Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Film Club!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Film Club!

arteom, you're okay with titles that are not available on Netflix streaming, right? Is it okay with you if I choose a title that is not available on streaming, but is available as a DVD or Blu-ray?

I'll probably use up all the films I have that are available as streaming, but will eventually step into films that are not available as such.

Comment

Yeah that is fine one-way, I was having a hard time finding a film that was available to be streamed on netflix myself.

Comment

I have a bunch I've been meaning to watch, but yeah, if you'd like to pick something that's not available on streaming, that's fine with me as well.

Comment

I let you down, arteom. I've been sick and busy, so I apologize. I'll watch this as soon as I can.

Comment

That's okay one-way, feel better.

Comment

never saw "the hidden fortress", but love akira kurosawa's work (especially yojimbo, rashomon, seven samurai). i will check it out, but obviously late for the dec.3 review deadline.

how about scorsese's Shutter Island next?

Comment

armogrid, please watch Hidden Fortress, if you have the chance to do so in the next few days. I won't be able to see this film until perhaps next week, so I'm being a hypocrite and delaying the film. Perhaps we can extend the deadline for Hidden Fortress to Friday, December 17.

I also don't want to come off as a Film Nazi, but Shutter Island isn't really something I was hoping to be suggested. I love Martin Scorsese and have seen the film twice, and it's probably a film the majority of us have seen already. I'm really hoping for this thread to recommend independent, foreign, and rarely seen films that we all might have missed... or great classics that we haven't really caught up with yet. I'll wait to see what others (arteom) have to say.

Comment

I guess I am somewhere in-between, I wouldn't mind watching some more mainstream movies that are said to have a good amount of depth to them, but I think things would be allot more interesting if like one-way said we kept it to foreign/independent/old-classics we haven't seen. I haven't seen shutter island, was rather turned off Scorsese after seeing his re-make of infernal affairs (the remake was called the departed). Have been avoiding shutter island.

Comment

The Departed was very good film, in my opinion. Shutter Island is nothing more than an exercise in filmmaking. The production design and cinematography are top notch, but it's really nothing in terms of its story. The flashbacks sequences are also very nicely done and it's Martin Scorsese at his most emotional. I don't like films based on such horrid sources, so it's a turn off.

Comment

The Departed seemed rough around the edges compared to the original asian version; infernal affairs. My opinion, original set a high bar.

Comment

Working...
                      X