphere of the film. Edgar Flores is the star of this film, and takes a silenced character and turns his inner emotions into a startling performance. Flores is a newcomer but he'll stick around, as long as producers keep their eyes open. In regards to Cary Fukunaga, I suspect I'll be hearing his name, especially considering he's filming an adaptation of Jane Eyre, and as a picture deal with Universal Pictures and Focus Features.

Comment

Working...
                      X