Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Anyone familiar with Buddhism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone familiar with Buddhism?

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
    yes!
    Don't worry, I'm fluent in typo: reading and writing.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      Sounds interesting; thanks! I can't believe I didn't think to search for science and Buddhism.... I did search for Buddhism and atheism though.

Buddhism Plain and Simple is the one I'm reading.

I did want to read this one: Buddhism Without Beliefs but there's no kindle format. *grumble*
      To borrow from your post in "tattoo in Armenian"
      .... I think Buddhism is the "tr@mp stamp" of the middle class.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        To borrow from your post in "tattoo in Armenian"
        .... I think Buddhism is the "tr@mp stamp" of the middle class.
        Are you being mean to me?
        Actually, I hear what you're saying as far as the new age "woo" is concerned, but that isn't the kind of thing I've been reading.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Are you being mean to me?
          Actually, I hear what you're saying as far as the new age "woo" is concerned, but that isn't the kind of thing I've been reading.
          I couldn't resist, and I knew you were wise enough to take it in good humour!

I agree with what you are saying too - Buddhism can be a serious subject to study, and has made important cultural contributions and influences to the world.

Maybe it's yoga that's the full-blown middle-class tr@mp stamp, the equivalent of the big ugly tattoo at the base of the back that women in overly tight jeans reveal when they bend down in the supermarket to get their 5L bottles of cola.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Sounds interesting; thanks! I can't believe I didn't think to search for science and Buddhism.... I did search for Buddhism and atheism though.

Buddhism Plain and Simple is the one I'm reading.
            I skimmed through the reviews of it, for the first "Over the last fifteen years, a growing number of books have shown up in trade paperbackland on the subject of Buddhism. More seem to arrive daily, invited or not. Most of them are aimed at the general reader and beginning buddhist." at first glance I thought it had said "budding Buddhist"! Good book title or not?
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I couldn't resist, and I knew you were wise enough to take it in good humour!

I agree with what you are saying too - Buddhism can be a serious subject to study, and has made important cultural contributions and influences to the world.

Maybe it's yoga that's the full-blown middle-class tr@mp stamp, the equivalent of the big ugly tattoo at the base of the back that women in overly tight jeans reveal when they bend down in the supermarket to get their 5L bottles of cola.
              It's an apt comparison. I have a similar response to having to dodge a carelessly swung about yoga mat as when I'm flashed the stamp.

My motivation isn't that of the bored suburban housewife. I think a lot of it is helpful, albeit often commonsense, advice conceptualized slightly differently. I'm actually interested in the meditation aspect and wanted some background in case I have to find a center or something to learn it better. I've actually used it intuitively as a pain management technique and on occasion for relaxation (e.g. for stress-induced insomnia) and I just want to improve my ability a bit so I can utilize it more effectively/efficiently.

I skimmed through the reviews of it, for the first "Over the last fifteen years, a growing number of books have shown up in trade paperbackland on the subject of Buddhism. More seem to arrive daily, invited or not. Most of them are aimed at the general reader and beginning buddhist." at first glance I thought it had said "budding Buddhist"! Good book title or not?
              Uh-oh! It is a good book title! I think that means you must now write the book.
              My advisor operated that way. Sometimes he'd think of a title and then he'd feel compelled to do the required research study and publish a manuscript with that title.

Comment

I wrote a paper in my last class on Sun Tzu. His Art of War is 2500 years old and is considered a historic document as well as a important guide on waging war and leadership. The use of his teachings are finding more applications today in war, business, and in many other competition based formats. His teachings have been a huge influence in China for 2.5 milleniums and studying Sun Tzu helps us understand Chinese business and government customs and actions. A centralized government like the one in China is perhaps the perfect fit for the writings of Sun Tzu.
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                  I wrote a paper in my last class on Sun Tzu. His Art of War is 2500 years old and is considered a historic document as well as a important guide on waging war and leadership. The use of his teachings are finding more applications today in war, business, and in many other competition based formats. His teachings have been a huge influence in China for 2.5 milleniums and studying Sun Tzu helps us understand Chinese business and government customs and actions. A centralized government like the one in China is perhaps the perfect fit for the writings of Sun Tzu.
                  The question is, does Sun Tzu have anything to do with Buddhism?

It's ok though, I really liked Sun Tzu also, I have a miniature little pocket book with the Art of War, and I would listen to an audiobook version while playing some online games where you're a soldier and have to shoot people. It would help me make strategies, and I actually increased me kill to death ratio lol.
                  Last edited by jgk3; 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM.

Comment

My motivation isn't that of the bored suburban housewife. I think a lot of it is helpful, albeit often commonsense, advice conceptualized slightly differently. I'm actually interested in the meditation aspect and wanted some background in case I have to find a center or something to learn it better. I've actually used it intuitively as a pain management technique and on occasion for relaxation (e.g. for stress-induced insomnia) and I just want to improve my ability a bit so I can utilize it more effectively/efficiently.
                    Ooof, I went through a couple of phases where I'd just listen or watch videos on google (and youtube) about meditation, some of the ones that I liked a lot, but were long enough to just leave playing and go lay down on the couch and fall asleep to, albeit in an altered state of mind:

Jon Kabat-Zinn leads a session on Mindfulness at Google.

Google Tech TalksMarch 15, 2007ABSTRACTIf happiness is an inner state, influenced by external conditions but not dependent on them, how can we achieve it? Ri...

I've had some lucid dreams while listening to these things...

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                      The question is, does Sun Tzu have anything to do with Buddhism?
                      I wasn't brave enough to ask!

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X