Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
    A true atheist don’t believe in God and goes quietly about it.
    ^Actually you just insulted all Atheists right there (while claiming I was insulting you by presenting what all Atheists actually believe), atheism is a non-belief, nor is there such thing as a 100% Atheist, most Atheists are Agnostic to some extent.
    Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    How would one be less than 100% atheist? I've never met half an atheist. What "traits" (not sure that's the right word) did you have in mind?
    See above as I don't condone nor favor atheist ideology but perhaps Peter can enlighten you.

See, when people tried to answer the original question posed, there was backlash because Jinx didn't get the answers he was maybe hoping to get. Then he changed his moderate view into a militant view (attack on the Armenian church).
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Though I don't wish to get involved in this particular discussion again, I just want to clear up a few inaccuracies, hopefully for the final time.

I am pretty confident that you know perfectly well that I am not a Turk, and you just threw that out there as a way to get under my skin and draw me back (which, to some extent, worked, because here I am). I also never came here with the intent to attack the Armenian church, quite to the contrary, I understand very well the historical context of the church and in what ways it has served us well. Comments about the church in relation to Armenians was if it was an institution we've perhaps grown out of having a need for, and if we have not, if we ever would. I don't think my tone ever changed from 'moderate' to 'militant,' what changed was the topic itself, so my responses changed to reflect that.

As for why would an Armenian in their right mind come here "just to attack the Armenian church," well, as I stated, I never attacked the Armenian church, but let us replace "attack" with "criticize." Why would someone of a particular ethnicity attack one of the institutions that is considered so important to maintaining the bonds of that ethnicity? Well, first off I will say that I don't believe anything is beyond reproach, anything can and should be criticized. And, more importantly, the reason for this criticism is to help a group move forward, to advance. I can think of a similar case with the black community. Undoubtedly, the Black Church has been the single most important institution for African Americans in the United States, and almost all major black leaders have come out of the church. Would that makes someone "not black" to question if this is an outdated institution that maybe blacks should not be (pardon the pun) be putting their faith in? Actually, several black intellectuals just do this, and I don't think they are not in their right mind, as you would suggest.

I never got angry or frustrated because I wasn't getting the answers I hoped for, as you put it; I got bored and uninterested because I didn't get a discussion that was being conducted by intellectually honest and mature adults. This time, I think I really have said all that I need to and I doubt I'll be returning to this particular thread. though, call me a cynic, I will be surprised if more insults are not directed towards me after this post or, at the very least, someone gets all up in arms that I dared to talk about the black community in the same breath as the Armenian one. Just a hunch.
      Last edited by Jinx; 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

See Siggie, Jinx understood what I was doing and didn't take offense to it, lol.

Your comparison of the Black struggle in America compared to the Armenian struggle is a good one. Except, how many Black people in America speak their ancestor's language or have a connection to their African roots and culture? Most African Americans don't know where in Africa their ancestors were even taken from.

Aside from some success due to performers/entertainers, black intellectuals have been in decline since the times of Martin Luther King. What I mean is, what people see on TV isn't a reflection of the real life struggle that the black communities face in America (except for maybe the TV show Cops).

The Black community in Detroit actually uses the Armenian church and community centre for their functions. If you want to criticize the Armenian church, what exactly is your criticism? Is it the criticism of the church or that some Armenians that go to church are just there for show but they aren't being true to the community? Is that what you meant by facade?
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

the church of Christ is not a human institution. it knows no border. one does not know its extent. only God can see.

every now and then a snot-nosed teenager straight out of a dostoevsky novel will come up, infatuated with a few lines he's read here and there and proclaim "God is dead" thinking he's smart and subversive.

maybe he should go further and have inverted sex inside a church building (a "political" act, cf http://forum.hyeclub.com/showthread....879#post313879 ).

hopefully "all will come later" (artour)

Comment

J’ai peur pour vous, dit presque timidement Tikhon.
            — Vous avez peur que je n’y résiste pas ? Que je ne puisse supporter leur haine ?
            — Non pas seulement leur haine.
            — Quoi donc encore ?
            — Leur.... rire. Il prononça ces paroles tout bas, comme malgré lui.

excerpt from: http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Possess.../dp/0140440356
            could not find an english translation online. this chapter was censored in earlier versions of the work.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
              See Siggie, Jinx understood what I was doing and didn't take offense to it, lol.
              He didn't take offense because he saw you as an imature and dishonest fool! Quote "I got bored and uninterested because I didn't get a discussion that was being conducted by intellectually honest and mature adults."

PS; lol.
              (Since typing that seems to excuse everything in Kanadahye's eyes.)
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
                Obviously no one believes in superheroes or science fiction.
                "States, cultures, societies, tribes and familes have historically always been very hostile towards any sort of 'deviance' from what they consider the sexual norm, because they feel the need to control the means of reproduction of their particular group. Any 'deviance' is seen as a form of rebellion and a threat to the prolonged sustainability of said group. This reminds me of a passage from George Orwell's "1984," probably my favorite book of all time, in which the main characters are engaged in 'deviant,' unauthorized sex, and Orwell characterizes sex as a political act."

Originally posted by gkv View Post
                every now and then a snot-nosed teenager straight out of a dostoevsky novel will come up, infatuated with a few lines he's read here and there and proclaim "God is dead" thinking he's smart and subversive.

maybe he should go further and have inverted sex inside a church building (a "political" act, cf http://forum.hyeclub.com/showthread....879#post313879 ).
                Looks like someone believes in science fiction.
                Last edited by KanadaHye; 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                  He didn't take offense because he saw you as an imature and dishonest fool! Quote "I got bored and uninterested because I didn't get a discussion that was being conducted by intellectually honest and mature adults."

PS; lol.
                  (Since typing that seems to excuse everything in Kanadahye's eyes.)
                  Nobody here takes you seriously so don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                    Nobody here takes you seriously so don't worry about it.
                    You forgot the lol, jerk!

lol
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I do not know if anyone agrees with what I am about to say...

I know that some survivors of horrific events do become atheists. While those
                      that were not very religious, became very much so.

Many survivors from different cultures share this experience. It is due to those
                      who survive and loose all their family, wonder "why the Lord let them live."

They may have mixed feelings or guilt, if they were the misbehaving ones
                      or those that in retrospect knew they did not 'appreciate their family.'

Some said, 'why were they allowed to live and not a brother or sister?'

When a survivor is alone, it is very heart wrenching.
                      Very sad.

Those that loose their faith, they say 'if there is a Lord, then why did he
                      allow all this to happen?"

It is difficult to answer and some close their ears if one quotes the Bible.

More so when one states they are the "skeptic's skeptic."

They pepper their words with "you have to use logic..."

I knew of such a man. He was this way till he passed on.

Comment

Working...
                      X