Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Trip to Armenia (including pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trip to Armenia (including pictures)

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    .... a list of which mafiosi/oligarch/criminal/politician owns which hotels / restaurants / bus companies / supermarkets / etc., would be an essential thing for any concientious visitor to Armenia to have.
    Can we have the list which you presumably already have.

It will be very useful for as you refer "any conscientious visitor to Armenia".
    Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
    Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
    Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
      Can we have the list which you presumably already have.

It will be very useful for as you refer "any conscientious visitor to Armenia".
      I am making a start here http://forum.hyeclub.com/showthread....hat-in-Armenia and will welcome contributions of information.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
        @Bell, can you for once stop spilling you negativity in each and every thread?
        If bell is right about the architecture why should this be negative?

Comment

Originally posted by lampron View Post
          If bell is right about the architecture why should this be negative?
          I agree.

Comment

Aww, karotel em!

Gentlemen (Federate, Mos)--thank you for sharing your experiences; I, of the homesick variety, really enjoy your posts ... And please, post more pics if at all possible--I miss the soul of Armenia~.

I'll try to frame this so we stay within the scope of this thread, but I'm really interested in the following...

1. What's your perception of the 25-35 age bracket vis-a-vis their attitudes toward Armenians in the Diaspora, esp. those who have emigrated from Armenia (I realize this is a broad question )

2. What conditions (if any) are present for those of us considering repatriation? --i.e. ease/difficulty of not only finding work but succeeding professionally--(talking about the educated professional crowd), reintegrating into the social fabric, etc....

3. Do you personally believe (having visited recently and I believe visiting frequently) that the soul of our people, our cultural integrity, and other such factors persist in sufficient levels to enable Armenia itself as a political entity (not just Armenians as a cultural whole) to thrive and grow in both the near and distant future?

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
              That is not old Gyumri architecture - it is a modern building owned by one of Gyumri's mafiosi. Traditional Gyumri Russian-period buildings would not be so garish or so badly designed.
              I don't doubt it is owned by the mafiosi. While I was taking a picture of an old brewing factory in Gyumri, Dodi Gago thugs were outside with their 100% tinted 4x4s, all looking "thuggish" and were giving me looks. Residents later told me Gago owns the building and it is now an HQ of the Prosperous Armenia political party. Here's the pic I am talking about and more pictures of Gyumri.

Cheers :-) Avandakan Gyumru garejur

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyLazarus View Post
                Aww, karotel em!

Gentlemen (Federate, Mos)--thank you for sharing your experiences; I, of the homesick variety, really enjoy your posts ... And please, post more pics if at all possible--I miss the soul of Armenia~.

I'll try to frame this so we stay within the scope of this thread, but I'm really interested in the following...

1. What's your perception of the 25-35 age bracket vis-a-vis their attitudes toward Armenians in the Diaspora, esp. those who have emigrated from Armenia (I realize this is a broad question )
                Their perception of us, which is a perception regardless of age, is that we live like kings in the Diaspora. We are the lucky ones who "escaped". They all seem to have their own stories of how they were rejected by X or Y embassy. They think that the financial crisis affecting the entire world presently really only happened in Armenia. They are always pleasantly surprised that me and my friends knew how to speak, read and write Armenian. We were often praised for being fluent in our own language. Looks like they have low expectations of Diasporans remaining Armenian. They think everyone outside Armenia has been almost completely assimilated, especially if you're born outside. Majority of people were really pleased to see that we come back to Armenia and that we have not forgotten our roots nor our culture. Not sure if i'm answering your question exactly so let me know if I deviated from it or if you want anything more specific )

2. What conditions (if any) are present for those of us considering repatriation? --i.e. ease/difficulty of not only finding work but succeeding professionally--(talking about the educated professional crowd), reintegrating into the social fabric, etc....
                The common consensus in Armenia is that times are much better than before but still lower than normal and that things are not changing fast enough (I disagree here). The locals there for the most part told me that it would be hard to move here because of a lack of jobs/opportunities but at the same time they would tell me to come and build Armenia and invest here. From my own perception of things, I don't think it is impossible to move there. I ran into a number of repatriates who have opened businesses there and have created jobs. As long as you have capital, I think moving there is not a problem. But from my interactions, you need to also know the "right people" or not rub the wrong shoulders. Reintegration is the least of your worries if you are Armenian. They have most things a European city would have in Yerevan anyway.

