Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    It's not a funny quote, you took it out of context.
    And your own "Give us the child for 8 years..... " is what? That one is a actually a reworking of a Jesuit saying that refers to the early indoctrination of children with Christian dogma.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      Let's say:
      I believe in FSM. You don't. Both our positions are operating on faith? Is that what you think?
      Exactly. You can't prove the FSM exists and I can't prove it doesn't exist. You believe it exists, I believe it doesn't exists. Both are based on a belief.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        And your own "Give us the child for 8 years..... " is what? That one is a actually a reworking of a Jesuit saying that refers to the early indoctrination of children with Christian dogma.
        Someone with your vast knowledge has surely heard of Lenin and the Bolshevik party of Russia.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Exactly. You can't prove the FSM exists and I can't prove it doesn't exist. You believe it exists, I believe it doesn't exists. Both are based on a belief.
          Oh FFS... I guess I do need to spell it out.

1) You can't prove a negative. It's illogical.

2) The probability that he exists ≠ probability he does not.
          Reminds me of the "science teacher" in this story and his grasp of probability (halfway into video).
          The Daily Show is an Emmy- and Peabody Award-winning program that looks at the day’s top headlines through a sharp, reality-based lens.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

That's my point... Faith = belief without evidence
            Atheism = lack of religious belief
            There's simply not evidence for me to believe. If there was, I would be open to changing my mind.
            That's why non-believers use FSM to illustrate. If you're told there's a plate of pasta that rules the universe, naturally you'd want evidence of that.
            You hit on something else that's important as well... Believers like to attempt to get non-theists to concede it's possible as if that's some telling admission. Something with a near zero probability is still technically possible, but at some point, in order to be able to make sense of the world, we must require a minimum likelihood for accepting something as probably true and therefore changing your behavior, thoughts, etc accordingly.

Perhaps. If there was any interest early on it had more to do with rituals and things. It never provided enough or satisfactory answers for me.
            The definition of Faith that you have is incorrect and technically Atheism is a faith.

Let me give you an example I have faith in my friends, there reason why I have faith in my friends is that there is some evidence that they are trustworthy. While I do agree blind faith is dangerous, but there is also reasonable faith.

Comment

Someone with your vast knowledge has surely heard of Lenin and the Bolshevik party of Russia.
              Ugh, again with this...

The fact that some people used religion or tried to eliminate religion with nefarious intent is irrelevant.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Yeznik View Post
                The definition of Faith that you have is incorrect and technically Atheism is a faith.

Let me give you an example I have faith in my friends, there reason why I have faith in my friends is that there is some evidence that they are trustworthy. While I do agree blind faith is dangerous, but there is also reasonable faith.
                Colloquial usage of the word doesn't negate it's definition in the context of religious belief.

Originally posted by M-W.com
                Definition of FAITH
                a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
                a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
                : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>
                — on faith
                : without question <took everything he said on faith>

Comment

Oh FFS... I guess I do need to spell it out.

1) You can't prove a negative. It's illogical.

2) The probability that he exists ≠ probability he does not.
                  Reminds me of the "science teacher" in this story and his grasp of probability (halfway into video).
                  http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...adron-collider
                  You're trying to match wits of logic with an engineer.

You're saying "it's impossible to prove that something does not exist." Which is true in the technical sense -- but it's also technically true that it's impossible to prove that something exists.

In the real world, as opposed to say, math, you have to go based on probabilities. What science does is help improve probabilities that certain hypotheses are true. So when you say you can't "prove" a negative, not only is the word "prove" inaccurate, it's also incorrect. It's just harder to show beyond a reasonable doubt that something does not exist anywhere than to simply produce it.

A light switch has 2 positions, on and off. Proving it is off can be done by showing the absence of it being on. However, if you can't see the switch but you say the switch is off because the light is out then you still have no proof that the switch is off since the light bulb might be burned out. Confused yet?

Comment

You're trying to match wits of logic with an engineer.
                    Aww, cute. *pats you on the head*
                    Don't try the "I'm smarter than you" argument... You'll lose and it's a terrible argument anyway.

You're saying "it's impossible to prove that something does not exist." Which is true in the technical sense -- but it's also technically true that it's impossible to prove that something exists.

In the real world, as opposed to say, math, you have to go based on probabilities. What science does is help improve probabilities that certain hypotheses are true. So when you say you can't "prove" a negative, not only is the word "prove" inaccurate, it's also incorrect. It's just harder to show beyond a reasonable doubt that something does not exist anywhere than to simply produce it.

A light switch has 2 positions, on and off. Proving it is off can be done by showing the absence of it being on. However, if you can't see the switch but you say the switch is off because the light is out then you still have no proof that the switch is off since the light bulb might be burned out. Confused yet?
                    Yeah, we don't use the word prove. But at some point we decide it's probable enough to accept as true (until the next test).

This is what happens when you get science education from an engineer.
                    Science does no such thing. We do not manipulate the probabilities. We measure them. There's a critical distinction.
                    Further, "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a legal standard of proof.
                    I've always maintained you don't quite grasp the scientific method. Here it is again.

Comment

Aww, cute. *pats you on the head*
                      Don't try the "I'm smarter than you" argument... You'll lose and it's not a terrible argument anyway.

Yeah, we don't use the word prove. But at some point we decide it's probable enough to accept as true (until the next test).

This is what happens when you get science education from an engineer.
                      Science does no such thing. We do not manipulate the probabilities. We measure them. There's a critical distinction.
                      Further, "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a legal standard of proof.
                      I've always maintained you don't quite grasp the scientific method. Here it is again.
                      I just pointed out that you used "prove" incorrectly. I also said science is based on probability so applying science to something you can't measure is out of the realm of science.

Atheism is a dogma like all other isms, and you're using typical one liners like "you can't prove a negative".

Say your hair was on fire but I stated your hair was not on fire. If you quickly patted down the flame and deprived it of oxygen, your hair would not be on fire.... but it was on fire at one point. Would there be evidence of your hair being on fire 10 years from now?

Comment

Working...
                      X