Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Ducati Monster 696 or Yamaha FZ6 for starter bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducati Monster 696 or Yamaha FZ6 for starter bike

I've wanted a bike for a while, but the timing wasn't right till now. I as close to being a beginner as one can be, having only been on a 35cc scooter before. I've been looking around for bikes for the past 2 weeks and have pinned down my choices to either a Ducati Monster 696 or the Yamaha FZ6. I hear they're both good beginner bikes, but that's from a friend who does 100mph villies on the freeway.

I'm really leaning towards the Monster, but I I like the FZ6. What you guys think?

Re: Ducati Monster 696 or Yamaha FZ6 for starter bike

From a scooter of 35cc to these? Get a car it’s much safer.

Comment

Originally posted by Yedtarts View Post
      From a scooter of 35cc to these? Get a car it’s much safer.
      I have a car. I only mentioned the scooter to reinforce the fact that I've never really been on an actual motorbike.
      Do you ride?

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
        I have a car. I only mentioned the scooter to reinforce the fact that I've never really been on an actual motorbike.
        Do you ride?
        I use to long time ago. Had a Suzuki 250 dirt bike, it was powerful enough to have fun for about 2 years, got rid of it after had a fall and it scared the hell out of me.

Comment

That Ducati is not a beginner bike...you can take that to the track (with little setup)and keep up with the big boys in a tight track. parts are also very expensive and the riding position less comfy for street rides. It is an excellent starter bike for someone who has some riding years behind him and wants to become serious.

The Yamaha 600 would be your best bet.....don't underestimate it though, I used to loose the bigboys (900cc) with my CBR600F3 in the tight canyons but on straight runs they had me.

And as far as injuries....it is not a matter of if it will happen but WHEN will it happen.

Most serious racers avoid streets all together but as long as you use common sense, learn your bike, let it be an extension of you, and most important finness and control....the rest (speed and performance) will come naturally by itself without you even knowing it.

I suggest getting good riding gear like a DOT Snell helmet (It has saved my life twice already) and join a basic training school and get your bike license, especially if it is required by the state. Leave the 100MPH villies for the kids and show offs. Real riders ride very responsibly, defensively, and when needed aggressively to maintain a a good safety margin.
          Riding is an art and science, you must master things like how to apex a turn, double shift smoothly, half clutch, countersteer effectively, manage your entry and exit speed, suspension loading and setup for your weight, trottle control, proper braking, body position, and where to look (field of vision), situational awareness, and avoid tunnel vision and fixations....all at once

To anticipate danger and think several steps ahead is also a key.

Happy riding, rubber side down and cheers.
          B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Thanks for the great reply. I'm plan on taking a basic riders class next month, though Ky only requires a permit to ride a motorcycle. I really like the looks of the ducati, but if it's not a beginner bike I'd rather have it later and enjoy it, rather than get it now and crash it. I had no idea there would be such a drastic difference between 600cc and 696cc, but as I mentioned, I'm very new to bikes.

How about the Ninja 600. Is it in the same range as FZ6? There are a lot of them around here so they go lower than others, though I don't like it as much as the FZ6.

Btw, how long have you been riding?

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
              Thanks for the great reply. I'm plan on taking a basic riders class next month, though Ky only requires a permit to ride a motorcycle. I really like the looks of the ducati, but if it's not a beginner bike I'd rather have it later and enjoy it, rather than get it now and crash it. I had no idea there would be such a drastic difference between 600cc and 696cc, but as I mentioned, I'm very new to bikes.

How about the Ninja 600. Is it in the same range as FZ6? There are a lot of them around here so they go lower than others, though I don't like it as much as the FZ6.

Btw, how long have you been riding?
              The FZ6 is a street/sport bike which gives you the limited performance of say YZF600 R6 and the street friendly handling of a cruiser. The engine displacement is about the same but the R6 performance is much higher (handling, cornering, traction control, weight, riding position, ground clearance, etc...)

Here is an R6 (I used to own an R1)

Ninja 600 are just as good, however I prefer Yamaha or Honda over Kawii. That Ducati is an awesome bike but as a rule I normally would not recommended to a new starter but it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get it....I be jealous

I started riding dirtbikes long time ago, ended up in local motocross 250cc races. I rode streets when I got older starting with a 600 bike above and transitioned to 900cc and track riding in Willow Springs, CA.

I have broken and dislocated collar bones, rib fractures, c12 compression fracture (spinal cord, almost went paralyzed), knee injuries, etc. over the years. I have damaged two helmets beyond use and trashed several riding suits on road rash.....all these years have taken its beating on me and now I have severe curpal tunnel on my right wrist (throttle hand goes complete numb after 15min riding) which has pretty much retired me from advance riding.

I do anything to get back in it.
              B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I went to the dealership today and checked out the R6 first-hand. It's an awesome looking bike. I want to eventually get the ducati, so I need to figure out whether getting another bike before-hand would not be too big a loss if I end up switching during the first year. I suppose I could also get the ducati, and just spend more time away from any roads than with a more beginner bike.

Wow, all those broken bones and you're still so mentally hooked to riding. Must really be a whole different kind of experience. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

It's generally better to get another bike before a Ducati. I had to get talked out of riding alltogether. Though I maintain Ducati's are still the best ride plus style, you could always sell the bike you started off with -- especially within the first year if you get comfortable with riding that quickly. You might lose a couple hundred, but at least not the full cost of bike.

Though, as someone else said, Ducati's are among the hardest to maintain - mostly because parts are expensive and then finding someone who knows how to fix it.

The risk factor is really high, so a couple more classes you'd probably want to take are specific "defensive driving" courses for motorcyclists. People who enjoy riding are usually the ones who want to keep doing it for a long time thus aren't reckless. You don't strike me as the reckless type, but also avoid driving inbetween cars if you can (it is super-tempting, so more likely than not, you will -- most do). It's almost unavoidable sometimes, too, so i'd also practice riding inbetween tight spaces (make-shift, like two cones or something; not structures or other vehicles).

I hope you find the bike that fits what you're looking for
                  Best of luck and looking forward to reading about your adventures

Comment

Originally posted by Tali View Post
                    It's generally better to get another bike before a Ducati. I had to get talked out of riding alltogether. Though I maintain Ducati's are still the best ride plus style, you could always sell the bike you started off with -- especially within the first year if you get comfortable with riding that quickly. You might lose a couple hundred, but at least not the full cost of bike.
                    The problem is I really want the Ducati, and it'll cost me 10x a couple hundred to switch later. If I bye a bike now I'll have to stick to it for at least a couple of years, or bye a cheap used bike for a few months.

Originally posted by Tali View Post
                    You don't strike me as the reckless type
                    That's funny, but sadly I'm more of an adrenaline junkie and live from one risk to another, I just don't have the time anymore, so a motorcycle would be a good way to bring back some excitement.

Comment

Working...
                    X