Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Do you think Turkey has become a regional Leader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you think Turkey has become a regional Leader?

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
    How can they get any worse --- WAR ---
    What do I propose --- keep the border closed ---
    I and others have expressed why opening borders is wrong move.
    Your accusation f me as nonsensical is unappreciated. Please try expressing yourself without personal insults
    Armenia is --- not --- antagonizing those who perpetuate the --- GENOCIDE ---.
    Your last sentence does not surprise me
    Artashes
    This is what I'm talking about. What your saying makes sense in theory, but has no connection to reality. Why on earth would Turkey invade Armenia? Let's, for a second, forget that Russia guarantees Armenia's security and that Turkey would not be destroyed in the Russian counterattack. Armenia is showing no openly hostile attitude towards Turkey's security, and vice versa (not talking about Genocide). What would be the grounds for a conflict?

Also, Turkey will not go to war with Armenia for the sake of Azerbaijan. It cares about its NATO membership too much.

Keep the border close?!?!?!?!?!?! Why?!?!?!?! Are you aware that there is gigantic net-migration from Armenia. Are you aware that, in a recent Armenian study, 40% of Armenian residents said that they would leave the country if they could? How can you possibly turn your back on an opportunity to expand the economy and, quite frankly, save the country? It feels like you are talking from the perspective of an oligarch that has no concern for the ordinary Armenian.

Saying that trade is not mutually beneficial is nonsensical. Saying that Armenia will agree with Turkish denialism if borders are opened is also nonsensical. The current Armenian government is pursuing unconditional establishment of relations with Turkey. According to you, does this mean that they will forget about Armenian Genocide soon thereafter? "If this is done in my opinion we(Hay) are actually helping to legitimize the murderers position," - what you are saying makes no sense.

I'm not saying it is antagonizing, I'm saying it won't get anywhere with the current attitude. Genocide recognition cannot be forced onto Turkey.
    Last edited by davidoga; 07-06-2012, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Anyone who believes that opening the false border with turcey would be beneficial to Armenia should perhaps look at the effects on georgian economy.

Georgia is infested with turcs in all strata of trade and business, the majority of profits from these businesses are plowed straight back into turcey (that's the purpose of turc investment after all).

Armenia should maintain and strengthen ties with Iran and Russia as opposed to considering turcey. My personal thoughts are that proponents of opening the border are mainly from the Diaspora who have been influenced by the pervasive turcish propaganda. Armenia may struggle but I would prefer struggle to annihilation, be that annihilation through military or economic means. People, for the first time in centuries part of Armenia is muslim/turc/baboon-free, you now want to facilitate their return? Look to yourselves.

In the 21st century there are very few closed borders anywhere in the world, yet turcey has 2 (I include Cyprus) whilst criss-crossing another 3 borders with it's military.............50% of turcey's borders are areas of conflict.......................................... ....

(I must also say that this question has no relation to Genocide Recognition, I believe turcs will never recognise AG but my hope is that Genocide Recognition efforts are centred on increasing the number of countries from the present 20+ who officially recognise. Concerted efforts should be made on the half dozen US states, once all 50 states recognise pressure must increase on the federal government. Other regional governments in Spain and UK and elsewhere have recognised and again work should be centred on those states.)

Comment

@hrai

You make a good point. Armenia's status as a nation state should not be diluted. At the same time, you don't propose for the Turk+Azeri borders to be closed forever, do you?

Georgia is a special case because it is a pushover. I am assuming that you are referring to Adjara, that is now Turk majority. I am sure that the Armenian government can take some procedures to keep Turksout.

The Armenian government, and most Armenian citizens I suppose, favor opening the border and expanding the economy.

If you acknowledge the Turks will never recognize the Genocide, then why do you care about the rest of the world? Why does it matter?

By the way, I don't believe that the Genocide will never be recognized. There are undeniable trends in Turkish society that go in positive direction. Eventually, they will have a government with significantly less @ssholes than AKP.

