Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Muammar Gaddafi and Libyan crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muammar Gaddafi and Libyan crisis

LATEST: Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's four-decade-old rule appeared in increasing jeopardy when days of anti-government protests reached the capital for the first time and security forces killed dozens of people.

Military aircraft fired live ammunition at crowds of anti-government protesters in the capital Tripoli, Al Jazeera television said this morning (NZ time) quoting witnesses.

"What we are witnessing today is unimaginable. Warplanes and helicopters are indiscriminately bombing one area after another. There are many, many dead," Adel Mohamed Saleh, a Libyan resident, told the TV station.

Saleh, who called himself a political activist, said the bombings had initially targeted a funeral procession.

"Our people are dying. It is the policy of scorched earth." he said. "Every 20 minutes they are bombing."

Asked if the attacks were still happening he said: "It is continuing, it is continuing. Anyone who moves, even if they are in their car they will hit you."

No independent verification of the report was immediately available.

Residents said several cities in the east appeared to be in the hands of the opposition as protests spread from Benghazi, the cradle of a popular uprising that threatens to overthrow one of the Arab world's most entrenched governments.

One of Gaddafi's sons said the veteran leader would fight the revolt until "the last man standing."

Protesters rallied in Tripoli's streets, tribal and religious leaders spoke out against Gaddafi, and army units defected to the opposition in a revolt that has cost the lives of more than 200 people.

Some analysts suggested Libya was heading for civil war.

"Libya is the most likely candidate for civil war because the government has lost control over part of its own territory," said Shadi Hamid, director of research at the Brookings Doha Centre in Qatar.

"I think what's going to happen is going to be much more chaotic than what we saw in Egypt or Tunisia. Gaddafi and his sons don't have anywhere else to go...They are going to fight," said North Africa analyst Geoff Porter, contributor to political risk consultancy Wikistrat.

Re: Two Libyan fighter pilots defect, fly to Malta

All bloody hell is breaking loose in Libya and Italy has placed it's Airforce on alert. If it's true that Gaddafi is bombing Tripoli he really has lost the plot.

Comment

If I was a Libyan Airforce pilot and I got the orders to bomb my own people in the middle of my city I would defect as well, but not before dropping the payload over Gadhafi's last known position.
      Last edited by Eddo211; 02-21-2011, 06:25 PM.
      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

I've heard reports of trouble within the ranks of the Libyan military. Basically the military in Tripoli fired on the military in Benghazi for not following orders. They were supposed to bomb weapons depots before the rioters got their hands on them. I think about a 150 soldiers were killed in the dissension among the ranks.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Anybody want to dig into the claims in the following statement?

"Libya is gonna be far harder to topple because it is where the CIA have all their black bases for training up terrorists and torturing 'terrorist' suspects (i.e., innocent goat-herders from the mountains of Afghanistan).

Both the CIA and MI6 used Libya in the 1970s and 1980s to train up the Provisional IRA in the use of Semtex and guerilla warfare.

The CIA used Libya to train up their Mujahideen and Al Qaeda in the 1980s and 1990s to do all the false flags in the Middle East.

Libya was set up to be a pariah state so that the CIA and MI6 could run all their little black operations from there.

Libyan Intelligence had nothing to do with Lockerbie. It was Mossad that did it.

Gaddaffi is now a tool of the Western Intelligence Agencies and a New World Order stooge."
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
            I've heard reports of trouble within the ranks of the Libyan military. Basically the military in Tripoli fired on the military in Benghazi for not following orders. They were supposed to bomb weapons depots before the rioters got their hands on them. I think about a 150 soldiers were killed in the dissension among the ranks.
            I've heard that too. After watching his sons mindless ramblings this weekend, I would say they'll be deposed soon. Hopefully Jordan is next. I would love to see the majority Palestinians taking down the Hashemites.
            General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

there is a video out there that shows the torched bodies of soldiers who refused to open fire on the people.....there must be a special place in hell for people like this.
              B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Hard to tell what is really going on, we never get the "real" news

Comment

We can't even get Al-Jazeera with our cable company. Too bad. Anyway, things are happening so fast that its hard to make sense of what is truly happening. It does seems that Ghadaffi will be gone soon. I hope Jordan is next.
                  General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Libya isn't a typical country, it's people are tribal and the only form is sustenance is the oil wealth. The population is about 5-6 million. I'd say that not much else can be done with the country no matter whose in power. I don't think Gadhafi is going to step down that easily, he has oil on his side to use as leverage. A country in civil war isn't going to help anyone at the moment and might escalate and spread further... either the protesters will be forced to back off or a full scale civil war might break out.

Comment

Working...
                    X