3. Do you personally believe (having visited recently and I believe visiting frequently) that the soul of our people, our cultural integrity, and other such factors persist in sufficient levels to enable Armenia itself as a political entity (not just Armenians as a cultural whole) to thrive and grow in both the near and distant future?
                Armenians have an inherent distrust of authority and government that seems to be deeply embedded in their heads. They are politically immature. The oligarchs work like a clan and only help out one another which fuels this kind of mentality, not to mention the Soviet culture of corruption that existed for decades. For example, the smallest of things such as wearing a seat belt or car insurance for them is a new way for the authorities to screw the common population.

But there is major progress, especially considering our conditions with our blockaded borders, the earthquake, the war etc. Armenians have come a long way and there are major changes that are worth noting such as decrease in police corruption, the roads being safer to drive on, the increase in tourism etc. So yes, as the nor serund gets more educated and the old guard dies out, the factors are there for Armenia to thrive in the near future but people simply lack patience.
                Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Well, I can't say there is a general attitude among all those people towards diasporan Armenians. Let me remind you that almost every person in Armenia has a relative living in the diaspora, so it's normal to them to see and interact with diaspora Armenians. One perception that is sometimes skewed is that everything outside of Armenia is much better, which isn't really true. Every country has its difficulties and no place will give you automatic success. But in the end of the day, at least from my experiences, going back to Armenia is going back home to my family and relatives, going out of Armenia to any other country is going to a foreign land comparably.

Well most important thing is work, and second to that is having some sort of family/acquaintances, having such connections will make such a move so much easier. Also, it will naturally be more difficult for a Western Armenian to repatriate than a hayastanci, so naturally you have to adjust and make that shift.

Armenia is getting better, no doubt, the youth are more optimistic and things are going towards the positive side. There are flaws and problems of course, but it all takes time. The work by the current government in united the diaspora and Armenia is a very good move, as they both need each other for the success of Armenian nation.
                  Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                  ---
                  "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                    The common consensus in Armenia is that times are much better than before but still lower than normal and that things are not changing fast enough (I disagree here). The locals there for the most part told me that it would be hard to move here because of a lack of jobs/opportunities but at the same time they would tell me to come and build Armenia and invest here. From my own perception of things, I don't think it is impossible to move there. I ran into a number of repatriates who have opened businesses there and have created jobs. As long as you have capital, I think moving there is not a problem. But from my interactions, you need to also know the "right people" or not rub the wrong shoulders. Reintegration is the least of your worries if you are Armenian. They have most things a European city would have in Yerevan anyway.
                    I have a question along the same lines Federate. My friend, who I would say is a pessimist, just returned to the US after spending nearly three months in and around armenia. He answered my question regarding repatriates by saying there is not much hope of moving there. He said things arent really improving. He said having an american college degree means nothing. Your only hope of finding work is having connections or bribing.

So this leads me to my two part question

In all honesty, would it be reasonable to move to Armenia in 3-4 years? Would someone like me, I will be about 24 with a master's degree in engineering, without any close relatives, have a reasonable chance to make an acceptable living in Armenia?

Furthermore, you mentioned having capital, do you think I would be better suited to wait a couple of years, save some money, then make the move or make it immediately after graduating?

p.s. if everything goes as planned, I will be visiting Armenia for about 3 months in this upcoming summer.

Comment

Fed, you really travelled everywhere in Armenia, those are nice pictures Would you recommend a packpacking or biking trip that encompasses all those places you visited? Are the roads wide (and safe) enough for that?

Comment

Working...
                      X