Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Would Azerbaijan win a war with Armenia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Azerbaijan win a war with Armenia?

Eurasianet:

The phrase "bellicose rhetoric from Baku" is by now a firmly entrenched cliché of Caucasus journalism, independent journalist Joshua Kucera published a story in “Eurosianet.org” referring to Azerbaijan’s Defence Minister Safar Abiyev’s statement that Azerbaijan is seriously preparing for war with Armenia over the disputed region of Nagorny Karabakh.

It’s worth reminding that Azerbaijan’s Defence Minister told OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs that Azerbaijan is seriously preparing to liberate its territories. “It's hard to know how seriously to take these sorts of statements; Still, that statement sounds, to my ears, more blunt than normal,” Kucera writes.

“The present Armenian leadership makes no such pretence. A premeditated resumption of hostilities by Armenian forces is not likely, but cannot be ruled out, as Yerevan commentators and some military officials, notably in Nagorno-Karabakh, warn of a “preventive war” if the entity comes under imminent threat.”

According to the columnist Armenian military analysts are confident of a tactical advantage, as their forces control most of the high ground around Nagorno-Karabakh. The northern positions are naturally well protected by the roughly 3,000-metre high Murov Mountains, while the lower, eastern flanks are mined and fortified by several lines of trenches. Any offensive beyond Fizuli and Jebrail would be literally and figuratively an uphill battle over difficult mountain terrain for Azerbaijan, requiring at least triple superiority in troops and arms, or a significant combat air advantage that Baku lacks.

“NKR Defense Army subdivisions are ready to confront any aggression of the rival,” NKR DA press speaker Senor Hasratyan told Panorama.am making remarks on Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister’s statement that Azerbaijan takes efforts to free its lands from occupation.

Source: Panorama.am

----------------------------------

I agree with pre-emptive actions to maintain the sovereignity and safety of NKR.
    B0zkurt Hunter

Re: Would Azerbaijan win a war with Armenia?

I wonder what Russia has in mind for Azerfakejan, will they support the armenian army going all the way to the caspian sea? Armenia would finally have a border with russia. It's all about russia guys, what they want will happen in the end.

Comment

Yes they would win.

They'd have the support of Turkey behind them, as well as probably NATO and the rest of the world. Even if other countries don't technically help Azerbaijan, they wouldn't probably help us either. We like to think Russia will always have our back, but we never know for sure what they'll really do. Georgia would risk angering Russia (asuming it's on our side) and fight with Azerbaijan b/c a win for Armenia on Karabkh could mean a future win one for Armenia one day with Javakh. As far as Iran goes, They don't want a more powerful Azerbaijan to the North, but they also don't want Christians conquering Islamic Lands, they prefer things the way they are now, and don't want either of us to win and become more powerful.

A war with Azerbaijan (no matter who started it) has 3 likely out comes.

1. A return to the status quo with another ceasefire
      2. We split Karabkah 50/50
      3. We lose Karabakh

The only way we could possibly win is if Russia, Iran, and Gerogia helped us, each of them got a chunk of Azerbaijan to result in something like this,

But chances of this are very slim. Even if we all did team up against Azerbaijan, that doesn't take into account the true ambition of Iran or Russia, both will race to Baku and try and get as much territory along the caspian along whatever else they can. Iran could also stab us in the back and take Nakhichevan. There's also Turkey's involvement. Russia, Iran, and Georgia might be willing to take on Azerbaijan, but Turkey has a huge Army and something tells me if they invaded Armenia, Russia, Iran and Gerogia would abandon us.

Then again Russia, Iran, and Turkey could cut some last minute deal where they all split up the South Causasus, and Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia would all be screwed.

In the end it's better just to leave things the way they are for now.

Comment

By military means they will not,how can they win they dont have any advantage ,help of turkey you say or better rest of the world ?

Axper go check second time your sources cause i can see major flaws,you are left behind .

Comment

Originally posted by ara87 View Post
          Yes they would win.

They'd have the support of Turkey behind them, as well as probably NATO and the rest of the world. Even if other countries don't technically help Azerbaijan, they wouldn't probably help us either. We like to think Russia will always have our back, but we never know for sure what they'll really do. Georgia would risk angering Russia (asuming it's on our side) and fight with Azerbaijan b/c a win for Armenia on Karabkh could mean a future win one for Armenia one day with Javakh. As far as Iran goes, They don't want a more powerful Azerbaijan to the North, but they also don't want Christians conquering Islamic Lands, they prefer things the way they are now, and don't want either of us to win and become more powerful.

A war with Azerbaijan (no matter who started it) has 3 likely out comes.

1. A return to the status quo with another ceasefire
          2. We split Karabkah 50/50
          3. We lose Karabakh

The only way we could possibly win is if Russia, Iran, and Gerogia helped us, each of them got a chunk of Azerbaijan to result in something like this,

But chances of this are very slim. Even if we all did team up against Azerbaijan, that doesn't take into account the true ambition of Iran or Russia, both will race to Baku and try and get as much territory along the caspian along whatever else they can. Iran could also stab us in the back and take Nakhichevan. There's also Turkey's involvement. Russia, Iran, and Georgia might be willing to take on Azerbaijan, but Turkey has a huge Army and something tells me if they invaded Armenia, Russia, Iran and Gerogia would abandon us.

Then again Russia, Iran, and Turkey could cut some last minute deal where they all split up the South Causasus, and Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia would all be screwed.

