Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Have our spiritual leaders lost their moral compass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have our spiritual leaders lost their moral compass

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
    This is a wider process that has been going on for some time. Are you aware that on his last vist to the US, Garegin got money from the Eastern prelacy and Archbisop. No one made a fuss about that? Now, as political tensions rise in Armenia, as a continued information war is being waged in and against Armenia, all of sudden people come out of the woodworks and proclaim the Church as corrupt. There is an agenda here and it is not a noble one of cleaning the Church from corruption.
    I think this is the point that I missed about the article. I think you are very correct Armanen in saying that there is an information war going on inside Armenia basically being NATO vs. everyone else. Maybe the bishop should be reprimanded, maybe not but the fact that I failed to miss (and that you pointed out) is that the motivations for it are coming from - let's just say - 'less than holy' people and organizations.

Do you know how many times throughout the history of the AAC the Catholicos has been 'anti-democratic', to use your term? Our church has some democratic features but it is not a democratic institution.
    That's correct, the AAC is not a democratic institution (and considering the likes of some self-hating Armenians, thank God!). It is an Apostolic Church based on Apostolic teachings, the Church Fathers, among other things. The duty of the Church is to uphold the faith of Christianity, not sway with modern/contemporary opinion and please the populace. We are not liberal protestants.

Do you understand the role of the Catholicos? He is the HEAD of the Armenian Church! Any member of the Armenian church from some random worshipper to a member of the church council to a priest IS under his authority as long as they are party of the Armenian Church. So they are subordinate to him in a way. This does not negate the role the Church Council plays, but to say that they are not subordinate to the Catholicos is to diminish the role of the Catholicos. More and more you sound like a Protestant, or someone with an agenda against the Holy See!
    Yes, they are subordinate to the Catholicos, but at the same time we should remember he is not an 'infallible' Pope. If there is proof that he is acting outside of his bounds or the doctrine/dogma of the Church, he can be reprimanded and in worst case scenario deposed. If I'm not mistaken, he is not spiritually of a higher rank than any other bishop, he only has jurisdiction over them i.e. Catholicos is not a Holy Order like acolyte, sub-deacon (minor orders), deacon, priest, and bishop (major orders) are.

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
      I think this is the point that I missed about the article. I think you are very correct Armanen in saying that there is an information war going on inside Armenia basically being NATO vs. everyone else. Maybe the bishop should be reprimanded, maybe not but the fact that I failed to miss (and that you pointed out) is that the motivations for it are coming from - let's just say - 'less than holy' people and organizations.
      Right, with the bishop who started this whole thread, I think he should be rebuked and/or kicked out of the Church. Trust me, if enough Armenians demanded that this man be kicked out of the AAC, the Holy See would have no choice. But what is wrong to do is to paint the whole AAC as corrupt based on the actions of the few, which is what some are doing here, either knowingly or thru ignorance.

Yes, they are subordinate to the Catholicos, but at the same time we should remember he is not an 'infallible' Pope. If there is proof that he is acting outside of his bounds or the doctrine/dogma of the Church, he can be reprimanded and in worst case scenario deposed. If I'm not mistaken, he is not spiritually of a higher rank than any other bishop, he only has jurisdiction over them i.e. Catholicos is not a Holy Order like acolyte, sub-deacon (minor orders), deacon, priest, and bishop (major orders) are.
      You are correct. The Bishop of Rome gave himself the infallibility only in the 19th century, 1870 to be exact. Prior to that there was no such thing, and even to this day many Catholicos take issue with papal infallibility. From my understadning, the Catholicos is first among equals. So he is equal with the other bishops but at the same time kinda higher than them.
      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

You are putting your own spin on the facts, that's hardly being unbaised.
        Then challenge the facts I am stating.

Do you understand the role of the Catholicos?
        Yes I do.

Before that lets clarify what he is not.
        He is not God. He was not sent or appointed by God.

He holds the highest office of the AAC, elected by his peers which includes people such as Archbishop Navasard Kchoyan.

Like any head of an institution his role is to lead his institution based on the “codes of conduct” of of his role,
        avoid controversy which will undermine the faith and trust the people have in him and the church.

Uphold the traditional values of the church and spread the message to raise the spiritual awareness of the people. etc. etc.

He is the HEAD of the Armenian Church!
        Yes, he is the SPIRITUAL head of the AAC
        He is not the chief administrator of the local parishes nor the Head Banker.

Well you should start to learn because with your views it won't be long before you are kicked out of the Armenian Church for heresy.
        It just show how much you know about the church.
        You haven't managed to understand the difference between spiritual and civil issues.

Heresy refers to spiritual issues not for criticising the catholicos or anybody else for civil issues.
        CASH and PROPERTY and (civil) OPINIONS are civil issues.

Contesting the church traditional teaching is heresy.

