Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    Also, I don't think anyone can be 100% atheist if they've had previous exposure to religion. If your childhood surrounding was theist, you already absorbed some traits attributed to a theist upbringing. Unless, of course, you were raised in isolation. So the Armenian experience is what you make of it as an adult.
    How would one be less than 100% atheist? I've never met half an atheist. What "traits" (not sure that's the right word) did you have in mind?
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      How would one be less than 100% atheist? I've never met half an atheist. What "traits" (not sure that's the right word) did you have in mind?
      You weren't born in an atheist society, you were surrounded by theists. America isn't Mao's China. Your parents I'm assuming weren't atheist either. The laws by which govern you were created by Judeo-Christian principles. Unless you're writing from prison, I'm assuming you follow laws. So if you take all atheists, put them on an island, let them create their own society and governing laws, then their offspring who would have no concept of God(s) would be 100% atheist. An atheist in a majority theist society is still affected by theist ideology.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

You weren't born in an atheist society, you were surrounded by theists. America isn't Mao's China. Your parents I'm assuming weren't atheist either. The laws by which govern you were created by Judeo-Christian principles. Unless you're writing from prison, I'm assuming you follow laws. So if you take all atheists, put them on an island, let them create their own society and governing laws, then their offspring who would have no concept of God(s) would be 100% atheist. An atheist in a majority theist society is still affected by theist ideology.
        Umm okay, but you keep saying it would influence them, but how? My parents didn't go to church... how do you imagine being raised by theists (though pretty certain dad's an atheist) would influence me? You can't say something would exert influence and then not really even be able to articulate how it might do that.

Maybe this is easier? How do you think a "100% atheist" would be different than your average christian, other than the obvious religious beliefs?
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Umm okay, but you keep saying it would influence them, but how? My parents didn't go to church... how do you imagine being raised by theists (though pretty certain dad's an atheist) would influence me? You can't say something would exert influence and then not really even be able to articulate how it might do that.

Maybe this is easier? How do you think a "100% atheist" would be different than your average christian, other than the obvious religious beliefs?
          Just my guess and exposure to people from different backgrounds. They'd have a military demeanor. Wouldn't laugh or smile or even suggestively show emotion. Think Mr. Spock.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Just my guess and exposure to people from different backgrounds. They'd have a military demeanor. Wouldn't laugh or smile or even suggestively show emotion. Think Mr. Spock.
            Spock? You think emotion requires religiosity?

Comment

Spock? You think emotion requires religiosity?
              I think spirituality is part of the conscience and directly affects emotions. We are all born with it but it can be suppressed.

Comment

I think spirituality is part of the conscience and directly affects emotions. We are all born with it but it can be suppressed.
                Define spirituality as you mean it, so we're on the same page. Then maybe explain how it would affect emotions?

Comment

Define spirituality as you mean it, so we're on the same page. Then maybe explain how it would affect emotions?
                  This article pretty much sums up what I'm referring to in a more detailed and somewhat scientific approach:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...g-spirituality

Comment

Define spirituality
                    Ghosties and ghoulies and long-legged beasties, and things that go bump in the night.

I wonder, rather than taking this this direction - personal definitions of what people think religion is - maybe it would be more interesting to get back to the initial subject, the problem (or not) of being Armenian and not being Christian.
                    Last edited by bell-the-cat; 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

This article pretty much sums up what I'm referring to in a more detailed and somewhat scientific approach:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...g-spirituality
                      Umm... I don't think this really makes the argument you're trying to. I.e. it doesn't suggest religion lead to development of emotions.

This part of the brain is so old, it predates religion. The limbic system is one of the older parts of the brain (evolutionarily speaking) and doesn't really rely on cortex so these aren't so much "learned." That's what the research shows regarding emotion e.g. reading emotion on faces doesn't vary across cultures and we react more strongly to negative because it's more adaptive. If there's fear on someone's face, it will save your life to recognize that. Joy, not so much... So it kind of makes sense that we wouldn't be as good with those emotions; it's not adaptive.

The author, contrary to your argument, posits that broader awareness transcending the self only is required, but religion is not necessary for this. When I look at the world/universe I have a sense of wonder and I do feel rather small. That's because I understand how many billions of years it took. The fact that we're here asking these question about who we're here, how we think, etc. is so amazing, I can't even find the words to describe it. The vastness of the universe makes me (or even whole of humanity) feel soooo small in comparison. The fact that all the heavier elements, such as the calcium in my bones and the iron in my blood, were created in supernovas makes me feel connected to the rest of the universe. You don't need to believe in a deity to have that kind of awareness or appreciation.

Comment

Working...
                      X