In the end it's better just to leave things the way they are for now.

Ara87, you have no clue what you're talking about and if I didn't know better I would say you are an azeri.

First, Armenia's military is much better trained than azerbaijan's and holds the high ground. The azeri military does not have nearly enough attack and transporation helicopters to bring their soldiers to the Armenian line of contact above the valleys. They do not have enough troops to attack Armenia on multiple fronts if they hope to launch a blitzkrieg in one central area, that being the Fizuli region.

Second, turkey would not help azerbaijan overtly especially if that means war with Russia, which it did in the 90s and even more so today then it is not worth the risk of igniting a massive war, which they'd lose. There is no question that an azeri attack on Armenia proper would bring Russia into the war and there is now more statements from official Moscow that an azeri attack on Artsakh would be very bad for azerbaijan. You and others, including aliyev jr. can read into that whatever you'd like but I see it as a clear warning and more than just a prediction of an outcome.

Third, Russia is the preeminant power in the Caucasus full stop. I do not care what turkey or Iran have to say about it, and in the case of the latter they will stay neutral or side with Armenia, again, just as they did in the 90s. And a turkish incursion into Armenia wouldn't be looked upon kindly in Tehran either.

Fourth, georgia is almost a none issue, they will try to get benefits from the conflict however they can as it is in the georgian nature to kick someone when he's down. If they overstep their bounds they too will find themselves at the mercy of Moscow and will lose whatever independence they currently hold.
          People act as if the eu or US would do anything, no they won't because they are in a terrible economic situation right now and the last thing on their mind is Artsakh. Of course they have interests in the region but they are not going to allow azerbaijan or turkey to plunge the whole of nato into WWIII over land that really holds no material value for anyone other than Armenia.

I shouldn't have to explain this as it as been posted so many times before by others and myself, but I guess this is the state of thinking in some diaspora circles, it is sad and pathetic!
          Last edited by Armanen; 08-09-2011, 11:00 PM.
          For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
          to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Yes they would win.
            Are you serious?.....they are going to get "Getto Stomped" this time.

Plus Azeris have alot more to loose this time around than Armenians.....I am sure Turks are Azeris on this Forum would agree with me, what do you say Wanted?
            B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

If Azerbaijan could win a war with Armenia, they would have attacked a long time ago. They know very well that our positions are very strong and it would be extremely difficult to take back mountainous karabakh. Our armies are assessed frequently as the best fighting force in the region, and we have really developed our army well. Azerbaijan has too much to lose if they attack : oil wealth, investments, reputation (eg eurovision), not to mention a second humiliating defeat. In my view, they are just hoping that someone like Levon becomes president and sells Karabakh to them.

Russia, in my view, though our ally, is playing both sides - Azeris after all have oil and gas which Russians want. And thus Russia has sold weapons to Azeris as well, and continues to utilise the radar base there.

The West, aside from some statements, won't get involved like in the Georgia conflict. They have enough problems on their hands.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---
              "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I am in no way saying what is depicted on that map is actually likely.

The map was in response to a question if Russia was ready for an Armenian invasion that went all the way to the Caspian Sea and to share a border with us, implying that somehow we could takeover the whole of Azerbaijan. All I was implying is that if Azerbaijan was up for grabs you could bet your ass off that Russia and Iran would do whatever it took to get as much Azeri land as they could before we even see a snippet. There is no way either of those countries would give up a chance at more Caspian oil.

As far as a war goes

If no one else gets involved maybe we'll win, but even with a geographical advantage, the Azeri army is larger and has more money and could basically wait us out if they wanted until they succeed. The reason they aren't doing that is b/c they're biding their time building up supplies, etc, b/c they know they're not ready, and they are waiting for us to make the first move so they can portray themselves as the victims so they will receive more sympathies.

And it unrealistic to think that other countries won't play a role in this conflict. And as far as counting on Russia goes, sure they're for us now, but who knows who'll they'll support in a couple of years? Also they said they'd only help us if Azerbaijan was the aggressor, if we make the first move who knows what will happen.

As for Turkey, they have the 2nd largest army in NATO, and they could lend troops, supplies, weapons, etc to Azerbaijan, and get the support of NATO behind Azerbaijan, since quite a few NATO countries dislike Russia.

As for Iran they don't want either Armenia or Azerbaijan to get out of this stale-mate, b/c it would mean having a stronger neighbor to the north, which is why they're so keen on helping us out, b/c a somewhat stronger Armenia keeps Azerbaijan in check.

But as for supporting Armenia in a war that results in us officially including Artsakh, maybe Nakichevan, and more, that might be to much for them, especially since it's can be viewed as Christians taking Muslim land
                Last edited by ara87; 08-30-2011, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I am in no way saying what is depicted on that map is actually likely.
                  I don't think anyone gave any regard at all to the map, another lot of crayon drawing on paper. People disagreed with your statement that the baboons would win.

As for Turkey, they have the 2nd largest army in NATO, and they could lend troops, supplies, weapons, etc to Azerbaijan, and get the support of NATO behind Azerbaijan, since quite a few NATO countries dislike Russia.
                  Which countries and these countries, could they lead NATO into a war? I doubt it.

But as for supporting Armenia in a war that results in us officially including Artsakh, maybe Nakichevan, and more, that might be to much for them, especially since it's can be viewed as Christians taking Muslim land
                  I don't think Iran would give a rat's ass if azerbaboon was reduced in size and noise.

Comment

Working...
                  X