After all, it is the truth. Once the stigma around Armenians in the Turkish government fades, recognition should naturally follow.

Comment

Originally posted by davidoga View Post
          @hrai

You make a good point. Armenia's status as a nation state should not be diluted. At the same time, you don't propose for the Turk+Azeri borders to be closed forever, do you?

Georgia is a special case because it is a pushover. I am assuming that you are referring to Adjara, that is now Turk majority. I am sure that the Armenian government can take some procedures to keep Turksout.

The Armenian government, and most Armenian citizens I suppose, favor opening the border and expanding the economy.

If you acknowledge the Turks will never recognize the Genocide, then why do you care about the rest of the world? Why does it matter?

By the way, I don't believe that the Genocide will never be recognized. There are undeniable trends in Turkish society that go in positive direction. Eventually, they will have a government with significantly less @ssholes than AKP.

After all, it is the truth. Once the stigma around Armenians in the Turkish government fades, recognition should naturally follow.
          David, you suppose most citizens favor opening the border and I suppose the opposite , neither of us know for sure,

Regards my wanting the rest of the world to officially recognise AG ? If a guy walks his dog down the street and the dog takes a crap, people tell him "hey, your dog just did a crap on the street." He'll probably say "Sorry, I'll clean it up". If you see a dog on it's own, walking the street and taking a dump, if you say to the dog "hey dog, you just dumped a crap on the street" then the dog just barks at you. That's pretty much what I see from turcs, barking at people.

Oh, and regards azeri/turc borders being closed forever....................one day the artificial zoological garden of azerbaboonia will not exist and we'll then have a border with Russia and the border with turcey which could be opened is nowhere near the false border we have now.
          Last edited by hrai; 07-06-2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hrai View Post
            David, you suppose most citizens favor opening the border and I suppose the opposite , neither of us know for sure,

Regards my wanting the rest of the world to officially recognise AG ? If a guy walks his dog down the street and the dog takes a crap, people tell him "hey, your dog just did a crap on the street." He'll probably say "Sorry, I'll clean it up". If you see a dog on it's own, walking the street and taking a dump, if you say to the dog "hey dog, you just dumped a crap on the street" then the dog just barks at you. That's pretty much what I see from turcs, barking at people.

Oh, and regards azeri/turc borders being closed forever....................one day the artificial zoological garden of azerbaboonia will not exist and we'll then have a border with Russia and the border with turcey which could be opened is nowhere near the false border we have now.
            The last 13 words in this paragraph help stave off loneliness. Thanks
            Artashes
            Last edited by Artashes; 07-07-2012, 01:33 AM. Reason: Wrote the word sentence but ment paragraph, confuses the point

Comment

Originally posted by hrai View Post

I have hopes for a border with Russia as well, although through Georgia. That way, the newly encompassed population will be Christian and we do not have to worry about Georgia being non-compliant. Also, I think having a Black Sea border is better than a Caspian Sea border because the latter will inevitably put us at odds with Russian and maybe Iranian energy interests, which is not something that Armenia needs.

Comment

Originally posted by davidoga View Post
                I have hopes for a border with Russia as well, although through Georgia. That way, the newly encompassed population will be Christian and we do not have to worry about Georgia being non-compliant. Also, I think having a Black Sea border is better than a Caspian Sea border because the latter will inevitably put us at odds with Russian and maybe Iranian energy interests, which is not something that Armenia needs.
                I meant Russian border would move south to us, I can't see our border on Caspian either. Honestly, I can't see a coastal region for Armenia so we should hope for a Russian border and a bigger border with Iran from a reclaimed Nakhichevan.

Comment

RUSSIA TO BUILD NUCLEAR PLANT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF ARARAT
                  Naira Hayrumyan

Story from Lragir.am News:

14:49 04/12/2012

Russia agreed with Turkey on the provision of USD 20 billion for
                  the construction of the Akkuyu Nuclear Power Plant. Vladimir Putin
                  announced about this in Turkey after his meeting with Erdogan.

