Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Photo "blog"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo "blog"

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    OOoOooh! That's awesome! They do look like out-of-earlier-decades dinosaur cameras, don't they?
    You're absolutely right, digital is not yet at the medium format level yet. I liked developing my own film and such, but it was the expense and impatience that made digital so appealing. The instant feedback helps one grow faster too.
    I've just been taking slides with that medium format camera - over the last few years and mostly to get good quality photos of certain buildings in Turkey that might not be around in their current state for long. I haven't even put them in mounts yet - I only got a medium-format slide projector last month and then I went and blew the thing's voltage regulator chip by using a remote control from another bit of equipment that took too much voltage (but I managed to replace the damaged chip - I'm amazed my amateurish soldering worked)
    Last edited by bell-the-cat; 09-14-2011, 02:50 PM.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
      I've just been taking slides with that medium format camera - over the last few years and mostly to get good quality photos of certain buildings in Turkey that might not be around in their current state for long. I haven't even put them in mounts yet - I only got a medium-format slide projector last month and then I went and blew the thing's voltage regulator chip by using a remote control from another bit of equipment that took too much voltage (but I managed to replace the damaged chip - I'm amazed my amateurish soldering worked)
      Hey, whatever works! Apparently your soldering ability was adequate.
      You can scan those slides right? I would love to see some photos.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I have an 8MP rebel XTi. It gets the job done. I almost never look at a picture and wish I had more resolution really. That's because I almost always just look at pictures on an LCD screen of some sort.

Having said that .. how come no one makes a tablet with HDMI or any sort of video input? It would be awesome to be able to look at the pics as you shoot them on something other than a dinky 3 or 2.5" LCD (without having to carry a laptop or some fancy shmancy wifi setup).
        this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
          Having said that .. how come no one makes a tablet with HDMI or any sort of video input? It would be awesome to be able to look at the pics as you shoot them on something other than a dinky 3 or 2.5" LCD (without having to carry a laptop or some fancy shmancy wifi setup).
          How come no one makes a multi-lens camera. Something like an insect's eye with numerous lenses pointing in different but overlapping directions. The image from each lens wouldbe recorded onto a single sensor, one after the other, and then assembled together automatically to make one big, high resolution image that would better even medium-format film cameras for resolution. Has such a thing ever been constructed even as a prototype?
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

You can scan those slides right? I would love to see some photos.

Don't have a slide scanner that can do medium format - they are too expensive (like $700 minimum, on ebay, and double that for a Nikon coolscan 8000, A 20-year old Minolta model sold for Ł425 last week - I stopped bidding at Ł200) even though for most models you can now only buy them used. Strange thing is, a few years ago you could buy one for Ł200, and there seemed to be a lot available - now they are rarely listed and always get high prices.

A new high-quality flatbed scanner that also does medium format slides would cost much less but I don't think flatbed scanners would match the quality of a proper slide scanner.
            Last edited by bell-the-cat; 09-15-2011, 03:11 PM.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Bell,
              You need to look into it and patent it!

Great idea!

Comment

I had a Olympus-Om-1N 15 macro lens, manual, and I loved it! It was in the mid 1980s. The best camera.

I had to sell it. Long story, don't ask.

I am not happy with the digital. I have an annoying Canon Power Shot SD 1200IS Digital Elph.
                I am technically challenged. I can't seem to figure out why it is now taking longer for the
                picture to be taken.

The photos of lately tend to be off color. I was told the camera, if used alot, this happens and
                it is time to ....

Comment

Full frame is another story. I messed up buying the d7000 over the d700. I won't make that mistake again. Fortunately, lenses will always be more important than the camera and when I buy lenses, I buy for fx/pro-quality and I buy something I won't be replacing. It's requiring more patience because what's left on my wishlist are all >$1000. I'm generally taking that approach with all gear. I'm buying things I won't need to upgrade (e.g. tripod) unless it's worn or broken.
                  I had a wonderful Minox camera-with tripod that one can make different lengths. I had to sell this...oh..it's another story...
                  Sure was fun!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                    The size of the sensor matters (that's why the camera beats the phone). Even if I had the money to spare I don't think I'd buy an eos7d (unless I needed its video functions). It only has an aps-c sensor, and you can get camera with a full-size sensor for the same money.

I think camera manufacturers are deliberately restricting their technology so they can continue to sell aps-c cameras and then make them and all their lenses obsolete in a decade or so when they move to selling only full-size sensors.
                    Reminds me of the manipulation of the LPs-old trusty vinyl records. Then the big companies put into the market
                    CDs...so now one has to buy CDs. Okay that is more money put out to get the music one likes. Especially if
                    one's trusty old faithful record player is not so faithful anymore.

Now I hear there is a conversion to a smaller medium product coming onto the market which will
                    make the CDs obsolete and you guessed it-the big corporations will phase those out or make
                    them expensive. So the consumer has to buy all those favorite musicians and the music
                    again.

I further noticed that those classical music pieces and other music I so love-they are not always
                    produced on CDs. That is another challenge. (Any ideas everyone?)

The present popularity of iphone, BBY, Droids, with their digital cameras, some with or without flash,
                    some with small resolution, others with big numbers-these photos consumers are taking now are
                    not good resolution. When their children grow up, they will realize they do not have any real
                    good photos. I was told then the consumer will want to return to the camera again.

I also heard that the photos produced by digital and on the paper for print- will fade faster
                    than the traditional photographs taken with the manual cameras.

I have also noticed how good a photo looks in my mobile phone. When developed into
                    a photo-4x6 it looks horrible!

Hmmmmmmm. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Christina View Post
                      Bell,
                      You need to look into it and patent it!

Great idea!
                      Ahh, but you can't really patent raw thoughts or ideas, only products or processes.

That science-fiction writer who used to go around saying he "invented" communications satelites didn't really invent them - he was just the first person to think about their possibility and their possible functions. The people who created the technology to make those thoughts into a reality were the real inventors.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X