Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Originally posted by Yedtarts View Post
    See now you started to insult me. You don’t have to believe to what I believe in, no one is forcing you to believe in God, In your opinion he does not exist, that is fine, why mock something that don’t exist. A true atheist don’t believe in God and goes quietly about it, like I don’t believe in UFOs, you don’t see me writing books about it or going to seminars, have meetings or constantly mocking UFO believers, but most antis hide behind an atheist mask and mock God. And just because you don’t have a proof of God’s existence it doesn’t mean there is no proof, I have my proof that is enough for me, and whoever finds his proof will become a true believer, this is not a competition nor I want everyone to become a believer. You should be 100% convinced of it or else you will be one of those that goes to church as a duty, cross’ his face, lights a candle, leave some money there and come home.
    A true atheist don’t believe in God and goes quietly about it.
    ^Actually you just insulted all Atheists right there (while claiming I was insulting you by presenting what all Atheists actually believe), atheism is a non-belief, nor is there such thing as a 100% Atheist, most Atheists are Agnostic to some extent.

you don’t see me writing books about it or going to seminars, have meetings or constantly mocking UFO believers
    Yet many religious people have no problems, going to seminars, having meetings and constantly mocking Atheists for believing in evolution and having a life without god, as well as writing books calling all Atheists evil and inferior, and deserving of eternal hellfire? Or in George W. Bush's view they don't even deserve the right to be citizens or human beings.

And just because you don’t have a proof of God’s existence it doesn’t mean there is no proof
    Atheists never claim to have proof there is no god, they follow the scientific method as opposed to religious teachings, or the beliefs or seeings of the religious.

I have my proof that is enough for me, and whoever finds his proof will become a true believer, this is not a competition nor I want everyone to become a believer
    Yet you stated you want Atheists to be subservient to religious people and never say what they believe, keep silent in the closet and shut up. Thanks for that. Everything in your post has just proven, that you are out of touch with reality. I am just waiting for you to start claiming all Atheists are Stalinist (even though Stalin was himself brought up as Russian Orthodox), and that we all support Hitler (who was Roman Catholic btw). Belief or ideology has nothing to do with how good or evil someone is, instead it is the character of the individual.
    Last edited by hipeter924; 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
      Mocking is not right, but anyone and any ideology is absolutely allowed to be criticized. Religious people don't get a free pass to just believe whatever they want and have it be respected others just because its their faith. The most deadly thing is "this is beyond reproach, don't criticize it and just look the other way." I'm very vocal about my criticisms, but I don't think I out right mock. The church is not immune from criticism, least of all by me. Sorry.
      Albania was the first Atheist state in the world. People will and have died to keep their freedom to practice and teach their children religion. Atheists are not immune from criticism and just like any other ideologies, it's up to the parent to decide what to teach their children and shouldn't be dictated by the state.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
        Albania was the first Atheist state in the world. People will and have died to keep their freedom to practice and teach their children religion. Atheists are not immune from criticism and just like any other ideologies, it's up to the parent to decide what to teach their children and shouldn't be dictated by the state.
        And you have every right to criticize any disgusting regime, be it religious or secular. I don't think I ever implied the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
          The first Atheist DICTATORSHIP, is the key word, societies which are ruled through an iron fist are the ones that deny people freedom. With religion THEOCRACY is a key word as everyone is ruled through the iron fist of a few religious rulers or one religious ruler, just like under the Ottoman Empire where Islam was the dominant faith that forced its ideology upon Armenian Christians.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
            Wrong.

This actually puts it pretty well: Lack of Belief in Gods (starting at 7:30 is when the video addresses your issue with why Atheists feel compelled to criticize rather than go "quietly" about it, as you put it)
            What on earth that youtube clip has to do with what I’m saying.
            The clergy people, don’t represent God. They are actors who play and act to make money
            Last edited by Yedtarts; 04-25-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

The clergy people, don’t represent God. They actors who play and act to make money
              I don't mean to be insulting, but I suppose I have to spell it out, since I thought it was pretty obvious how that video clip related...

You said "A true atheist don’t believe in God and goes quietly about it" I'm telling you that atheists cannot, and should not, go quietly about it because religious belief is not benign. It's not like me being a fan of vanilla ice cream and you liking chocolate and me being extremely vocal about denouncing your like of chocolate. That would be rude. However religion does play a very big role in encouraging and promoting actions and values in people that are quite dangerous, or at the very least, weighing down the world of progress. You say go quietly, but how can I go quietly when religious people want to force schools to teach creationism as well as evolution in the classroom? How can I go quietly when religious people try to stop stem cell research that has the potential to save millions of lives? How can I go quietly when religious people use their faith as a basis to effect law and policy? That's what on Earth that video had to do with what you said. I'm telling you why this fervency is present in many atheists, and why we won't be quiet.
              Last edited by Jinx; 04-25-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Buy “Criticizing” (which most of you mock) God if you think you will be a better atheists go ahead and do so till your balls explode, do you think I care? I was just expressing my opinion and the way I think, I don’t represent all the believers, I represent myself, but let’s make one thing clear clergies don’t represent believers

Comment

Buy “Criticizing” (which most of you mock) God if you think you will be a better atheists go ahead and do so till your balls explode, do you think I care? I was just expressing my opinion and the way I think, I don’t represent all the believers, I represent myself, but let’s make one thing clear clergies don’t represent believers
                  I guess I will have to interpret your complete breakdown in coherence here as opting out of the conversation. Pity, I was enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
                    Atheists never claim to have proof there is no god, they follow the scientific method as opposed to religious teachings, or the beliefs or seeings of the religious.
                    Science also maintains false beliefs during a time period until new evidence replaces those beliefs that are proven to be false.

The question stated is whether or not someone can be atheist and Armenian and it's really a catch 22. Armenians were pagan prior to Christianity and their adoption of Christianity brought ages of enlightenment which was beneficial to the survival of the Armenian people. What is of concern is whether or not an Atheist is denying Armenian history by claiming that Armenia's golden age would have happened with or without the formation of a Christian state. In other words, did Christianity (at the state level) lead to an increase in intelligence or was it bound to happen regardless? Also, I don't see why someone of faith can't follow the scientific method.... science is a profession.
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

The clergy people, don’t represent God. They are actors who play and act to make money
                      What? Knowing people who actually are part of clergy, I can say that is the exact opposite for a lot of them.

I don’t represent all the believers, I represent myself, but let’s make one thing clear clergies don’t represent believers
                      For many they do, the clergy also being believers, and the clergy guiding the faith of those believers. How can you with knowledge of the Genocide be so ignorant that you fail to realize that Imams called for Muslims to kill the Christians (being Armenians, Assyrians, and Greeks), and it was their call and suggestion they would go to heaven that encouraged the Muslims to do so.

By “Criticizing” (which most of you mock) God if you think you will be a better atheists go ahead and do so till your balls explode, do you think I care? I was just expressing my opinion and the way I think,
                      You have no problems criticizing Atheists, in fact you have done so from the beginning. You don't think I should have the right to express my opinion, and furthermore you think that I should sit in the closet and shut up. Why should I respect how you think? Your double standard, not mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X