Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    So who died and made you King of what Christianity is and what it isn't and what people should or shouldn't believe? Seems to me, you're the one that's intolerant.
    You've never expressed an opinion about others' beliefs? You've never thought what someone believes is silly?

Scientology? We're immortal life forces that are intrinsically good, highly creative, and omniscient who brought the universe into existence, but since then have forgotten what we are and think we're embodied beings, so we're born and reborn as such.

Nation of Yaweh? They believe black people are the the original Israelites (God's chosen) and want to return them to Israel.

The Church of Euthanasia - They want to restore balance between humans and the world's other species by encouraging people not to procreate (encouraging oral and anal sex), to eat the dead (cannibalism), oh yeah... and to kill themselves.

Nuwaubianism - White people are a race of killers that were created to serve as a slave army for blacks.
    It is important to bury the placenta or Satan can use it to make a clone of the child. Some aborted fetuses survive and live in the sewers. Homo Sapiens were created in cloning experiments of Homo Erectus which took place on Mars. Jackie O gave birth to Satan's child in '66 who was raised for a period of time by Nixon and was nurtured by the Illuminati. Women existed for a few generations through genetic manipulation before they created men.

Kings are human but descended from the gods to be the intermediary between the gods and humans. Rituals and offerings must be made to sustain the gods and maintain order in the universe. Huuuuuge expenditures are made by the government then (King) on these rituals and offerings. People can make the gods act through prayer or magic. The life force leaves the body after death, but still relies on good and offerings to survive. That was Egyptian religion.

The Lady of the Skirt of Snakes created in the image of the unknown, decorated with skulls, snakes, and lacerated hands. She was first impregnated by an obsidian knife and gave birth to the moon, and to a group of male offspring, who became the stars. She became pregnant again, enraging her children who then decided to plot to kill her. She gives birth to War who kills his brothers and sister. That's Aztec creation story.

It is said that Raven made the world. He is a man with a raven's beak. When the waters forced the ground up from the deep Raven stabbed it with his beak and fixed it into place. This first land was just big enough for the house that was on it. There were three people in the house. This was a family with a man, his wife and their little son Raven who had fixed the land. The father had a bladder hanging over his bed. After much pleading by Raven the father allowed the boy to play with it. While playing Raven damaged the bladder and light appeared. The father not wanting to have light always shining took the bladder from the boy before he could damage it further. And that is how day and night started over the land. This is Inuit creation.

The Christian story has some strangeness too. We're just used to it. If you had first heard about these things as an adult, I think you'd have a very different take on it.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      The Christian story has some strangeness too. We're just used to it. If you had first heard about these things as an adult, I think you'd have a very different take on it.
      Difference being the history of Christ is fact. Stories as we know tend to get twisted and turned from one person to the next.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

So who died and made you King of what Christianity is and what it isn't and what people should or shouldn't believe? Seems to me, you're the one that's intolerant.
        Jesus didn't just die for Christians. He died for me too

Yes you are right. I am intolerant. But I am intolerant of stupidity. If you say something dumb (like ancient Greeks and Romans were more advanced than us), I'll call you out on it. If you say something smart (like when you said Earth and Sun go around each other), I will praise you and will try to have meaningful discussions and dialogue.
        this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
          Jesus didn't just die for Christians. He died for me too

Yes you are right. I am intolerant. But I am intolerant of stupidity. If you say something dumb (like ancient Greeks and Romans were more advanced than us), I'll call you out on it. If you say something smart (like when you said Earth and Sun go around each other), I will praise you and will try to have meaningful discussions and dialogue.
          What I said was the average Greek or Roman household was more advanced in terms of general knowledge of medicine, health, food, etc. than the average idiot today getting tips from TV "doctors" and late night infomercials.

Although you are right... there were no Christians at the time of Jesus's death
          Last edited by KanadaHye; 08-02-2011, 09:57 AM.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

What I said was the average Greek or Roman household was more advanced in terms of general knowledge of medicine, health, food, etc. than the average idiot today getting tips from TV "doctors" and late night infomercials.

