Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Civil Disobedience or Lawlessness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Disobedience or Lawlessness?

Gay Marriage in San Francisco

What do you guys think? Is it right for the mayor and county clerk to ignore state law if they believe the state and federal constitutions conflict with it? Should elected officials disregard laws that they find unconstitutional or morally objectionable? What about ordinary citizens? Is it our moral obligation to peacefully break laws that we object to?

The US and every other nation has a history of unjust laws and oppression of minorities and minority opinions. Willful disobedience has at times led to meaningful reform, but it can also lead to anarchistic behavior (in the modern, not classical, sense). When voting and petitioning and protesting aren't enough, how far would you go?

VERY GOOD THREAD! DAMN. I will give you a response at the weekends end.

This is refreshing.

Comment

Good to know that San Francisco county is breaking federal and state law, and no one here seems to have any opinion about it.

Comment

The most effective way would be <self-censored>.

This thread is pointless. I suggest that it be locked, as it is of an inflammatory nature.

I'm not being sarcastic, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan The most effective way would be <self-censored>.

This thread is pointless. I suggest that it be locked, as it is of an inflammatory nature.

I'm not being sarcastic, btw.
          So why did you bring it back up to the top? Dan, you suck.

I think cities should be able to do what they please. Power to local governments means less, smaller government, which is good in most cases.

However, I have my economic points of view. When people are married they are eligible for tax breaks. They deserve it because they can produce children which is, economically speaking, an expense. Gay couples can not produce children and in situations as such, both partners are working and derive revenues from two sources. They do not need tax breaks. If you are one of those people who believe that "those with money should pay more taxes" then gay marriages should not be gifted with tax breaks, because most gay couples have a higher income than most straight couples.

Whether or not they should be allowed to adopt children is a whole other thread.

Comment

I did not bring it back up to the top. Loseyourname did. And I posted in it saying this thread had a potential to be inflammatory, considering what's been going on on the board lately.

Comment

most gay couples have a higher income than most straight couples.
              And how did you arrive to that conclusion? What's so different about gay couples and straight couples when it comes to income? it's post-spending that gay couples and straight couples differ..

Comment

Originally posted by surferarmo I think cities should be able to do what they please. Power to local governments means less, smaller government, which is good in most cases.
                So a mayor should be able to unilaterally act in violation of state and federal law if he feels that law is unconstitutional? In a way, I think this is the most beautiful thing I have seen happen politically in quite some time. But another part of me fears that this sets a dangerous precedent. I don't want to use a slippery slope argument because that is an invalid form of argumentation, but nonetheless, it is a bit worrisome.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan And how did you arrive to that conclusion? What's so different about gay couples and straight couples when it comes to income? it's post-spending that gay couples and straight couples differ..
                  Dan, if you don't want this to become inflammatory, don't turn it into a thread about gay marriage. That isn't what it is. Read the subject heading.

Comment

where on earth did you read the word gay marriage????? stop this sh*t right now, in the name of whatever god you worship.

I tried PM-ing you but your inbox is full. k nevermind.
                    Last edited by Dan; 02-16-2004, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X