Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Why are atheists disliked in America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why are atheists disliked in America?

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    Oh no... we're still talking about humors, we're still blood-letting, we're still dissecting cadavers and then delivering babies without washing hands, we're still conducting lobotomies, we're still rubbing mercury into every wound, and we're still treating coughs with heroin.
    Lobotomies were experiments (with CIA and government backing) and scientists learned a lot about the human brain. They weren't intended to be legitimate surgeries for medical purposes. Besides, that was just in the mid 1900's!! Hospitals were also removing tonsils as regular practice because "they weren't necessary" not so long ago.

Are you saying we shouldn't collect new evidence once we answer a question in science? We're done, close the book on it forever, never re-evaluate in light of new evidence?
    They constantly evaluate whether new observations fit with evolutionary theory and so far, they always have.
    I don't understand exactly what you're arguing here...
    I'm saying a theory is a theory and evidence changes over time so trying to figure out a crime scene 100 or 1000 years after the crime lessens the chances of collecting valid evidence. The same can be applied in cases of evolution. The world undergoes change and is never constant (what might hold true for a certain time period might not be the case for another)

Do you not actually read what I post? I'm also 100% certain that you never watched the video I posted.

It's not a genuine yolk because it's EMPTY, but it is a yolk sac.
    It's not functioning gills, it's the gill slits that in fish, then develop into gills.
    It's the protrusion that develops into a tail in tailed creatures. Of course it wouldn't have vertebrae.

The point is that the genes for these things are broken by mutations.
    When they look at the dna for these things and compare to dna for other animals, they can see it's the same, but with some mutations that have "broken" it.
    If a creator created humans independently, then why would we have a broken egg yolk gene?
    The yolk sac is empty during pregnancy? The function of the yolk sac during pregnancy in humans is MUCH different than that of a chicken egg.

They are not gill slits! They are intermediate stages in human embryo development. The throat (or pharyngeal) grooves and pouches, falsely called "gill slits" are not mistakes in human development. They develop into absolutely essential parts of human anatomy. The middle ear canals come from the second pouches, and the parathyroid and thymus glands come from the third and fourth. Another pouch, thought to be vestigial by evolutionists until just recently, becomes a gland that assists in calcium balance. Far from being useless evolutionary vestiges, then, these so-called "gill slits" are quite essential for distinctively human development.

"It's the protrusion that develops into a tail in tailed creatures. Of course it wouldn't have vertebrae."
    Have you been watching Shallow Hal again?

Originally posted by Jinx View Post

It is a wonder that atheists are more disliked than the faithful.

I don't find the above to be only stupid, but also disgusting and dangerous. This ridiculous billboard campaign is only being allowed because it is in the name of faith, but suppose that I, in my wisdom, predicted that a terrorist attack would occur on May 21st, or that some other natural disaster was coming that I had some sort of information about. Not only would the authorities be likely to come an investigate me, but it would also be treasonous to be campaigning for and celebrating the impending end of the world (and by implication, the end of this country).

In addition, why is it acceptable for me to drive around my city with signs put up that are meant only to frighten the public, potentially inciting a riot. Now I'm hoping there won't be a riot, and I don't think there will be, but telling the population that you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, know that the world is going to an end would be grounds for inciting a riot.

At the very least, I don't want children seeing these signs and hearing these advertisements and being scared out of their wits because they simply don't know better. There is no way around it, this is simply a disgusting and unsettling campaign by people who claim to be the righteous and holier than us unbelievers who will be left here to writhe and burn in anguish while they watch on from heaven.

In the poll that started this thread, it said religious people who dislike atheists do so because they feel atheists are "in their face." Well, trying to deliberately frighten me and my children* with slogans of the end time, which by the way there has been no public outcry against, is far more in your face and repulsive than anything Christopher Hitchens or Richard Dawkins has ever done to offend the faithful.