"I would like to stress that the investment is very big - USD 20
                  billion - it is totally assumed by the Russian party, we will fund the
                  project fully", said Putin. He noted that more than hundred Turkish
                  students are trained in relevant specialties in this field in Russia.

It is noteworthy that Russia actually blocked the construction of
                  the Armenian Nuclear Power Plant apparently upon the request of Turkey.

Officially, Russia, of course, agreed to fund the 25% /USD 5 billion/
                  of the total sum required for the construction of the Armenian NPP,
                  but Moscow insists that the reactor of the Plant is Russian, while
                  the Western investors affirm the reactor can't be Russia and the rest,
                  say, French. At the same time, Russia does not reject participation,
                  actually, blocking the construction.

Now, it will build the Nuclear Plant in Turkey, after the Bushehr
                  Nuclear Power Plant in Iran. Experts discussed more than once why
                  Turkey or many other developed countries don't have the NPP, why the
                  West does not finance nuclear energy and creates obstacles for Russia
                  to build the NPP in Iran. Apparently, there is an unvoiced agreement
                  not to build NPPs in countries considered unreliable, where there is
                  the threat of Islamic radicalism. Turkey is among these countries.

Now sure, the nuclear weapon of NATO is in Turkey, but Turks don't
                  have access to it, just like to the NATO intelligence. The NPP will
                  allow Turkey make part of the nuclear super powers. If they manage
                  to torpedo the Armenian NPP, Russia can be proud of having made a
                  fraternal service to Turkey.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

ISRAEL SUPPLYING ADVANCED WEAPONRY TO TURKEY

Military deal, the fulfillment of an order that was halted after
                    the Mavi Marmara incident, is first of its kind since 2010 By MICHAL
                    SHMULOVICH February 18, 2013, 5:56 pm 5

A Turkish F-16. (photo credit: CC BY Ronnie Macdonald, Flickr)

ISRAEL-TURKEY RELATIONSWEAPONSMAVI MARMARA

Israel is providing advanced electronic warfare systems for aircraft
                    to Turkey, a fulfillment of an earlier order that was put on hold in
                    the wake of the infamous Mavi Marmara incident in 2010. It is the
                    first instance of a military equipment exchange between Jerusalem
                    and Ankara since then.

Turkey's Today's Zaman reported the sale, which will significantly beef
                    up Anakara's intelligence capabilities, on Sunday, and the aircraft
                    upgrade was confirmed by senior Israeli sources Monday. A source
                    said the deal was approved due to US pressure and Israel's desire
                    to restore its damaged relationship with Turkey, amid escalating
                    tension between Ankara and Tehran Iran over the Syrian conflict,
                    according to the Hebrew daily Haaretz.

The Syrian civil war has posed additional security challenges for
                    Turkey. In October 2012, five Turkish civilians were killed by Syrian
                    fire, sparking fears that Ankara would be dragged into the regional
                    conflict. Turkey vowed to respond harshly, and it deployed extra jets
                    to its border with Syria in the weeks after the incident.

Turkish soldiers patrol a military station at the border crossing
                    with Syria in Akcakale, across from the Syrian rebel-controlled town
                    of Tel Abyad in October. (photo credit: AP)

The electronic systems are to be integrated into the Turkish Air
                    Force's Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) military aircraft
                    that were purchased from the US in the early 2000s. The system enables
                    the planes to protect themselves from electronic attacks that target
                    its controls during flight, Today's Zaman reported.

In 2002, Boeing won a $200 million contract to supply Turkey with
                    the four AWACS aircraft - and a $25 million contract to integrate
                    electronic warning systems into the four planes was then won by ELTA,
                    a subsidiary of Israel Aerospace Industries. Boeing supplied the planes
                    to Turkey three years ago. Israel's fulfillment of the order, however,
                    was halted after it delivered two of the electronic systems in 2011,
                    in the wake of the Mavi Marmara raid.

