Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Current Condition of Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Current Condition of Armenia

through the upcoming marriage of his
    son, Abrahamian will become an in-law to Prosperous Armenia
    leader and mega-oligarch Gagik Tsarukian, thereby securing
    his ties to another major power player on the Armenian
    political scene. (Comment: Abrahamian is regarded by outside
    observers -- and many Armenians -- as an unpolished, poorly
    educated and parochial figure, a crass nouveau riche whose
    brand of dirty-money politics, abuse of state "administrative
    resources," and cunning opportunism is in the worst tradition
    of recent Armenian politics. Nevertheless, we agree with
    Bagdasarov that he should not be underestimated. Many of our
    contacts laughed when the rumor first surfaced that Abrahamian would be named to the Speaker's position. No one
    is laughing now.

04.14.2014 15:38 epress.am
    Hovik Abrahamyan Should Not be Underestimated: His Premiership was Predicted in 2009
    “[Hovik] Abrahamyan typifies the type of Republican politician that makes up a large chunk of the parliament and of the ruling party establishment: politico-oligarchs who use political power to advance their business interests and vice versa," wrote then–US Ambassador to Armenia Marie L. Yovanovitch in a confidential US cable dated October 29, 2008, made public by WikiLeaks in 2011. In light of parliamentary speaker Hovik Abrahamyan's appointment to the position of prime minister on Sunday at a meeting of the governing body of the ruling Republican Party of Armenia (HHK), Epress.am compiled a few excerpts about Abrahamyan from leaked US diplomatic cables made public by WikiLeaks.
    In the same cable, Yovanovitch writes: "Such figures brought [Armenian President Serzh] Sargsyan to power, but also could become a potential threat to Sargsyan’s rule if he moves overtly against their interests. Over time, Abrahamyan’s political fate may be a bellwether of reform prospects during President Sargsyan’s Administration."
    The US ambassador had met Abrahamyan on October 9, 2008, during which time the then new parliamentary speaker, according to the ambassador, “blasted” the opposition (i.e. the Armenian National Congress) for “blackening” the image of Armenia, adding that it would be better if the US Embassy stopped providing the opposition with support: "The Speaker said such support was ‘harming our country,’ and that the opposition would be better off devoting itself to preparing for the next parliamentary elections in three years’ time." Commenting on this statement, Yovanovitch writes: "In fact, we provide no support to the opposition of any kind, although our frequent advocacy of political freedoms and human rights can be misunderstood by the likes of Abrahamyan as pro-LTP [Levon Ter-Petrossian].” During the conversation, Abrahamyan said that the HHK is ready to listen to criticism by the opposition, and “the Ambassador will see in practice that ‘we [HHK] are inclined to a constructive approach,’ and that ‘we are democratic people’.”
    In yet another cable, this one dated November 17, 2009, Ambassador Yovanovitch wrote about Armenia's "two major political/economic pyramids: one headed by Serzh Sargsyan; the other, by former president Robert Kocharian." About Abrahamyan, the ambassador writes: "National Assembly chair Hovik Abrahamyan controls his own business empire which, though formerly part of the Kocharian pyramid, is now increasingly autonomous."
    Then US Charge d’Affairs Joseph Pennington in a April 23, 2008 confidential cable assessing Armenia's new cabinet was cautious about the appointments of Armen Gevorgyan and Hovik Abrahamyan as RA Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Territorial Administration and presidential Chief of Staff, respectively, saying that Gevorgyan is “very clearly ex-president [Robert] Kocharian’s man,” while Abrahamyan’s “first loyalty is more evidently to his own interests” but he is believed to be more “Kocharian’s man” than current Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan’s.
    Pennington concludes by saying that while Abrahamyan’s position is potentially quite influential, “our hunch is that Abrahamyan is being marginalized”: “It would not surprise us to see him pushed out completely in the next six months to a year. Abrahamyan has one of the most checkered reputations in the Armenian Government, for both corruption as well as for his role as chief operating officer of the dirtiest and most coercive tactics of Serzh Sargsyan’s presidential election campaign.”
    Armenian businessman Mikhail Baghdasarov, with whom Pennington met on March 20, 2009, however, did not believe Abrahamyan would be "pushed out," and, in fact, felt his position would only grow stronger:
    "In Bagdasarov's view, Tigran Sargsian's ineffectiveness as prime minister has accelerated the political rise of Hovik Abrahamian, the current Speaker of the National Assembly. When Armenia's power players — oligarchs, politicians, ministers — have disagreements or want to get something done, he said, they now ignore the PM and come to Abrahamian […] While Bagdasarov would not be drawn out on his own views of Abrahamian, he warned that the Speaker ‘should not be underestimated.’ He claimed that through his effective deal-making, behind-the-scenes problem-solving, and image as an honest broker, Abrahamian had formed a virtual ‘shadow government’ within parliament, thereby marginalizing the PM and other ministers […] He predicted that Abrahamian would become Armenia’s next prime minister […] and, ultimately, the country's next President.
    "Bagdasarov said he did not rule out the possibility that Abrahamian could find a way to push the current President aside and run for President himself in 2013," reads yet another cable.
    In a side comment, Pennington writes: "Abrahamian is regarded by outside observers — and many Armenians — as an unpolished, poorly educated and parochial figure, a crass nouveau riche whose brand of dirty-money politics, abuse of state 'administrative resources,' and cunning opportunism is in the worst tradition of recent Armenian politics. Nevertheless, we agree with Bagdasarov that he should not be underestimated."