*(This was a hypothetical, I don't actually have any children of my own)
    This is propaganda.... only the Zionist Christians/ Evangelicals are fed this stuff through their brainless ministers. The "end of times" refers to the "end of an era", not the "end of the world".
    Last edited by KanadaHye; 05-10-2011, 08:48 AM.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      Lobotomies were experiments (with CIA and government backing) and scientists learned a lot about the human brain. They weren't intended to be legitimate surgeries for medical purposes. Besides, that was just in the mid 1900's!! Hospitals were also removing tonsils as regular practice because "they weren't necessary" not so long ago.
      And the rest? Conveniently ignored for the opportunity to talk about a conspiracy theory?

I'm saying a theory is a theory and evidence changes over time so trying to figure out a crime scene 100 or 1000 years after the crime lessens the chances of collecting valid evidence. The same can be applied in cases of evolution. The world undergoes change and is never constant (what might hold true for a certain time period might not be the case for another)
      They have not encountered a single piece of evidence that contradicts. It's not as if they stopped looking after they made the first few observations.

You think something that happens today won't leave any evidence that it happened 100 years or more later?
      Whether it presents a challenge or whether you understand the details of a field that is neither your own nor one you have looked much into is not the question here...

The yolk sac is empty during pregnancy? The function of the yolk sac during pregnancy in humans is MUCH different than that of a chicken egg.

They are not gill slits! They are intermediate stages in human embryo development. The throat (or pharyngeal) grooves and pouches, falsely called "gill slits" are not mistakes in human development. They develop into absolutely essential parts of human anatomy. The middle ear canals come from the second pouches, and the parathyroid and thymus glands come from the third and fourth. Another pouch, thought to be vestigial by evolutionists until just recently, becomes a gland that assists in calcium balance. Far from being useless evolutionary vestiges, then, these so-called "gill slits" are quite essential for distinctively human development.
      Okay gill freakin' folds, okay? What does it change? Show me an academic peer reviewed source that demonstrates that these same folds turn into mid-ear structures. Same ones... not that these folds form over that area.
      These are not the only examples you know (e.g. limb buds in dolphins)... Again... WATCH THE VIDEO.

Have you been watching Shallow Hal again?

I don't get it. I don't watch garbage. Don't make random comments; defend your position.

If we're going to argue about evolution, perhaps you should create a separate thread. Start it off by describing (or do it here if for that matter) evolutionary theory as you understand it.
      We can start there and make sure we all understand the theory before talking about what is consistent or inconsistent with it. Otherwise, it's a futile exercise.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

And the rest? Conveniently ignored for the opportunity to talk about a conspiracy theory?
        You're right. The CIA doesn't exist. The FED doesn't take taxes. The U.S. government isn't forcing its military on nearly every country in the world. The American people aren't gullible.

I don't get it. I don't watch garbage. Don't make random comments; defend your position.

If we're going to argue about evolution, perhaps you should create a separate thread. Start it off by describing (or do it here if for that matter) evolutionary theory as you understand it.
        We can start there and make sure we all understand the theory before talking about what is consistent or inconsistent with it. Otherwise, it's a futile exercise.
        You started on the evolution based argument which has absolutely nothing to do with atheism.
        Last edited by KanadaHye; 05-10-2011, 09:39 AM.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Sure, if you think knowledge is about knowing how to use your blackberry! People are clueless about everything from food to health to medicine. If government didn't hold their hand, they'd be lost like little children.
          People are clueless about food and health? Did you think back in the ancient greece and Rome, food came packaged with all its nutritional information, calories, sodium, saturated fats etc etc all clearly listed?

You do realize the Romans were dumping their garbage in the middle of the street right?

People were dying by the thousands at times when they would have outbreaks of diseases we don't even mention today. I don't know this but you seem to know such things with high confidence so I will ask: What do you think was the average life expectancy in Greece and Rome 2000 years ago compared to what it is now?
          this post = teh win.

Comment

You started on the evolution based argument which has absolutely nothing to do with atheism.

