Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Originally posted by Jinx
    Certainly someone can be an Armenian who is also an atheist, such as myself, but my question to you all is if you believe religiosity is something necessary (or at least extremely important) to the Armenian experience? Why or why not?
    Religiosity or spirituality per se is not a requirement for being a good Armenian. However, religious institutions and concepts have been vital in the shaping of the Armenian ethos from antiquity to the present day. Support for or participation with this religious institution does not require the individual to hold any belief in the supernatural and it does not require the individual to be spiritual in any sense.

The reason for my conclusion is because I believe the Armenian Apostolic Church, despite being the world's oldest Christian institution, is first and foremost a national and cultural institution more so than a religious institution. This sounds like a paradox until we analyze what the church has actually done and continues to do. Its a national institution because its main role throughout its history has been to preserve Armenian nationhood by gathering our political organization when Armenia was under foreign occupation or even when Armenians built up their diaspora communities. It provided us with tiny cloisters of national sovereignty in foreign and hostile lands. It is the main platform for our secular political strength, especially in the diaspora.

The Armenian Apostolic church is also a cultural institution because is preserves our cultural relics such as our language (Grapar), history, ancient pre-Christian customs, artistic symbols and motifs, architecture, sentiments, etc. The church is the largest and most capable institution we have that connects us to our very distant ancestors such as the Urartians, Mitanni, Hurrians, and others. Even Armenian schools across the world have their foundations in the Armenian church- This was true in pre-Communist Armenia and continues to be true in virtually all diaspora communities. The church perpetuates our cultural and national aspirations which maintains Armenian culture as a living, breathing entity in constant evolution.

It also functions as a place where the local Armenian community, no matter where it is, can muster its secular political organization. Our church does not force its congregation to believe in specific interpretations of scripture. Armenian priests don't attempt to convert people like many other Christian sects do. Our church is first and foremost a national, cultural and political institution, but those who want to go deeper into the actual theology are also free to pursue that knowledge. The pragmatic and secular appeal of the church is just as important, if not more so, than its religious appeal. For these reasons the church is an extremely dynamic entity which has wide appeal to both believers and non-believers (like myself).

So to go back to your original question- Not only do I believe that one can be Armenian and atheist, I also believe one can work with and through the Armenian Church while maintaining a lack of belief. Rejecting religion is one thing, but rejecting the Armenian Apostolic Church is something completely different. Thats my take.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
      Religiosity or spirituality per se is not a requirement for being a good Armenian. However, religious institutions and concepts have been vital in the shaping of the Armenian ethos from antiquity to the present day. Support for or participation with this religious institution does not require the individual to hold any belief in the supernatural and it does not require the individual to be spiritual in any sense.

The reason for my conclusion is because I believe the Armenian Apostolic Church, despite being the world's oldest Christian institution, is first and foremost a national and cultural institution more so than a religious institution. This sounds like a paradox until we analyze what the church has actually done and continues to do. Its a national institution because its main role throughout its history has been to preserve Armenian nationhood by gathering our political organization when Armenia was under foreign occupation or even when Armenians built up their diaspora communities. It provided us with tiny cloisters of national sovereignty in foreign and hostile lands. It is the main platform for our secular political strength, especially in the diaspora.

The Armenian Apostolic church is also a cultural institution because is preserves our cultural relics such as our language (Grapar), history, ancient pre-Christian customs, artistic symbols and motifs, architecture, sentiments, etc. The church is the largest and most capable institution we have that connects us to our very distant ancestors such as the Urartians, Mitanni, Hurrians, and others. Even Armenian schools across the world have their foundations in the Armenian church- This was true in pre-Communist Armenia and continues to be true in virtually all diaspora communities. The church perpetuates our cultural and national aspirations which maintains Armenian culture as a living, breathing entity in constant evolution.

It also functions as a place where the local Armenian community, no matter where it is, can muster its secular political organization. Our church does not force its congregation to believe in specific interpretations of scripture. Armenian priests don't attempt to convert people like many other Christian sects do. Our church is first and foremost a national, cultural and political institution, but those who want to go deeper into the actual theology are also free to pursue that knowledge. The pragmatic and secular appeal of the church is just as important, if not more so, than its religious appeal. For these reasons the church is an extremely dynamic entity which has wide appeal to both believers and non-believers (like myself).

