Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hello from Italy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello from Italy...

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    Ne vous contentez pas blâmer le traducteur automatique, blâmer l'auteur du texte à traduire. Un texte soigneusement écrit devrait se traduire par une précision suffisante pour être comprise. Ce texte doit être concis, de faire le point, pas trop verbeuse ou prétentieux, avec des phrases courtes (décomposés en plus petites sections par des virgules si nécessaire), en utilisant des mots qui ne veut pas dire plusieurs choses ou ont une signification obscure, et sans orthographe ou des erreurs de grammaire
    And back into English again.:
    "Do not just blame the automatic translator, blame the author of the text to translate. A carefully written text should result in sufficient detail to be included. This text should be concise, to the point, not too wordy or pretentious, with short sentences (split into smaller sections by commas if necessary), using words that do not mean several things have meaning or obscure And without spelling or grammatical."

Still reasonably legible.

Though Google's French - English translator seems to be the most developed one of them all, and often has multiple translation choices if the first meaning doesn't seem correct (this might be a new feature, I hadn't noticed it before). The Armenian one is still in the alpha phase of development.
    Last edited by bell-the-cat; 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

thanx bell, I didn't notice that *oops*

Comment

The problem with trying to use online translators is that the computer doesn't really have a working knowledge of any given language (I find errors in Spanish translators frequently). Your best bet is to work out various words on your own and do the work. Then I suggest posting it here so we can help piece the story back together.

Good luck!

Comment

Some translations are really hilarious indeed, but if I have to seriously read a page they don't help much. I guess I'll have to buy a dictionary someday...

Thanx

Comment

Hey Odar

I am Ducth-Irish and live in London. I was in Palermo Sicily back in December for two weeks on holiday. I very much like Italy and Italian culture and history. Even if Italians are sulky and take themselves too seriously.

Phoenician Sarcophagi - Sarcóxxxo fenicio de Palermo

Last edited by retro; 01-26-2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Hi retro

"We" take ourselves too seriously because no one else does... especially nowadays j/k

Have you ever been in Noto? If you're interested in architecture and stuff, I'd suggest you to visit it before negligence and time bring it down...

Comment

Originally posted by Odar View Post
                Hi retro

"We" take ourselves too seriously because no one else does... especially nowadays j/k

Have you ever been in Noto? If you're interested in architecture and stuff, I'd suggest you to visit it before negligence and time bring it down...
                Italians are on the whole very civilised people. However they tend to be moody and always have such grumpy little faces?

Sadly I haven't been to the south of Sicily before, just the north. I like Sicily though and think that it's a ideal place to go on a charted yacht cruise, or sea fishing type hoilday.

Italy really needs to do far more to tackle corruption, improve accountability and attract investment. It's a pity that Sicily is falling apart, as it's such a intresting place and it has loads of lovely Cathedrals.

Cathedral of Monreale in Sicily

Are you aware of the Etruscan's Anatolian origins?

The study has also shown that there is a link between Etruscans and certain populations of Anatolia. In particular, the areas of historical Etruscan occupation have a relatively high concentration of y-haplogroup G.

According to the research conducted by genetic scientists in Italy's Pavia University, the roots of Etruscans were in the ancient Lydian region in Anatolia. The scientists have reached the conclusion by examining 322 Mitochondrial DNA Variations derived from the three districts in Italy's Toscana region where the Etruscans once lived as well as comparing their sequence variation with that of 55 western Eurasian populations.

The results also support the information about Etruscans given by famed Greek historian Herodotus, known as the father of history. According to Herodotus the Etruscans immigrated to Italy from the Lydian region, Turkey's modern provinces of İzmir and Manisa.

The origin of the Etruscan people has been a focus of major controversy for the past 2,500 years and several hypotheses have been proposed to explain their language and sophisticated culture as well as their origin. The research is thus considered to be an important development supporting the Etruscan people's Aegean/Anatolian origin or the direct genetic input from the Near East, a scenario in agreement with the Lydian origin of Etruscans.

The results were published in the “American Journal of Human Genetics."

http://ancient-anatolia.blogspot.com...-italians.html

Comment

We call ourselves a nation of grouches indeed

That's why all immigrants want to go to Sicily

With 3 indigenous mafias plus some immigrant criminal organizations, an inept political class, and industrialists who seem to be more interested in cutting wages and welfare contribution than in long-run plans, it's gonna be pretty hard...

Yup. Ancient Sardinians are believed to have the same origin, too. Actually, my family on my paternal grandfather's side comes from northern Lazio, ie southern Etruria, so I might as well have some Etruscan blood

Comment

Originally posted by Odar View Post
                    We call ourselves a nation of grouches indeed

That's why all immigrants want to go to Sicily

With 3 indigenous mafias plus some immigrant criminal organizations, an inept political class, and industrialists who seem to be more interested in cutting wages and welfare contribution than in long-run plans, it's gonna be pretty hard...

Yup. Ancient Sardinians are believed to have the same origin, too. Actually, my family on my paternal grandfather's side comes from northern Lazio, ie southern Etruria, so I might as well have some Etruscan blood
                    Phoenicians, Arabs, Normans and god knows who else made such a mess of the Sardinians, Sicilians and Maltese. That it's hard to know quite what they are.

I have been though the north of Italy by car and it's really nice there early in the summer. The landscape in the north of Italy is like something out of a fairy tale, with market gardens and castles on top of mountains.

The mafia and corruption have long undermined the south of Italy and as is the case else where wealthy Italians do far to little to help their own people. What is more as is the case in Spain their are a few clowns, who seemingly think that it's a good idea to Balkanise Italy.

The Etruscans where very different from the Romans culturally. Anatolian like the Balkans and Iberia in the west is a important cultural bridge and the Minoans where also from Anatolian. The ancient Iberians, Egyptians and Phoenicians where amongst the first people to colonize the Mediterranean. All of these ancient seafaring peoples played a important role in the transmission of culture, ideas and people.

I am intrested in learning more about the Iberians, as they are quite a obscure seemingly indigenous European peoples and they have unknown origins. The Iberians formed close ties with the Celts, who established ancient settlements in Iberia. However they traded extensively throughout the Mediterranean and exhibited a fusion of influences.

Comment

Do not forget Catalans, Albanians and Greeks

I'm from near Asti (land of many great wines), though I was born in Naples. Where have you been?

Southern Italy was undermined first of all by the brutal annexation and civil war (1861-1865), then by 150 of state and mafia plunder. Now the mafias are taking over the north and exporting themselves all around the world.
                      Oh, well... I admit I don't know whether, say, the Catalan separatists are as clownish as "our" (not mine) Umberto xxxo. But at least Catalans, or Basques, share a history, a culture, a language - the so-called "Padania" is as artificial as could be. The only thing that counts is "less taxes" (for those who don't have a fixed income) and "immigrants out". They mistake culture for cultivation.

There seems to be a link between Iberians and Ligures - or at least that's one of the hypotheses. Did they also have any affinity with the Basques?

Comment

Working...
                      X