I think the universe is too perfect and mankind too imperfect for there not to be a greater source of intelligence. If someone were to say they saw God or God spoke to them, nobody would believe them anyways. Certainly people can have visions in their dreams and attribute that to having contact with God but it could just be that our minds are more powerful during sleep than when awake. Concepts of good and evil, God and Devil, etc. are representations of pros/cons, hot/cold, positive/negative. If you think about it, all the forces that are holding the universe together is in perfect equilibrium and if there was an imbalance, our world would cease to exist.

In the same way that we don't have evidence to prove there is a God, we also don't have evidence to prove there isn't a God. Atheists argue proof is not needed for something that doesn't exist. For whatever reason, we are conditioned to imagine things that don't exist, something we refer to as vision. If people didn't have vision, there would be no cars, no television, no vcr's, etc. These things came from people that had vision. Mind you, some people are still hunting for the fountain of youth and Big Foot (imagination is separate from vision). There was a time when people sat there and wished they could change the TV channel without getting up and wham, the remote control was invented. Some people wish and hope while others do work and create. I would be shocked to find out that scientists and inventors in the past were non believers, despite what most of us are told today.
            No, actually you started it...
            We would never be here to ask these questions if it wasn't so perfect. It seems perfect for life because the life here is adapted to the environment.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
              People are clueless about food and health? Did you think back in the ancient greece and Rome, food came packaged with all its nutritional information, calories, sodium, saturated fats etc etc all clearly listed?

You do realize the Romans were dumping their garbage in the middle of the street right?

People were dying by the thousands at times when they would have outbreaks of diseases we don't even mention today. I don't know this but you seem to know such things with high confidence so I will ask: What do you think was the average life expectancy in Greece and Rome 2000 years ago compared to what it is now?
              They didn't need nutritional information, their diets consisted of cereals, olives, wine, fruits and vegetables.... chickpeas, lentils, etc.

Sure there were outbreaks of disease during times of war or conditions put upon slaves, etc. but some people still lived past 70-100. A lot of their lives were cut short due to murder, etc.

Do you think the life expectancy in North America takes into account automobile accidents, murder, accidental death, etc? Most immigrant farmers don't live past 50. The statistics used to determine modern life expectancy isn't a reflection of true length of life. The biggest achievement as of late has been in heart surgeries and child hood diseases, malaria, or else the life expectancy of modern countries wouldn't be that much of a leap forward. The Romans insisted on insisted on fresh water and sanitary conditions in their homes and cities.

Comment

They didn't need nutritional information, their diets consisted of cereals, olives, wine, fruits and vegetables.... chickpeas, lentils, etc.

Sure there were outbreaks of disease during times of war or conditions put upon slaves, etc. but some people still lived past 70-100. A lot of their lives were cut short due to murder, etc.

Do you think the life expectancy in North America takes into account automobile accidents, murder, accidental death, etc? Most immigrant farmers don't live past 50. The statistics used to determine modern life expectancy isn't a reflection of true length of life. The biggest achievement as of late has been in heart surgeries and child hood diseases, malaria, or else the life expectancy of modern countries wouldn't be that much of a leap forward. The Romans insisted on insisted on fresh water and sanitary conditions in their homes and cities.
                Yes, not living in filth is an important first step. Had they largely eradicated polio, tuberculosis, etc? Had they discovered that adding fluoride to their water would help prevent cavities? Had they discovered fluoride at all? How about germ theory?
                Perhaps it would be easier if you tell us what it is they were so good at preventing?

When a particular measure isn't going to show things in favor of your argument you toss it aside. Oh life expectancy measures are flawed and can't be trusted... let's rely on Kanada's flapping gums instead. Perfect!
                Let's look at the survival of newborns then... What % of babies were delivered alive? What % survived to see their 1st birthdays? Perhaps this is a cleaner health index for you since babies don't go to war or drive?