So to go back to your original question- Not only do I believe that one can be Armenian and atheist, I also believe one can work with and through the Armenian Church while maintaining a lack of belief. Rejecting religion is one thing, but rejecting the Armenian Apostolic Church is something completely different. Thats my take.
      Beautifully said!! My views exactly.
      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Well said indeed! Btw i just nuked a spirit master and i swear i saw his soul leave his body.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
          These are conclusions without reasoned arguments from which to draw them.
          Please provide support for your conclusion that emotions are generated from the "spiritual conscience." That'll probably require first supporting the existence of a "spiritual conscience" first.
          Well, it would first come from defining the word "spirit". When I say spirit, I'm referring to a higher or more energetic level of the conscience. The reason these concepts aren't studied is because Western science doesn't recognize the value of studying altered states of consciousness. Western science only recognizes the value of studying the "normal".
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
            Well, it would first come from defining the word "spirit". When I say spirit, I'm referring to a higher or more energetic level of the conscience. The reason these concepts aren't studied is because Western science doesn't recognize the value of studying altered states of consciousness. Western science only recognizes the value of studying the "normal".
            Oh hell no... There's a chapter on states of consciousness in EVERY single intro psych textbook and it's something I've always taught. There's tons on altered states of consciousness. Don't assume!
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
            -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
              Oh hell no... There's a chapter on states of consciousness in EVERY single intro psych textbook and it's something I've always taught. There's tons on altered states of consciousness. Don't assume!
              Point me to scientific studies.... most likely it's left for philosophical or religious studies. I'm sure it's extremely well studied and those in the "circle" know the exact effects of recreational drugs on the brain (out of body experiences).

While Eastern cultural activities like Yoga and maybe (who knows) Shamanistic Healing become popular activities, I'll assume there will be value in making scientific comparisons to convince people that they have an effect on the human state of consciousness.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post

First off I want to thank you for this post. It actually addresses what I was interested in talking about, and you make some very good points. I understand and accept everything you said about the church and the role it plays in furthering our political goals. I guess my next question would be if there would ever be a time when the church wasn't necessary anymore, or if a new secular institution would take its place. If we accept that the religiosity could be, mostly, seen as just a facade, would there be a time when Armenians would be comfortable simply dropping that facade, putting the the black cowled spokes-persons of the AAC behind them, and banding together around some secular institution? This would not be for a very long time, if ever, but instead of banding around a religious institution for solidarity, I know I would probably be far more active in the community if it was centered around a more secular or humanist message. But that's just me.

Comment

Point me to scientific studies.... most likely it's left for philosophical or religious studies. I'm sure it's extremely well studied and those in the "circle" know the exact effects of recreational drugs on the brain (out of body experiences).

While Eastern cultural activities like Yoga and maybe (who knows) Shamanistic Healing become popular activities, I'll assume there will be value in making scientific comparisons to convince people that they have an effect on the human state of consciousness.
                  Point you to scientific studies of what? Shamanistic healing? You went from studying states of consciousness straight to the woo. Do I look like google? Here: I'll point you to whatever you'd like.
                  [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
                    First off I want to thank you for this post. It actually addresses what I was interested in talking about, and you make some very good points. I understand and accept everything you said about the church and the role it plays in furthering our political goals. I guess my next question would be if there would ever be a time when the church wasn't necessary anymore, or if a new secular institution would take its place. If we accept that the religiosity could be, mostly, seen as just a facade, would there be a time when Armenians would be comfortable simply dropping that facade, putting the the black cowled spokes-persons of the AAC behind them, and banding together around some secular institution? This would not be for a very long time, if ever, but instead of banding around a religious institution for solidarity, I know I would probably be far more active in the community if it was centered around a more secular or humanist message. But that's just me.
                    Seeing two people vow to be king and queen as they prepare to take on the world isn't a facade. Gathering family and friends for baptism in celebration of their new born isn't a facade. Having a place for the community to gather and mourn for the loss of one of its members isn't a facade. Armenians are secular in a sense but many of these traditions are part of our culture and unites the community. If there are two things Armenians love, it's feasting and celebration. How do you propose replacing these traditions that are intricate parts of society? What do you mean by more humanist? Armenian culture is as humane as humanity can get.

Comment

Seeing two people vow to be king and queen as they prepare to take on the world isn't a facade. Gathering family and friends for baptism in celebration of their new born isn't a facade. Having a place for the community to gather and mourn for the loss of one of its members isn't a facade. Armenians are secular in a sense but many of these traditions are part of our culture and unites the community. If there are two things Armenians love, it's feasting and celebration. How do you propose replacing these traditions that are intricate parts of society? What do you mean by more humanist? Armenian culture is as humane as humanity can get.
                      People can gather out of non-religious traditions to. You don't need to baptize to celebrate the birth of a child... Baby showers? Birthdays? You can mourn someone without involvement of the church. There are lots of secular funerals and weddings. You can do all of this without a prayer. These are things people celebrate universally. And mourning death is universal as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X