Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nutrition - Sugar:The Bitter Truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrition - Sugar:The Bitter Truth

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dBnniua6-oM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Nutrition - Sugar:The Bitter Truth

Comment

I posted a talk by physician and professor from a highly reputable university who supported what he said with research. This is a science forum afterall...

I've seen other YT videos from this user, psychetruth, and I have heard misinformation and myths being propagated by her. While she may have some useful suggestions, like cutting the sugary soft drinks, other things she says are completely unsubstantiated (e.g. the artificial sweetener stuff; the research does not bear out what she claims). The channel also discloses that this person advocates alternative medicine and that's a red flag for sure... I encourage people to be cautious; anyone can put up a video on YT.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
        I posted a talk by physician and professor from a highly reputable university who supported what he said with research. This is a science forum afterall...

I've seen other YT videos from this user, psychetruth, and I have heard misinformation and myths being propagated by her. While she may have some useful suggestions, like cutting the sugary soft drinks, other things she says are completely unsubstantiated (e.g. the artificial sweetener stuff; the research does not bear out what she claims). The channel also discloses that this person advocates alternative medicine and that's a red flag for sure... I encourage people to be cautious; anyone can put up a video on YT.
        Stevia. It has been around forever. It is a natural plant that is healthy to use with cooking or cold.
        It is made into power form or liquid.
        It is sweeter than sugar so a person has to use to taste.

Gloria Swanson, the famous 1920s actress never liked sugar.

There is a book that states the sugar cane plants in Hawai'i is healthy to
        eat as it is.

Interesting, the original Armenian food was not with sugar, and other ingredients modern
        people use.

Back centuries ago or even as far as 18th-19th c, recipes have only natural plants, ingredients,
        and hence the food was better and there was no preservatives, the animals lived off the land and
        the meat was healthy, as were the inhabitants.

Comment

My dad has grown stevia in his garden for 2 summers now, it's a wonderfully sweet plant and is a leaf of it is a great substitute to common sugar in coffee or tea.

Regarding peoples' diets in the 18th-19th centuries, I'm sure the food must've tasted better since people had to make things themselves (the average Armenian farmer did not go shopping or to restaurants), but they found their ways to preserve food... Pickles use vinegar and salt as a preservative, cured meats use acids and spices... Making jams by boiling fruits with sugar... all of these are considered preservatives.

Animals lived off the land and they were as healthy as the land was able to make them.
          Same goes with the inhabitants. And the inhabitants didn't have a medical system like today's, they also did not have our present knowledge about risks associated with dietary choices, they had their own popular ideas about that subject and might've been right or wrong about all sorts of different stuff. For example, since sugars and salts were so important for preserving food, they were likely abundantly consumed, and I don't think at that time you had doctors waving their finger at them saying, "that's gonna raise your blood pressure, raise your risk of of diabetes, etc..." I think that mentality towards sugar, salt, fat, etc,,, is much more recent, starting in the 50s-60s (which is also why when we taste old fashioned cooking made by skillful grandmothers and greatgrandmothers we taste a heaven that is no longer commonly found in society!)

Like today, where it's expected that you'll have some old age disease when you get older, for them, heart attacks and organs not working properly were a normal part of life, except that these conditions were less treatable back then than they are today due to the technological disparity in medicine.
          Last edited by jgk3; 08-30-2011, 06:11 AM.

Comment

I was watching this vid and found it very interesting but it cutts out when he starts talking about sport drinks. I hope to find the rest of it. Thank you for posting it.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
              I was watching this vid and found it very interesting but it cutts out when he starts talking about sport drinks. I hope to find the rest of it. Thank you for posting it.
              That's odd. It's complete for me... Try watching it in YT instead of embedded maybe?

Comment

you know what's funny about this topic? For once KanadaHye isn't fighting with Siggie, because this is related to a government conspiracy!

Anyway, I watched the whole video and found it really informative Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Sure Jeff. I actually found a good article too. I will find it and share it. I haven't had a chance to read it all yet.

Comment

Thanks, I'd like to read it

Comment

Working...
                    X