News about the weapons deal comes less than three months after media
                    reports surfaced that Ankara and Jerusalem were engaging in secret
                    back-channel reconciliation talks despite heightened tensions over
                    Operation Pillar of Defense. Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu
                    confirmed that the two countries were trying to find ways to end
                    their diplomatic impasse.

Relations between former close allies Turkey and Israel soured after
                    nine pro-Palestinian activists - eight Turks and a Turkish-American
                    - were killed aboard the Mavi Marmara vessel, which was part of an
                    international flotilla trying to break the Gaza blockade, on May 31,
                    2010. Israeli naval commandos commandeered the vessel and were attacked
                    by activists.

Turkey has demanded a formal apology, compensation for victims and
                    the families of the dead, and for the Gaza blockade to be lifted.

Israel has resisted Turkish demands to apologize for the raid on the
                    ship and to compensate those killed as a precondition for normalizing
                    relations. Israel - stressing that its solders were attacked with clubs
                    and poles by violent thugs aboard the vessel, and insisting that its
                    blockade against Gaza, which is run by the terror group Hamas, is legal
                    - has said it "regrets" the loss of life, rather than issuing a full
                    apology, and has offered to pay into what it called a "humanitarian
                    fund" through which casualties and relatives could be compensated.

Turkey disputes Israeli assertions that its soldiers acted in
                    self-defense. The commando operation sparked worldwide condemnation
                    and led to an easing of Israel's blockade on the the Gaza Strip.

A UN report on the Mavi Marmara incident released in 2011 concluded
                    that Israel had used unreasonable force in stopping the ship, but
                    that the blockade on Gaza was legal.

Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Israel fails in new effort to mend ties with Turkey
                      February 23, 2013, 9:45 pm

Netanyahu’s security adviser held talks with Ankara’s Foreign Ministry director in Rome three weeks ago, to no avail

An Israeli-initiated effort to heal ties with Turkey, which saw Israeli officials meet their Turkish counterparts in Rome three weeks ago, ended in failure.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s national security adviser, Yaakov Amidror, accompanied by former Foreign Ministry director general Joseph Ciechanover, held talks in the Italian capital with Turkish Foreign Ministry Director Feridun Sinirlioğlu, to try to formulate terms for easing the rift between the two countries that has strained relations over the past three years.

But the contacts did not produce a breakthrough, Channel 2 reported Saturday night, and the Israelis came home empty handed.

Hatnua leader Tzipi Livni made her own effort to ease the strains by seeking a meeting in New York late last year with Turkey’s Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu, but he refused to see her, the news report said.

It added that Israel is feeling the pressure to mend the rift ahead of US President Barack Obama’s visit here next month, and that Livni’s decision to join Netanyahu’s nascent coalition might make the task easier. Obama is said to have urged both sides privately to heal their ties.

Similar talks took place in Geneva in November.

Israel has reportedly been prepared to apologize to Turkey for “operational errors” during its fatal raid on a May 2010 Turkish aid flotilla to Gaza.

As a condition to normalizing diplomatic ties with Israel, Turkey has demanded that Israel apologize for the death of nine activists who were killed when Israeli commandos raided the Mavi Marmara ship during a takeover operation in the Mediterranean.

The aid ship, chartered by the Islamist IHH organization, was headed to the Gaza Strip in defiance of Israel’s naval siege on the Hamas-run area.

Turkey has also demanded Israel lift the siege, but is prepared to drop that demand, a report in Turkey’s Radikal said last week. Israel is prepared to offer compensation to the families of those killed, according to the report.

Such a deal was reportedly under consideration in the summer of 2011, but was scuttled in part because of objections by then-Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman. Now facing trial on corruption charges, Liberman is no longer in government.

JTA contributed to this report.
                      Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                      Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                      Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Working...
                      X