Comment

Comment

“Khachkar” Warning: ‘This isn’t Azerbaijan or Turkey, but Armenia’
        A field of khachkars (stone crosses) supposedly listed as a site protected by the Armenian government is today being threatened by commercial construction.

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
          “Khachkar” Warning: ‘This isn’t Azerbaijan or Turkey, but Armenia’
          http://hetq.am/eng/news/53999/%E2%80...%E2%80%99.html

I think this type of news is handled wrongly, poor investigative journalism including to my mind by the highly regarded Hedq.am

They should publicize the whole network of individuals involved.

I have in mind the “land owner”, the builder, the town hall official who gave planning permission etc.

If the immediate official cannot be identified then the department head up to the mayor.

With the identification their photo should also be highlighted to avoid hiding behind faceless name.
          Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by UrMistake View Post
            Is their verdict "give him cheese" or "give him rat poison"?
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
              I think this type of news is handled wrongly, poor investigative journalism including to my mind by the highly regarded Hedq.am

They should publicize the whole network of individuals involved.

I have in mind the “land owner”, the builder, the town hall official who gave planning permission etc.

If the immediate official cannot be identified then the department head up to the mayor.

With the identification their photo should also be highlighted to avoid hiding behind faceless name.
              Good investigative journalism needs time, and that needs money, which I bet hetq does not have. But an easy way to get some names would be to look at the names on the new graves - presumably their familes are the ones actually doing (or paying) for the destruction.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                Good investigative journalism needs time, and that needs money, which I bet hetq does not have. But an easy way to get some names would be to look at the names on the new graves - presumably their familes are the ones actually doing (or paying) for the destruction.

There are many things I that I would like to do, but I do not have the time and money.
                This puts me into a dilemma because it forces me into choices, settle for a half done job or do not do it.

Invariably I decide not to do it.

Incidentally money and time are not the only required commodities required.
                They need balls and I do not mean what you feel between your legs.

This type of headline journalism has the effect of condemning the country and its people ( society) and leave the real culprits untouched.

Hardly the aim of the effort.

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Well, can someone describe to me the current status of emigration since the end of 2013?
                  Armenian colony of Glendale will conquer all of California!

Comment

Something alot of Armenians are failing to understand, is that all of europe is aging...

We are not at Moldova either.
                    Last edited by Chubs; 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM.
                    Armenian colony of Glendale will conquer all of California!

Comment

Originally posted by Chubs View Post

Something alot of Armenians are failing to understand, is that all of europe is aging...

We are not at Moldova either.
                      He mentions a very interesting program used by Sweden where positive fertility rates realized by improving gender equality. I would like to see this study-it sounds very interesting.
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X