Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

My interesting philosophy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My interesting philosophy...

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    The one creator usually refers to universally recognized entity that created the universe.
    not entirely. in roman catholicism, the one creator is god the father, who also is jesus christ and the holy spirit. all in one. the holy trinity.

Everything can be used for good or evil, it depends on how you use or abuse it.
    some habits are evil regardless of if you use them. it's also evil to do nothing towards fighting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tali View Post
      not entirely. in roman catholicism, the one creator is god the father, who also is jesus christ and the holy spirit. all in one. the holy trinity.
      My understanding was God is the almighty creator. Jesus is his one and only son and the holy spirit is the spirit of truth that lives in those who accept Jesus' teachings. I suppose everyone has their own version.

Originally posted by Tali View Post
      some habits are evil regardless of if you use them. it's also evil to do nothing towards fighting them.
      Good and evil are relative and depends on point of view...
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

The Creator is indeed a spirit, or at least a form of energy. I do believe that Christ was an avatar of the Logos-Creator-God.

And yes, those are some of the earthly pleasures that I think are indeed bad or outight evil.
        For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
        to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Good and evil are not relative. They are two opposite, and well defined entities that are in constant, and universal, opposition to one another.

I do not disagree that there are shades of gray, or moral grayzones, but to say that good and evil are relative is false. Mankind throughout history has had a basic understanding of natural law, regardless of race, time, or location. In the western world we refer to the most commonly known of natural law, as the 10 Commandments. Show me one serious religion or philosophy that says, it is ok to kill, rape, torture, steal, abuse, etc.
          For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
            I understand what you are saying, and don't disagree with the construct theory that you talk about, however, do you not believe that there indeed are earthly pleasures or pursuits that are bad or even evil?
            Thinking of alcohol, drugs and sex, I cannot see how any of these are bad unless they are combined with a lack of consideration for ourselves and others affected by our abuse.

It is abuse, not the substances that is bad, and this applies to all manner of things, not just the taboos we're made most familiar with by society.

Good and evil are not relative. They are two opposite, and well defined entities that are in constant, and universal, opposition to one another.
            What if evil is just "lack of good", just as cold is "lack of heat"? Then how are they opposite, well defined entities that are in constant and universal opposition to one another?

I do not disagree that there are shades of gray, or moral grayzones, but to say that good and evil are relative is false. Mankind throughout history has had a basic understanding of natural law, regardless of race, time, or location. In the western world we refer to the most commonly known of natural law, as the 10 Commandments. Show me one serious religion or philosophy that says, it is ok to kill, rape, torture, steal, abuse, etc.
            All ideologies which support a hierarchy and prescribe its defense whether in the name of nation, creed, gang, business, race, etc... only pretend to not say it is ok to kill, rape, torture, steal, abuse, etc... because they only mind if it affects them personally.
            Last edited by jgk3; 02-03-2011, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
              Thinking of the abuses of alcohol, drugs and sex, I cannot see how any of these are bad unless they are combined with a lack of consideration for ourselves and others affected by our abuse.

It is abuse, not the substances that is bad, and this applies to all manner of things, not just the taboos we're made most familiar with by society.

What if evil is just "lack of good", just as cold is "lack of heat"? Then how are they opposite, well defined entities that are in constant and universal opposition to one another?

All ideologies which support a hierarchy and prescribe its defense whether in the name of nation, creed, gang, business, race, etc... only pretend to not say it is ok to kill, rape, torture, steal, abuse, etc... because they only mind if it affects them personally.

Drugs are bad because they harm the human body, and if you believe that we should not harm ourselves then you would not partake in the use of drugs. The same can be said of anything that harms your body which you choose to do, drugs are just the easiest and most well known objects.

You can rephrase that heat is lack of cold, it doesn't matter either way because you are talking about physics, which is below the metaphysical. The immaterial is superior and above the material. Good and evil are not physical objects that one can touch or taste, but we all recognize good and evil when we encounter it. It would be fair to say that without evil, one would not know good, and vice versa.

The last part of your post does not address my point and is a very cynical outlook. Moral relativism, which is what it seems you may be advocating, is in part what is leading to our world's destruction. And while I agree with you that some authorities have and do use ideologies and/or hierarchy to do their (evil) work for them, it does not repudiate that there indeed does exist a Divine Law.

Comment

Drugs are bad because they harm the human body, and if you believe that we should not harm ourselves then you would not partake in the use of drugs. The same can be said of anything that harms your body which you choose to do, drugs are just the easiest and most well known objects.
                Alcohol is considered a drug, how do you feel about those who drink it in moderation?

You can rephrase that heat is lack of cold, it doesn't matter either way because you are talking about physics, which is below the metaphysical. The immaterial is superior and above the material. Good and evil are not physical objects that one can touch or taste, but we all recognize good and evil when we encounter it. It would be fair to say that without evil, one would not know good, and vice versa.
                In the case of heat being the lack of cold, and vice versa, what we basically see here are two lexical terms, "heat" and "cold", standing for relative judgments of the same, singular phenomenon of thermal energy, which if measured in degrees, transcends "hot" and "cold". I argue that the same principle of singular phenomenon applies to "good" and "evil", however, given that it's a metaphysical concept, it can't be measured in a scientific manner. That is the only conceptual difference my example coming from physics has, but that is fine, it doesn't make my argument any less plausible.

And what do you mean by "superior"? I supposed it's related to your treatment of physics being "below" metaphysics. What do you mean exactly by such judgments?

The last part of your post does not address my point and is a very cynical outlook. Moral relativism, which is what it seems you may be advocating, is in part what is leading to our world's destruction. And while I agree with you that some authorities have and do use ideologies and/or hierarchy to do their (evil) work for them, it does not repudiate that there indeed does exist a Divine Law.
                What is this divine law?
                Last edited by jgk3; 02-03-2011, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                  Alcohol is considered a drug, how do you feel about those who drink it in moderation?

