Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Trip to Armenia (including pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to Armenia (including pictures)

I was in Armenia for almost the entire month of August and thought i'd share my experiences or pretty much anything notable that comes to mind. Some things might be obvious to regular visitors while others not. I stayed in Yerevan for most of the time with a few days in Stepanakert as well. The Pan-Armenian games (Համահայկական խաղեր) were also taking place during the month. I'm open for questions too!

Yerevan

Bustling city with rapid growth on every street. Construction still strong although some places look like they have been abandoned while they were being built (due to financial crisis). Northern Avenue looks like an empty shell to me and it definitely needs plenty of more trees. It is crowded there though til the early hours but the shops at Northern Avenue are ridiculously expensive for a local. The cafes at Opera are very unique and cozy. Service in terms of waiters/waitresses has improved greatly. Prices for food are very affordable for someone from Europe/North America and modest for a local. The food is the best part of Armenia!! Everything tastes amazing :-D. We wined and dined like there was no tomorrow.

There was a heavy unarmed police presence in the city and no incidents. Police corruption that Armenians are used to seems to have almost vanished. We did not get stopped a single time to be asked for a bribe and others remarked the same thing. Yerevan people are friendly to approach though if you dress up like a tourist, be ready to get stared at :-) The women in Yerevan are almost all beautiful and overdressed for the street but who's complaining . Nightlife is extremely active and some supermarkets such as SAS or STAR (both rumoured to belong to the President's family) are open 24/7 for a late night binge. All taxi drivers do is complain so get ready to be quizzed about how life is in the country you are visiting from. But anyway, i've never met a cab driver that liked his job anywhere in the world.

Pan-Armenian games opening was stunning. Exceeded my expectations by far. Tons of fireworks, all the major stars sang, dance groups, the athletes' entrances. It was great that the entrance was free as the entire stadium was full. Record 120+ cities participated with Yerevan taking the most medals, as usual. The closing was good too but would have been better with a little less Armenchik and a little more Ruben Sasuntsi.

General

People aren't in the best financial shape in the villages, as expected. But the villagers have high spirits and are very welcoming and don't expect anything in return. Lots of nostalgia for Soviet times. I saw a lot of abandoned factories that saddened me. The common saying is: "At least everyone had a job, a home and bread on the table during Soviet times." People in Armenia really think the entire country is owned by Serzh Sargsyan and his friends, often times without any evidence. They tell me opening a business is hard because Sashik Sargsyan (brother of President) will take an amount away from you the moment you start becoming successful. Support for LTP is very low, probably even lower than SS (at least from what I saw). Dodi Gago is universally hated everywhere except outside of his hometown of Arinj and Tsaghkadzor so i'm really not sure how this guy has the second biggest party in Armenia.

Gyumri was really disheartening to see. The people don't smile at all, it is like the earthquake has zapped all their spirits even 20 years after. Lots of recovery though and glad to see Old Gyumri is still standing. Old Gyumri's architecture is my favourite in the country! Gyumretsis only receiving apartments now but at least they have homes now instead of tin cans.

Artsakh is magnificent. There is construction everywhere in Stepanakert and almost no traces of war in the capital. There is a lot of reconstruction going on in Shushi as well. Artsakhtsis will stare you down because they know you're not from there :-P They are really proud people and also very friendly like most Armenians. Soldiers are everywhere in Artsakh and make sure you thank them to help the kids with their morale :-) Tigranakert is definitely worth seeing. They have a museum there with ornaments they excavated from the nearby ruins with a very friendly guide who invited us for coffee. If there is a site to see in Artsakh, it is definitely Gandzasar. Make sure you stop by at Vank village right before the monastery too. The roads have been completely asphalted thanks to Levon Hayrapetyan.

Armenia, especially Yerevan, was FILLED with tourists due to the Pan-Armenian games and the new Iranian market. Tons of Iranian tourists who come to Armenia for "freedom" either as a family (usually you see headscarves) and just the party types who want alcohol fueled nights. They were well-behaved and nothing but good can come out of Iranian tourism in Armenia. There are a lot of Italians in Armenia as well. At almost every monastery outside Yerevan, we ran into ethnic Italians who come to Armenia to see our churches. Call it religious tourism :-P Oh, and I saw Iranians visiting out monasteries too. It was a funny sight to see hijabbed women leave Sevanavank. Even saw some Japanese there )))

Kinda tired of typing and i'm still jet-lagged so if anything else comes to mind i'll post more. For now, here's some pics:
    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Re: Trip to Armenia (including pictures)

Hey aper, welcome back! I was in Armenia for almost whole summer came back recently, and yes there were so many foreigners because of the pan-armenian games, walking through the streets in Kentron, I could hear whatever language you say. First time Yerevan was in such an international flavour that I have seen. Though I don't participate in such things, I did hear Serzh's speech at the closing ceremony in Opera. Iranian tourists seemed to be behaving for the most part, sometimes the hooligans who come to party, do misbehave, but I guess it's natural. It's nice to see Iranian families coming, esp. it's nice when Iranians opt to visit the cultural sites, churches, museums, as the party animals go straight to the night clubs and bars.

Talking about Artsakh this is great reportage dedicated to the 20th anniversary of Karabakh's independence:
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
      Old Gyumri's architecture is my favourite in the country!
      That is not old Gyumri architecture - it is a modern building owned by one of Gyumri's mafiosi. Traditional Gyumri Russian-period buildings would not be so garish or so badly designed.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

STFU Bells.
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
          STFU Bells.
          Hahahaha ! NICE ONE Eddo.

Nice post Fed, though I would say that I can't remember a time in the last 20 years without Iranian tourists, and believe it or not, the police corruption was never that bad in my opinion. Really glad you had a safe and fulfilling trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
            STFU Bells.
            If you actually think I am going to be silenced then your tiny brain is even smaller than I suspected. However, I do undestand why you and your sort don't like the residences of the bigger criminals revealed.

BTW, a list of which mafiosi/oligarch/criminal/politician owns which hotels / restaurants / bus companies / supermarkets / etc., would be an essential thing for any concientious visitor to Armenia to have.
            Last edited by bell-the-cat; 09-04-2011, 08:20 AM.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by hrai View Post
              believe it or not, the police corruption was never that bad in my opinion.
              Armenia's Traffic Police Chief Arrested for Embezzlement
              August 30, 2011
              The RA Special Investigative Service says that Colonel Margar Ohanyan, Chief of Armenia's Traffic Police, was arrested yesterday on the suspicion of abusing his office and embezzlement. http://hetq.am/eng/news/3938/

"Guess he fell behind in his payments to the guys above him..." is one reader's comment.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Nice post Fed, more photos?

Comment

@Bell, can you for once stop spilling you negativity in each and every thread?
                  Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                  ---
                  "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                    @Bell, can you for once stop spilling you negativity in each and every thread?
                    If you actually think I am going to be silenced then...
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                    X