Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

My interesting philosophy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My interesting philosophy...

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
    If enough people did have the guts, and starting doing things the government didn't like, at some people it would create a large conflict, which as you said would lead to a resolution. But if we don't have the guts, there is no resolution to the things we complain about!
    Well, i think i wasn't clear. government was created by people agreeing to letting go of doing whatever they want. in return, they were given protection and rights of their property. thus they created what is right vs wrong rules by which all must abide. By doing this, we started the trend that never ends: organized civilizations. we are now born into it.

the danger about going to live outside of society and fend for oneself is tricky. because in our minds, this kind of social organization is what separates us from animals, including abiding by the laws of man instead of "the land". if you want to try a 'safer' min-version... try being truly eco-friendly. it's far more than just recycling - includes farming (though most start small scale).

I don't understand, I know your philosophy is not an organized religion, I'm saying that by contrasting ourselves from organized religion, we are engaging in this us (non-organized religion people) vs. them (organized religion). Is that what you disagree on?
    i do not disagree that there is the element of us vs them, but as Odar demonstrated for me, it's not non-organized vs organized - it's "God-believing" vs everyone else (organized or not).

Comment

Originally posted by Tali View Post
      the danger about going to live outside of society and fend for oneself is tricky. because in our minds, this kind of social organization is what separates us from animals, including abiding by the laws of man instead of "the land". if you want to try a 'safer' min-version... try being truly eco-friendly. it's far more than just recycling - includes farming (though most start small scale).
      If we wanted to be eco-friendly, we'd stop getting new computers, laptops, tv sets, cell phones, etc. every 2-3 years. Manufacturing cheap, disposable and wasteful products has taken its toll on the environment. The amount of trash that's created from cheap imports is piling rather high. It wasn't too long ago that appliances, furniture and gadgets were used for decades and even passed down generations. Now everything is so cheap that it's not worth repairing when it breaks.

If we take a look at modern society, animals have more rights than humans. In fact, domesticated animals are treated better than the sick, poor and elderly. I wouldn't mind being a dog for some bourgeois couple. Sitting around all day doing nothing and getting all the attention.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
        If we wanted to be eco-friendly, we'd stop getting new computers, laptops, tv sets, cell phones, etc. every 2-3 years. Manufacturing cheap, disposable and wasteful products has taken its toll on the environment. The amount of trash that's created from cheap imports is piling rather high. It wasn't too long ago that appliances, furniture and gadgets were used for decades and even passed down generations. Now everything is so cheap that it's not worth repairing when it breaks.
        That was precisely my point
        Because we have such tendencies, it'll be rough enough on him to try to live truly "eco-friendly" without even having to leave his home and go to unowned land.

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
        If we take a look at modern society, animals have more rights than humans. In fact, domesticated animals are treated better than the sick, poor and elderly. I wouldn't mind being a dog for some bourgeois couple. Sitting around all day doing nothing and getting all the attention.
        Not all of them. Every 10 seconds in America alone, an animal is being beaten or abused, with over 10 million each year being euthanized.

Comment

Not all of them. Every 10 seconds in America alone, an animal is being beaten or abused, with over 10 million each year being euthanized.
          Statistics... can make them up but can't prove them right or wrong I have, however, flushed my share of tropical fish down the drain.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

haha i wish i was making them up. I used to be a fundraiser for the Amercian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). Those were two statistics I was showed to try to guilt you into giving me more money :P

Comment

Sounds a lot like Canada's Indian Affairs policy! Mow the grass whenever it needs to be cut and pull out troublesome weeds, and make a ritualistic "sorry"!
              I was referring to the Natives' custom of shedding their own blood as compensation for the animals they killed for their own need... I guess it started as a magical ritual, a way to skip revenge from the dead prey's spirit (I won't venture into ascribing compassion to them), but probably even among them there was someone who considered it just an empty formality. What are a few drops of my blood against a whole herd of buffaloes?

Every 10 seconds in America alone, an animal is being beaten or abused, with over 10 million each year being euthanized.
              Animal rights are in the same situation as human rights, much talk and very few walk. A few spoiled pugs sleeping on silk cushions (or a few zillionaires) don't change the much less rosy reality of the majority of animal and people alike.

Anyway, I admit it's easier to be moved to compassion toward a living being we instinctively perceive as inferior, especially when they look "cute" and harmless (puppies vs. mongrels rescued from the dog's house, toddlers vs. problem teens). A human being in distress is often as easy to handle as nitroglycerin.

Comment

Rather than trying to understand happiness through earthly pleasures and pursuits, now man is told to look upon them with guilt, because they are sins, and in essence, do exactly what their authority says will keep them pure if they hope to get into heaven.
                I understand what you are saying, and don't disagree with the construct theory that you talk about, however, do you not believe that there indeed are earthly pleasures or pursuits that are bad or even evil?
                Last edited by Armanen; 02-02-2011, 11:16 PM.
                For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

and to think, that idea spawned from Buddhism and the idea of "Oneness"

Not so much spawned from Buddhism. There is but only One Creator, yet people have had different exposures to the Creator and therefore different facets have been highlighted while other aspects not so much. Perennialism.
                  For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                  to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                    I understand what you are saying, and don't disagree with the construct theory that you talk about, however, do you not believe that there indeed are earthly pleasures or pursuits that are bad or even evil?
                    how about those that potentially could be? alcohol, drugs, sex (think of the human trade market...)

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                    Not so much spawned from Buddhism. There is but only One Creator, yet people have had different exposures to the Creator and therefore different facets have been highlighted while other aspects not so much. Perennialism.
                    interesting. do you believe the One Creator is also Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit?

Comment

interesting. do you believe the One Creator is also Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit?
                      The one creator usually refers to universally recognized entity that created the universe.

how about those that potentially could be? alcohol, drugs, sex (think of the human trade market...)
                      Everything can be used for good or evil, it depends on how you use or abuse it.

Comment

Working...
                      X