Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Originally posted by hrai View Post
    Bear with me while I dig out some books.
    Sure, thanks!

-----------------

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bFJ9Eh7tnE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by hrai View Post
      Studies are showing that much of the Old Testament is probably based on fact.

Faith in itself is a powerful force, the problem being that this same faith has been used by governments, from ancient times, as a means of controlling the population through fear of eternal damnation etc.

I attend church but with open eyes, I consider the Apostolic Church as the mortar which holds the building blocks of the nation together. Individual bricks can be strong and build a "dry-stone" wall but a bonding agent is surely preferable. The importance is to use the church for it's positive impact.
      If you had excepted faith as just that faith outside logic and science then sure even some people still have faith that Santa exist however once you say "scientific facts then it gets all muddy.
      People did not start from Adam and Eve! Noah flood is just another story retold from Assyrian folklore.There are no real evidence Moses even existed.No evidence xxxs migrated from Egypt.
      It goes on and on.There is nothing logical nor scientific about any of these.
      Religion is just that belief system.

Post those facts please

Comment

Originally posted by Armat View Post
        People did not start from Adam and Eve! Noah flood is just another story retold from Assyrian folklore.
        Does the Orthodox Church say there was?

There are no real evidence Moses even existed.No evidence xxxs migrated from Egypt.
        The existence of the Torah is huge evidence that Moses existed.

Let's play 'devil's advocate' (no pun intended lol) and say that xxxs did not in fact migrate out of Egypt. Is that what they Orthodox Church has believed to be the purpose of the Moses story? i.e. just to establish some street cred regarding the Bible. If not, then why not?

It goes on and on.There is nothing logical nor scientific about any of these.
        Religion is just that belief system.
        Is science the be all/end all of knowledge? Can morality be arrived at through experimentation and observation? Note that morality is not the same thing as human nature. Even if you explain that sociologically humans tend to go against their human nature because of societal reasons, is that the be all, end all of all moral choices?

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
          Does the Orthodox Church say there was?

The existence of the Torah is huge evidence that Moses existed.

Let's play 'devil's advocate' (no pun intended lol) and say that xxxs did not in fact migrate out of Egypt. Is that what they Orthodox Church has believed to be the purpose of the Moses story? i.e. just to establish some street cred regarding the Bible. If not, then why not?

Is science the be all/end all of knowledge? Can morality be arrived at through experimentation and observation? Note that morality is not the same thing as human nature. Even if you explain that sociologically humans tend to go against their human nature because of societal reasons, is that the be all, end all of all moral choices?
          It is not about morality here if it was then you could have a point but this is about historical correctness. And the fact remains there is no proof that xxxs were ever in Egypt. Does that mean everything in the OT is fake? No, start a little bit before David and end a little bit behind the Persians. The rest you can read for guidance and what ever you want but don't use it for historical references.

Comment

Yes, faith. Is that so bad after all?
            Lol ... I have been pretty negative on "faith" and faith-based beliefs but I have to say an interview I saw on tv a few days ago started to change my mind. They were interviewing this group of people that got off the sinking Italian cruise ship into a life boat ... here is everyone panicking and going nuts ... these guys decided to huddle and pray.

First I thought what a bunch of morons ... but then I started thinking if the difference is between panicking and causing harm to others vs getting some peace through prayer (even as stupid as that whole act is), there is some value to it. Of course I personally would never find any peace from that kind of action because I certainly know better. But if you are dumb enough to think prayer can help you, then maybe it is not such a bad thing after all! It was all a sort of amazing revelation to me ... sort of like God was telling me all this hehehe.
            Last edited by Sip; 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM.
            this post = teh win.

Comment

But I have to add thought that my epiphany was rather short lived because then I started thinking about all the cases where people tend not to take useful actions and pray instead ... like people that choose to pray rather than seeking medical attention for their young child (or themselves) for example.
              Last edited by Sip; 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                But I have to add thought that my epiphany was rather short lived because then I started thinking about all the cases where people tend not to take useful actions and pray instead ... like people that choose to pray rather than seeking medical attention for their young child (or themselves) for example.
                Aaaaand ctl-a and delete...
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                  So using your logic...

I used to think Armenians were good because I saw that they are a very hospitable people, very intelligent and give much cultural value to the world, but then I saw that there are certain Armenians who are involved in Insurance fraud and the like, so therefore all Armenians and Armenianism is bad?

Comment

So using your logic...

I used to think Armenians were good because I saw that they are a very hospitable people, very intelligent and give much cultural value to the world, but then I saw that there are certain Armenians who are involved in Insurance fraud and the like, so therefore all Armenians and Armenianism is bad?
                    No, because he wasn't talking about people or some trait about the people (especially one that's not chosen like ethnicity).
                    He was talking about a specific behavior and if we stretch it, then belief about that behavior. He's not making a statement about all believers, all Christians, or even all Armenian Christians.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                      No, because he wasn't talking about people or some trait about the people (especially one that's not chosen like ethnicity).
                      He was talking about a specific behavior and if we stretch it, then belief about that behavior. He's not making a statement about all believers, all Christians, or even all Armenian Christians.
                      Some people use atomic theory to advance our knowledge about science and how the works, but some "stretch it" and use it to make atom bombs, therefore atom theory is bad.

It may be crude, but I fail to see how it is a bad comparison.

Comment

Working...
                      X