In the case of heat being the lack of cold, and vice versa, what we basically see here are two lexical terms, "heat" and "cold", standing for relative judgments of the same, singular phenomenon of thermal energy, which if measured in degrees, transcends "hot" and "cold". I argue that the same principle of singular phenomenon applies to "good" and "evil", however, given that it's a metaphysical concept, it can't be measured in a scientific manner. That is the only conceptual difference my example coming from physics has, but that is fine, it doesn't make my argument any less plausible.

And what do you mean by "superior"? I supposed it's related to your treatment of physics being "below" metaphysics. What do you mean exactly by such judgments?

What is this divine law?

You are what you eat. Drinking alcohol, even in moderation, has negative effects on the body. I do not think it is a major issue, if done in moderation, and therefore do not pass judgement on such people. In an ideal world though, it would not happen, however, we do not live in an ideal world and due to man's nature, we never will.

I understand your analogy, but again, we are talking about a metaphysical issue. Science can't answer it for us. But we have logic, and therefore we do have an ability to discuss good and evil. If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that good and evil are on a continuum. Am I correct?

Metaphysics is immaterial, and as such it can't be destroyed or changed. While we believe our understanding of the laws of physics apply throughout the universe, we have no proof and likely, never will. Physics deals with the material.

Divine Law is the Creator's law. It is found in nature, and can simply be said to be a report on what is. It's a description of a process that under specified conditions remains invariant through time and place.

Again, I will ask you, are you advocating moral relativism?

Comment

Good and bad are relative, they are not absolutes. There are degrees... nothing is pure good or pure evil. Well.... maybe some things are pure evil

Drugs can cure or they can harm if you abuse them. The reason there are illegal drugs is because people aren't smart enough not to abuse them. If your society is full of drug addicts, it can't function. That doesn't mean it will be an evil society... it just won't be able to compete with other nations. So making things illegal is actually a form of control that's worse than religion (a religious person governs him/herself and doesn't need big brother to control him/her).
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

You are what you eat. Drinking alcohol, even in moderation, has negative effects on the body. I do not think it is a major issue, if done in moderation, and therefore do not pass judgement on such people. In an ideal world though, it would not happen, however, we do not live in an ideal world and due to man's nature, we never will.
                      Exactly as KanadaHye said, there are "drugs" that cure physical ailments/diseases. So drugs can be beneficial if used therapeutically, in the right amounts. But alcohol is not considered by most to be one of those medicinal drugs, however it's acceptable by society to consume it in moderation. Even Jesus is happy turning water into wine for weddings, and I'm sure in this case, he knows some people are gonna get drunk. Good ol' Jesus didn't seem to mind though!

I understand your analogy, but again, we are talking about a metaphysical issue. Science can't answer it for us. But we have logic, and therefore we do have an ability to discuss good and evil. If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that good and evil are on a continuum. Am I correct?
                      Yes, you are correct. In my opinion, they describe one's propensity for "consideration for oneself and others", if we are speaking of good and evil in terms of morality, which is probably the domain in which most of us seem to agree upon making judgments of good vs. evil. However, actually being able to do good in ways that don't harm others is not always easy to find in this world. For example, if there was not enough food to feed everyone in your town, but you took the necessary measures to feed your family first. This can be "good" because its done to protect your family. This can be "bad" because it does so at the expense of other families. It seems we struck a compromise between good and bad, in our decision to protect our family. This is where values come in, which we use to justify that what we did was in fact "right", and thus "good" overall.

Metaphysics is immaterial, and as such it can't be destroyed or changed. While we believe our understanding of the laws of physics apply throughout the universe, we have no proof and likely, never will. Physics deals with the material.
                      Perhaps it can't be destroyed or changed, but what about the fact that it depends on the physical world in order to be understood? Do metaphysical concepts actually point to things that truly exist out there in the world? Or are they functions by which we understand the physical world? For example, what is the metaphysical concept of time, if it has no physical objects to act upon? Time could only exist in such a case if it acted upon objects that are not "physical" in nature, but that is not something we can prove with science to actually exist, we can only imagine and believe in ideas of such things.

Divine Law is the Creator's law. It is found in nature, and can simply be said to be a report on what is. It's a description of a process that under specified conditions remains invariant through time and place.
                      And exactly which process under specified conditions which remains invariant through time and place does it describe?

Again, I will ask you, are you advocating moral relativism?
                      I am not advocating it in the sense that I think societies should function according to my opinions, that would be an issue for another debate. Looking up moral relativism in wikipedia, I found a position of it which I feel resembles mine:

Originally posted by wikipedia: Moral Relativism
                      Descriptive relativism describes the way things are, without suggesting a way they ought to be. It seeks only to point out that people frequently disagree over what is the most 'moral' course of action.
                      Good and bad are relative, they are not absolutes. There are degrees... nothing is pure good or pure evil. Well.... maybe some things are pure evil

Drugs can cure or they can harm if you abuse them. The reason there are illegal drugs is because people aren't smart enough not to abuse them. If your society is full of drug addicts, it can't function. That doesn't mean it will be an evil society... it just won't be able to compete with other nations. So making things illegal is actually a form of control that's worse than religion (a religious person governs him/herself and doesn't need big brother to control him/her).
                      right on! Though in some religious communities (especially cults), one could argue that there is a good measure of controlling behavior, woven into the belief system. If you argue that a member of such a community is still essentially governing themselves, choosing to remain in this position of being controlled, why can't the same be said of our position as citizens vis-a-vis our government?
                      Last edited by jgk3; 02-04-2011, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X