Individuals do not get “kicked out” of the church. ( you making laws as you go along !).

Clergy can get defrocked for deviating from the church “spiritual” teaching.
        Read the article posted earlier explaining the issues.

The issues here are not that whether the church (doctrine) is democratic or not.
        Nobody is contesting the AAC church doctrine or how that doctrine is “maintained”.

Without considering the entities below we are talking cross purposely.

Difference between spiritual and civil issues.
        Parish Elections, power and constitutions.
        Local (civil) “power” and duties and the “global” church spiritual authority.
        Roles of individual entities such as priest, church council, Catholicos etc. etc.
        Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
        Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
        Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
          Yerazhista
          With the greatest respect I disagree with you for the following reasons.

The Church council is an elected body within an individual country.

The Church council has a constitution which it has to adhere to.
          Incidentally this constitution would have been rubber stamped by the Catholicos of the time.

The constitution is protected by the law of the country.

Any action or challenge for a decision contrary to the constitution can be contested in the LOCAL COURTS.

This is nothing new.

To even suggest the catholicos can walk in and take decisions as he see fit OR

Originally posted by Armanen
          Do you know how many times throughout the history of the AAC the Catholicos has been 'anti-democratic', to use your term? Our church has some democratic features but it is not a democratic institution.
          is simply bizarre .

This is where the catholicos ( presumably through his advisors) is wrong and he has contributed to this sad situation.

This is nothing to do ( for me) whether the AAC corrupt or not, although I do not know the ultimate intentions of his decisions.
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
            Then challenge the facts I am stating.
            I brought up a number of issues which you did not address. That this is not something new, that the people behind this have other intentions, and that the Catholicos may be in the process of revamping certain things in the Church. Is he doing it via the proper channels, it may seem not, but that's likely what he is doing.

The only facts you are stating is that the Church Council has powers of its own.

Before that lets clarify what he is not.
            He is not God. He was not sent or appointed by God.
            He holds the highest office of the AAC, elected by his peers which includes people such as Archbishop Navasard Kchoyan.
            Like any head of an institution his role is to lead his institution based on the “codes of conduct” of of his role,
            avoid controversy which will undermine the faith and trust the people have in him and the church.
            Uphold the traditional values of the church and spread the message to raise the spiritual awareness of the people. etc. etc.
            Yes, he is the SPIRITUAL head of the AAC
            He is not the chief administrator of the local parishes nor the Head Banker.
            Did anyone here say he was appointed by God or infallible? So why are you bringing this up?
            I believe it is the idiots that sit on the Church council in Geneva who are stiring up controversy, not the Catholicos as you seem to be implying. Why is it so hard for you to understand that the church council acted out of line as well as the local priest by shutting the doors and refusing entry to local worshippers and high ranking clergy from the Holy See? And I like how you failed to mention that in cases where the local parish does not have enough members, they can be subsidized by the Holy See or the next closest parish that can afford it. This is not written in any bylaws of the Church either but it happens, yet I do not see you complaining about it.

It just show how much you know about the church.
            You haven't managed to understand the difference between spiritual and civil issues.
            I know it quite well, it is sad you have such a rosy view of things. Real world does not work that way.

Heresy refers to spiritual issues not for criticising the catholicos or anybody else for civil issues.
            CASH and PROPERTY and (civil) OPINIONS are civil issues.
            Sorry, but insulting the Catholicos or his authority can be grounds from getting kicked out of the church, it does not happen often in our church but it has occured. If heresy may not be the correct word.

Contesting the church traditional teaching is heresy.

Individuals do not get “kicked out” of the church. ( you making laws as you go along !).

Clergy can get defrocked for deviating from the church “spiritual” teaching.
            See above. Individuals can and have been kicked out from the AAC.

The issues here are not that whether the church (doctrine) is democratic or not.
            Nobody is contesting the AAC church doctrine or how that doctrine is “maintained”.
            Really? Because you have been contesting the role of the Catholicos and therefore, however indirectly, Church doctrine as well. Also, you have been painting the Church with a very wide brush just because of the actions of a few. So does 1 bad clergyman now equal 10 good ones?
            For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
            to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

I believe it is the idiots that sit on the Church council in Geneva who are stiring up controversy, not the Catholicos as you seem to be implying. Why is it so hard for you to understand that the church council acted out of line as well as the local priest by shutting the doors and refusing entry to local worshippers and high ranking clergy from the Holy See?
              Do you even know anyone in Switzerland? Or is your "belief" simply a display of knee-jerk prejudice (or knee-jerk protection of your vested interests)? The people who are closing the church to Karekin's imported "clergy" ARE the local worshippers as a last resort against Karekin's blatant refusal to follow the wishes of Switzerland's Armenian community regarding the future of their church.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

The course of the Armenian Apostolic Church is parallel to the course of the Armenian nation.

The Church has a heavy duty in both spiritual and national sense.

