Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

NASA News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA News

Starting a NASA News thread so we don't have separate threads for each!

---------------------

Shuttle Atlantis
    reaches orbit for
    final time

By Mark DeCotis, Florida Today

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Thirty years and
    135 missions after its debut,
    NASA
    launched a space shuttle for the final time
    on Friday as Atlantis streaked into orbit
    from
    Kennedy Space Center.

Atlantis and its four-person crew are
    embarking on a 12-day mission to the

International Space Station

The on-time liftoff at 11:26 a.m. thrilled a
    crowd of an estimated 1 million people who
    packed viewing sites along the Florida coast
    for one last look at a spaceship that
    captured the imagination and attention of
    fans around the world.

"And Fergie, for the final time … good luck,
    Godspeed and have a little fun up there,"
    Shuttle Launch Director Mike Leinbach
    radioed up to Atlantis Commander Chris
    Ferguson, giving him the "go" for launch.
    • PHOTOS: Space shuttle Atlantis over
      the years
    • STORY: Unsung heroes kept shuttle
      flying

The orbiter roared off the pad, leaving
    behind a plume that hung majestically in the
    air. The crowds at the KSC press site
    cheered.

The mission is the 33rd for Atlantis which
    first flew on Oct. 3, 1985, on a
    Department of Defense flight.

Questionable weather put the launch in
    doubt until less than an hour before the
    planned liftoff. A blanket of heavy, gray
    clouds shrouded the launch pad for most of
    the morning, but cleared in enough time for
    officials to clear the launch.

Atlantis is hauling a module packed with
    nearly 10,000 pounds of supplies -- about a
    third of it food -- and equipment that should
    keep the International Space Station stocked
    through next year.

End of an era(AT)

Because of the vast expense necessary to
    maintain and fly the shuttle fleet it was
    decided the craft had outlived its usefulness
    and it was brought to an end in a decision
    that will be debated in space circles for
    decades to come.

One of the points of contention is the shuttle
    should have been flown until a successor
    was in place to both guarantee the nation's
    leadership position in space and human
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: NASA News

How NASA has positively impacted our lives...

[COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

More water on Mars?

Discover satisfies everyday curiosity with relevant and approachable science news, feature articles, photos and more.

More evidence of flowing water on Mars!

For the past few years, tantalizing evidence has been found that Mars — thought to be long dead, dry, and lifeless — may have pockets of water just beneath the surface. To be clear, we know there’s water on Mars, in the form of ice. We see ice in the polar caps, and we’ve seen it revealed under the surface by small meteorite impacts.

The question is, is there liquid water?

New images by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter bring us a step closer to answering that question. A series of pictures of the 300 km (180 mile) wide Newton crater taken over the course of several years show dark deposits on the crater wall which change predictably with the seasons, clearly affiliated with some sort of material flowing downslope:

Click link above for the rest of the article!

Comment

What about that satilite that in the 1980s decided it would not follow orders from home base and drifted off on it's own to
        the universe and beyond?
        Does anyone here believe in the theories of a Plant X (plant Niberu) that comes into our
        universe every 3,500 years? Is the cause for the sun's solar rays that cause disruptions in telecommunications,
        etc?
        Imagine if it put out all the fun stuff-internet, computers, mobile phones, NASA sky gagets galore, as well as Russia's,
        etc.
        Imagine how no photos of Mars, the Moon, and all the other family of planets !
        We are all on this planet earth and there is no where else to go. Not habitable for now on other planets.
        So if there is a WWIII, we will end the only planet we know.
        People forget this.

We have made a huge leap in technology to see outer parts of the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Christina View Post
          What about that satilite that in the 1980s decided it would not follow orders from home base and drifted off on it's own to
          the universe and beyond?
          Which satellite was that that decided to opt for certain death instead?

Originally posted by Christina View Post
          Does anyone here believe in the theories of a Plant X (plant Niberu) that comes into our
          universe every 3,500 years? Is the cause for the sun's solar rays that cause disruptions in telecommunications,
          etc?
          Imagine if it put out all the fun stuff-internet, computers, mobile phones, NASA sky gagets galore, as well as Russia's,
          etc.
          There isn't a shred of evidence for a planet X. We have some understanding of why coronal mass ejections occur. If there was a planet with sufficient mass to disrupt anything, our instrumentation would have detected its presence on nearby celestial bodies or their light.

Imagine how no photos of Mars, the Moon, and all the other family of planets !
          We are all on this planet earth and there is no where else to go. Not habitable for now on other planets.
          So if there is a WWIII, we will end the only planet we know.
          People forget this.
          This is why we need a space program. Because eventually, Earth will not be habitable. If not due to our own doing, then an asteroid, gamma ray burst, or the eventual expansion of our sun as it enters its red giant stage.

We have made a huge leap in technology to see outer parts of the universe.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I recall it was on the news. It was a satillite that something went wrong with it and it was not taking orders from the NASA controllers-their
            machinery with what sends the transmissions and orders to the mechanism.

I do not know if it was associated in creation at some point with JPL.
            Or with a aerospace firm.
            I do not recall the name of that satillite. They mentioned it drifted off. This was the 1980s or early 1990s?
            There was another which moved beyond their control to a great degree and the news mentioned the NASA was surprised when
            all of a sudden images of one of the planets came back to them. It was drifting on it's own speed too. I recall the images.
            It surprised everyone. It is one of their early endeavors.

I remember the news mentioning pyramids or something on the surface of the moon or some other planet?
            Mars? There was a debate as to what it was.

Then the discovery of water on one of the planets. Then a moon surrounding one of the outer planets
            scientists and astronomy experts and amateurs did not expect.

Ice caps on one of the planets that no one thought should be.
            Last edited by Christina; 08-20-2011, 12:27 AM.

Comment

This is the site I could find as I do not have alot of time dedicated right now to searching on one of these topics.

This should show the debate on the image from one of the satillites of Mars.

Comment

Here is an article that mentions what I think is a communications media satellite of some kind. This shows us it can and does
                happen.

Comment

I would like to remind us the most amazing adorable Rover utilized by a satellite to collect samples, send data back to control.
                  I was amazed the first time I saw this on the news. A good photo of this in the article. I had to mention this. The samples
                  demonstrate the proof we can use to put together with scientists theories the foundation materials of the earth to some degree.
                  The theory of parallel universes I know we won't probably go into-that is a detailed subject onto it's own.
                  But this Rover proved alot that everyone did not know.

Of course we want to go to Mars. Until we figure it out though, roving robots with names like Spirit, Opportunity, Sojourner and Curiosity are our best bet for digging up dirt on our nearest planetary neighbor. Want to go along for the ride?

Comment

I would like to add, I recall seeing on a computer different lights-of beautiful colors dancing up and down in rhythm and I asked the
                    person what that was. He told me it is NASA or JPL sending out communications to outer space to see if any life is out there and if
                    so if they will receive communications from it. I thought he was joking. He said no. He was the skeptic's skeptic. But he said he
                    was keeping an open mind.
                    I found the article on it and the lights of communication to outer space. SETI.

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    Which satellite was that that decided to opt for certain death instead?

There isn't a shred of evidence for a planet X. We have some understanding of why coronal mass ejections occur. If there was a planet with sufficient mass to disrupt anything, our instrumentation would have detected its presence on nearby celestial bodies or their light.

This is why we need a space program. Because eventually, Earth will not be habitable. If not due to our own doing, then an asteroid, gamma ray burst, or the eventual expansion of our sun as it enters its red giant stage.

We have made a huge leap in technology to see outer parts of the universe.
                    [/QUOTE]
                    Last edited by Christina; 08-20-2011, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X