Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post

I wouldn't call knowing how many RBI's Babe Ruth had in his career or what hair products Kim Kardashian uses as "knowledge". They don't even know how to balance a checkbook!!
    Neither would I.

They have at least a basic understanding of nutrition (even if they don't practice it), causes of various illnesses and how to prevent many (STDs? Schizophrenia? Epilepsy? Heart disease? Tooth decay? Polio? Measles? Small pox? food borne illness), hygiene (hand washing, tooth brushing, deodorizing, etc.), they know the functions of at least basic organs (brain & spine, lungs, heart, stomach, intestines, kidneys, the skin), they know about reproduction, they know how to disinfect a wound, to prevent bleeding out by tying tourniquets, etc. And a significant proportion of people know how to administer cpr and administer the Heimlich. Did the general public know these sorts of things in Ancient Greece and Rome?
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

On the contrary, places like Rome and Pompeii were more than likely spotless.
      You are wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitation_in_ancient_Rome -- read the "rubbish" section.
      this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
        You are wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitation_in_ancient_Rome -- read the "rubbish" section.
        Obviously there were no garbage trucks circling cities to collect trash so it was left up to individual citizens to dispose of their rubbish. The poor districts of cities were more than likely neglected. Much like America, only the top 5% were wealthy. However, there is evidence that points to massive waste dumps that the Romans created http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...crement-italy/
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

You are wrong.

That tends to be the problem with "it was like more than likely like ..." sorts of statements. A lot of speculation and zero research.

Obviously there were no garbage trucks circling cities to collect trash so it was left up to individual citizens to dispose of their rubbish. The poor districts of cities were more than likely neglected. Much like America, only the top 5% were wealthy. However, there is evidence that points to massive waste dumps that the Romans created http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...crement-italy/
          I'm missing the part of that article that says the cities were spotless, that all or even most of the waste was hauled out before it could have posed any health concerns, or even that the cesspit itself was sanitary, lined so as not to seep into ground water, etc. (doesn't say how it's emptied because these things tend to fill up... they weren't just digging one hole of sh!t after another in the middle of their cities were they?).

Can you perhaps quote the part that supports your argument?

It sounds like you're backtracking a little and revising to say, the wealthy disposed of their trash, but that the common folk were living in unsanitary conditions still.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
            That tends to be the problem with "it was like more than likely like ..." sorts of statements. A lot of speculation and zero research.
            More than likely means I haven't had time to research but I'm pretty sure Sip's "research" from wikipedia is rubbish.

I'm missing the part of that article that says the cities were spotless, that all or even most of the waste was hauled out before it could have posed any health concerns, or even that the cesspit itself was sanitary, lined so as not to seep into ground water, etc. (doesn't say how it's emptied because these things tend to fill up... they weren't just digging one hole of sh!t after another in the middle of their cities were they?).

Can you perhaps quote the part that supports your argument?

It sounds like you're backtracking a little and revising to say, the wealthy disposed of their trash, but that the common folk were living in unsanitary conditions still.
            http://www.theplumber.com/plague.html

"Ancient water supply and sewerage systems - along with various kinds of luxury plumbing for the nobility - also have been discovered in early centers of civilization such as Cartage, Athens and Jerusalem as well. But it was the Roman Empire of biblical times that reigns supreme, by historical standards, in cleanliness, sanitation and water supply. "

"Imperfect though their plumbing knowledge may have been, the Roman Empire still did an admirable job assuring public cleanliness and, inadvertently, health. Rome employed administrators known as aediles to oversee various public works, including coliseum games and the police. They also were in charge of seeing that streets got swept of garbage and streams cleared of visible pollution and debris."

Decline & Fall:

Whatever the causes, over time there was a noticeable deterioration in the moral values, dignity and physical character of Roman society. Symbolic of this general decline, by the time of Augustus Caesar in 14 A.D., the once authoritative aediles collected the waste only at state-sponsored events.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

More than likely means I haven't had time to research but I'm pretty sure Sip's "research" from wikipedia is rubbish.

http://www.theplumber.com/plague.html

"Ancient water supply and sewerage systems - along with various kinds of luxury plumbing for the nobility - also have been discovered in early centers of civilization such as Cartage, Athens and Jerusalem as well. But it was the Roman Empire of biblical times that reigns supreme, by historical standards, in cleanliness, sanitation and water supply. "

"Imperfect though their plumbing knowledge may have been, the Roman Empire still did an admirable job assuring public cleanliness and, inadvertently, health. Rome employed administrators known as aediles to oversee various public works, including coliseum games and the police. They also were in charge of seeing that streets got swept of garbage and streams cleared of visible pollution and debris."

Decline & Fall:

Whatever the causes, over time there was a noticeable deterioration in the moral values, dignity and physical character of Roman society. Symbolic of this general decline, by the time of Augustus Caesar in 14 A.D., the once authoritative aediles collected the waste only at state-sponsored events.
              Keywords being "by historical standards."

Comment

Keywords being "by historical standards."
                Exactly. Since you don't know sh!t about history STFU.

P.S. That's my last post on these forums.

Comment

Exactly. Since you don't know sh!t about history STFU.

P.S. That's my last post on these forums.
                  You sad sad man...

You never said they were pretty advanced for that time period. You said, unambiguously and did not clarify after much debate (spanning weeks!), that the Ancients knew more about health than we do today. That's what you said.

Now if you want to be a bitter jerk because you are wrong and are repeatedly called out on it, go right ahead. Give up, insult me instead, and then say it's your last post. That's a coward's retreat if I've ever seen one. Bubye!

Comment

Obviously there were no garbage trucks circling cities to collect trash so it was left up to individual citizens to dispose of their rubbish. The poor districts of cities were more than likely neglected. ...
                    I don't know what you two (sig and kanda) are fighting about. Seems to me like Kanada agreed that I was right, and he was completely wrong in saying "Rome was most likely spotless" since obviously Rome can't most likely be spotless and poor districts be more than likely neglected.

They built the fricking city on top of piles and piles of shit and garbage ... you don't need Wikipedia .. just go there once in your life (by the way, I LOVE modern day Rome). But even today it is far from "spotless" like you would see in other more western parts of Europe, Japan, or many parts of US. For one thing, you probably don't want to pet the feral cats there
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

I don't know what you two (sig and kanda) are fighting about. Seems to me like Kanada agreed that I was right, and he was completely wrong in saying "Rome was most likely spotless" since obviously Rome can't most likely be spotless and poor districts be more than likely neglected.

They built the fricking city on top of piles and piles of shit and garbage ... you don't need Wikipedia .. just go there once in your life (by the way, I LOVE modern day Rome). But even today it is far from "spotless" like you would see in other more western parts of Europe, Japan, or many parts of US. For one thing, you probably don't want to pet the feral cats there
                      I thought he had agreed with you even prior to this reincarnation of the argument. However, he went back to arguing the same thing...
                      Don't know why he flipped out and left after that. I guess not everyone enjoys interacting with me?

Comment

Working...
                      X