Comment

Doesn't matter if they "needed" info or not, you said they knew more. What you are saying here is different. You are saying they didn't need info because they didn't have access to as much unhealthy options as we have today. That is true but at least we know what is healthy and what isn't.

No guessing here. What was the life expectancy in ancient rome? "Some" lived passed 70 to 100 doesn't mean anything. Today "some" live passed 70-100 too. If you were a normal human being in Rome, not a soldier, how long would you expect to live? How long do you expect to live now?

Also "outbreaks and disease during times of war"? No they had outbreaks and disease during ALL different times. I quote from here:

While the people of Rome are known to have suffered from plagues, which erupted at various times, the real killers, were infectious diseases like malaria (Plasmodium Falciparium, the most dangerous form), tuberculosis, typhoid fever, and certain digestive ailments like gastroenteritis. Studies suggest that the period from July to October was marked by high mortality, with about 30,000 residents dying each year. Roman authors refer to these months as ‘sickly’ and urge their fellow Romans to flee the city for the healthy climate of the country ...
                  30,000 dying a year? Even in a place like LA with many many millions of residents, 30,000 dead of some disease outbreak would be apocalyptic by today's standards. Just to put things in perspective, deaths by murder are probably on the order of 1000 or less in all of LA county. That's with almost a 10 million population!
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

Doesn't matter if they "needed" info or not, you said they knew more. What you are saying here is different. You are saying they didn't need info because they didn't have access to as much unhealthy options as we have today. That is true but at least we know what is healthy and what isn't.
                    They could have chosen to eat unhealthy as well but made a conscious decision not to include unhealthy foods in their diets. For the most part, kids in north america eat whatever the school cafeteria serves and society as a whole chooses an unhealthy regiment.

No guessing here. What was the life expectancy in ancient rome? "Some" lived passed 70 to 100 doesn't mean anything. Today "some" live passed 70-100 too. If you were a normal human being in Rome, not a soldier, how long would you expect to live? How long do you expect to live now?
                    The average age of the upper class was probably 50-60
                    The slaves were probably 20-30

How long do you think the American Indians lived prior to the European settlers jacking up their mojo?

Also "outbreaks and disease during times of war"? No they had outbreaks and disease during ALL different times. I quote from here:

30,000 dying a year? Even in a place like LA with many many millions of residents, 30,000 dead of some disease outbreak would be apocalyptic by today's standards. Just to put things in perspective, deaths by murder are probably on the order of 1000 or less in all of LA county. That's with almost a 10 million population!

The CDC report said the death rate for the U.S. population for 2009 was 741 deaths per 100,000 people in 2009

That's 7410 per 1,000,000 which was probably the population in ancient Rome. 7500 compared to 30,000. Mind you, statistics isn't a perfect science. Unless you're a tax payer, the government wouldn't notice you're dead

Comment

They could have chosen to eat unhealthy as well but made a conscious decision not to include unhealthy foods in their diets. For the most part, kids in north america eat whatever the school cafeteria serves and society as a whole chooses an unhealthy regiment.
                      Who's the they who could have eaten unhealthy, but made a conscious decision to eat healthy foods? The ancients? What unhealthy options did they have that they recognized as unhealthy and for that reason didn't consume.

The average age of the upper class was probably 50-60
                      The slaves were probably 20-30

How long do you think the American Indians lived prior to the European settlers jacking up their mojo?
                      Are you guessing again?
                      What do Indians have to do with anything...? No distractions.

The CDC report said the death rate for the U.S. population for 2009 was 741 deaths per 100,000 people in 2009

That's 7410 per 1,000,000 which was probably the population in ancient Rome. 7500 compared to 30,000. ]Mind you, statistics isn't a perfect science. Unless you're a tax payer, the government wouldn't notice you're dead
                      Are you suggesting an additional 22,500 could be dying in the US annually and we just don't notice them? How high do you think the error rates are?

Comment

Working...
                      X