Dangers are real and big, No room for complacency.

This is a perspective from one of our spiritual leaders.

Part 1
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Part 2
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Part 3

Comment

Re: Have our spiritual leaders lost their moral compass?

The Armenian church in Nice, a nest of the Armenian mafia, controlled by intimidation and beatings?

In its issue of May 14, 2011, the newspaper Nice-Matin, as part of an investigation covering two full pages on the actions of the Russian mafia on the Riviera, including several involving Armenian nationals, reveals that the former priest of the Armenian Church in Nice, Vatche AYRAPETYAN, is currently the subject of an indictment. Among the cases concerned, are particularly two recent cases of trafficking in counterfeit currency and a prostitution ring involving the "Armenian Mafia" that including some of the perpetrators of violent intimidatory acts against the church leaders of Nice.

.....The church has became a lawless zone, deterritorialized like an embassy! Sunday after Sunday, the frightened faithful have totally deserted the church. About all this, the Parish Council has regularly met and informed the Catholicos in person, as well as the Primate and the Diocese of France. But our cries of "Help!" remain unanswered.
                  Full article (in French): http://www.armenews.com/article.php3...recherche=Nice

Or just a case of move along ... nothing to see here.

FRENCH DIOCESE OF ARMENIAN APOSTOLIC CHURCH NOT IN CRISIS

The French Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church (AAC) continues its
                  mission of preserving spiritual, cultural and national values of
                  French Armenians in spite of the obstacles posed by certain forces
                  and persons whose aim is to weaken the Diocese.

The French Diocese of AAC issued a statement regarding media reports on
                  developments in the church community of Nice. The document says that the statement by former parish council of Nice is untrue.

"The statement attempts to present that the French Diocese is in a
                  "critical and alarming state". We confirm that it is not true. We urge
                  members of the former parish council of Nice to stop their destructive
                  activities. We call on them to promote a healthy spiritual atmosphere
                  in life of Armenian believers in Nice instead of misinforming the
                  Armenian community," reads the statement issued by church council of
                  the French Diocese, Armenian Apostolic Church.
                  Original article in French: http://www.armenews.com/article.php3?id_article=70376
                  Last edited by bell-the-cat; 05-30-2011, 05:27 PM.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

In its issue of May 14, 2011, the newspaper Nice-Matin, as part of an investigation covering two full pages on the actions of the Russian mafia on the Riviera, including several involving Armenian nationals, reveals that the former priest of the Armenian Church in Nice, Vatche AYRAPETYAN, is currently the subject of an indictment. Among the cases concerned, are particularly two recent cases of trafficking in counterfeit currency and a prostitution ring involving the "Armenian Mafia" that including some of the perpetrators of violent intimidatory acts against the church leaders of Nice.

.....The church has became a lawless zone, deterritorialized like an embassy! Sunday after Sunday, the frightened faithful have totally deserted the church. About all this, the Parish Council has regularly met and informed the Catholicos in person, as well as the Primate and the Diocese of France. But our cries of "Help!" remain unanswered.
                    Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                    The Armenian church in Nice, a nest of the Armenian mafia, controlled by intimidation and beatings?
                    They are getting more sophisticated.

Control of the parish church is not by replacing the priest but actually get on the parish council.
                    You only need enough members to be obstructive and undermine the process.

Create divisions within the council and within the community.
                    The frightened faithful and deserted Church helps.

The seal of their success will be lack of strong willed community leaders.
                    Very much an uphill struggle.

Of coarse the behaviour of the Primate and the Catholicos is despicable .

Clearly they are voting with their (in)actions.

Comment

Let's not forget an earlier example of losing (or selling!) your moral compass and getting away with it: Patriarch Yeghishe Derderian. Amongst his many sins, in 1967 he stole dozens of medieval Armenian manuscripts from the library of the Jerusalem patriarchate, and then tried to sell them at Sotheby's auction house in London! The whole thing was hushed up by the Armenian Church and he actually remained the Jerusalem patriarch until his death in 1990. Until recently, I wondered how it was hushed up, but recently I was talking to someone who knew about the incident and he told me that rather than getting the auction completely stopped (which would mean admitting the manuscripts had been stolen), the manuscripts were bought privately by the Armenian Church and then returned to Jerusalem. This avoided the patriarch being arrested for attempting to sell stolen property. The auction catalogue has since become a collectable curiosity.

I was reminded of this because one of Derderian's probably ill-gotten treasures is on ebay. Item 270759511340 - "antique C1811 box from the personal collection of Patriarch of all Armenians for 30 years - Yeghishe Derderian. Hand made box with solid Gold and 4 green Emeralds on the cover and solid Silver on the bottom part". Buy it now for $4,900.00 (or maybe for $2,900.00 if nobody else bids).
                      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 06-03-2011, 01:13 PM.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X