Although you are right... there were no Christians at the time of Jesus's death
            In one case you're citing the most knowledgeable and intelligent people who were doing autopsies and surgery and then you're comparing them to the general public/average person today. That's not a fair comparison. Why don't you compare surgeons of their day with surgeons of today. THAT is a fair comparison. Not the most advanced of their day compared to the average Gevork of today.
            Even with your biased comparison, you're wrong. The average person today knows a great deal, the problem is that they also "know" a lot of garbage and their problem is that they don't know how to determine what is true and what isn't. I can utter two words that will demonstrate unequivocally demonstrate that even the dumbest of today know more than the Ancient Greeks and Romans (or people from 1800s even)...

Ready?

GERM THEORY!

Practically everyone (talking about developed countries of course) understands germs and the importance of sterilization.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

In one case you're citing the most knowledgeable and intelligent people who were doing autopsies and surgery and then you're comparing them to the general public/average person today. That's not a fair comparison. Why don't you compare surgeons of their day with surgeons of today. THAT is a fair comparison. Not the most advanced of their day compared to the average Gevork of today.
              Even with your biased comparison, you're wrong. The average person today knows a great deal, the problem is that they also "know" a lot of garbage and their problem is that they don't know how to determine what is true and what isn't.
              THAT is not a fair comparison. Obviously, collective knowledge compounds over generations. That does not mean however that the overall rate of knowledge in the public is greater per capita. As you said, the average person knows a lot of garbage and very little if any actual knowledge.

GERM THEORY!

Practically everyone (talking about developed countries of course) understands germs and the importance of sterilization.
              Really? I'm really surprised at the ignorance of poverty (fiscal, cultural and educational) in the "developed" countries because I can guarantee that a lot of poor people die in developed countries due to unsanitary living conditions.

Comment

I can guarantee that a lot of poor people die in developed countries due to unsanitary living conditions.
                You can't guarantee that a lot of poor people died in ancient Rome and Greece due to unsanitary living conditions?

That's ok. I can guarantee you a much larger fraction of the poor died back then from unsanitary conditions than today. You somehow seem to forget people would just dump out their garbage in the middle of the street in Rome. I don't know how it is in Canada but here in the US, even the poorest of the poor get to enjoy some level of garbage removal service. What "developed countries" did you have in mind in specific?
                this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
                  .. day compared to the average Gevork of today.
                  What did poor Gevork ever do to you?
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

THAT is not a fair comparison. Obviously, collective knowledge compounds over generations. That does not mean however that the overall rate of knowledge in the public is greater per capita. As you said, the average person knows a lot of garbage and very little if any actual knowledge.

Really? I'm really surprised at the ignorance of poverty (fiscal, cultural and educational) in the "developed" countries because I can guarantee that a lot of poor people die in developed countries due to unsanitary living conditions.
                    That's the nature of knowledge and that's part of what made your claim outrageous when you made it.

And no, that's not what I said. I didn't say they know a lot of garbage and very little knowledge. I said they know a lot, but some of it is garbage. I didn't make a statement as to what the proportions are. Note, I am not going to say "that's right you don't read well" like you say to me.

You can't guarantee that a lot of poor people died in ancient Rome and Greece due to unsanitary living conditions?

That's ok. I can guarantee you a much larger fraction of the poor died back then from unsanitary conditions than today. You somehow seem to forget people would just dump out their garbage in the middle of the street in Rome. I don't know how it is in Canada but here in the US, even the poorest of the poor get to enjoy some level of garbage removal service. What "developed countries" did you have in mind in specific?
                    I was also thinking of the physicians delivering babies or performing surgery. They weren't washing their hands before and couldn't understand why so many were dying.

What did poor Gevork ever do to you?
                    I needed an Average Armenian "Joe" *shrugs*

Comment

On the contrary, places like Rome and Pompeii were more than likely spotless. Even in Jerusalem one of the old city gates is called Dung Gate because refuse was hauled out of the city through the gate, hence the name.

That's the nature of knowledge and that's part of what made your claim outrageous when you made it.

And no, that's not what I said. I didn't say they know a lot of garbage and very little knowledge. I said they know a lot, but some of it is garbage. I didn't make a statement as to what the proportions are. Note, I am not going to say "that's right you don't read well" like you say to me.
                      I wouldn't call knowing how many RBI's Babe Ruth had in his career or what hair products Kim Kardashian uses as "knowledge". They don't even know how to balance a checkbook!!
                      Last edited by KanadaHye; 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X