Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

An interesting question I think. I know there are a lot of members here who have said a lot is symbolic or allegory (Yeraz comes to mind)...

The article is written as a response to this question which was asked by another. It's linked in the first paragraph. This is the perspective of someone who couldn't reconcile belief with the untruths in the Bible (intentional allegory or not).

What are your thoughts? Christians, are there parts that aren't historical? If so, how do you reconcile this? Non-believers, did this play a role in why you do not believe? What untruth was it, if any, that you just couldn't reconcile?

How much of the Bible must be historical to believe in Christianity?

William Hamby

, Atlanta Examiner

October 6, 2011

On September 30, blogger Brian LePorte asked the question: "What events recorded in Scripture must be historical for you to affirm the truthfulness of Christianity?" (LINK) I thought it would be worth responding to this question from the other side: What level of a-historicity was enough to convince me that Christianity was wrong?

As a disclaimer, I need to make it clear that leaving Christianity did not make me an atheist. In fact, I went through several more phases of "spirituality," exploring other religions, science, and philosophy for several years before I rejected all religion. So, this is not an "argument for atheism." It is an argument against Christianity.

I was raised in a Biblical Literalist environment. The preachers told me that the word of God was inerrant, and that everything was literally true. Once I became sentient, it didn't take long to reject that claim. Between my step-father's infatuation with American Indian artifacts older than the earth itself, and my growing knowledge of geology, physics, and World History, it became clear that the Bible was far from a perfect document. My first rejection of Christianity was the rejection of literal Christianity.

I was raised in a Biblical Literalist environment. The preachers told me that the word of God was inerrant, and that everything was literally true. Once I became sentient, it didn't take long to reject that claim. Between my step-father's infatuation with American Indian artifacts older than the earth itself, and my growing knowledge of geology, physics, and World History, it became clear that the Bible was far from a perfect document. My first rejection of Christianity was the rejection of literal Christianity.

As my education progressed, and I discovered more and more inconsistencies with the Bible, I began to doubt even the metaphorical significance of some of the stories. It was particularly shocking for me to discover that there was likely no Moses, and in fact, no Egyptian captivity, and certainly no Exodus. To me, the Exodus had represented the first massive and powerful demonstration by Yahweh that the Israelites were the chosen people. This line of thought also raised significant questions about the historicity of Abraham, the father of what would become my religion. Once that dike had been breached, it wasn't long before I started wondering about Adam and Eve.
    Of course, science has completely debunked the idea of Adam and Eve. My first course in evolutionary biology confirmed that. This discovery was the first giant chunk taken out of my faith in Christianity. Quite simply, if there was no "first couple," whence comes original sin? If there was no original sin, why did Jesus die? (If there was no original sin, did Jesus die?!)

As you can see, the question of original sin leads directly to the question of Jesus' historicity, which has recently come to be doubted more and more by scholars at all levels. (LINK) (LINK) Today, I consider myself an agnostic on the subject of Jesus' historicity. That is, I do not know if there was a real person named Jesus (or something similar) on whom the Gospel was based. (Matthew, Luke, and John are derivatives of Mark.) I also do not know if there is enough evidence to answer the question one way or another, or ever will be.
    This last observation was the turning point for me. It was one thing to accept the Fathers of Israel as a-historical. It wasn't so difficult to accept that the line of Biblical Kings was also inaccurate to say the least. Doubting Genesis caused some problems. Doubting Jesus himself? That was the stake through the heart for Christianity.

Many Christians have given me the third degree over this rationality, so let me explain a little further. Please recognize that it was not solely the doubting of Jesus' historicity that led me away from Christianity. Had the rest of the Bible proved highly reliable, it would have been much easier for me to trust it with regard to Jesus, despite the paucity of empirical evidence for his existence. But when the rest of the Bible proved to be primarily legend, myth, and outright fabrication, it became impossible for me to take it as prima facie evidence for Jesus. I was forced to ask myself the painful question: If the Bible is inaccurate about damn near everything else it presented as historical, what possible justification can I come up with for believing the most important claim it makes?

The answer, of course, is this: In order to believe it, there needs to be some corroborating evidence that is staggeringly compelling. Such a momentous existence as that of the Lord and Savior of the Universe needs to be confirmed by more than rumors and decades-later sectarian chatter. Yet, this is all we see when we peer through the time portal. Paul saw a vision on a road. The anonymous author of the Gospel wrote a mythological story decades after the fact. Other anonymous authors copied it and sexed it up, Hollywood style. A couple of historians made brief passing mentions of people who might be Jesus.

In short, I came to distrust and ultimately disbelieve in any God who wasn't capable of at least leaving a couple of scraps in the ground to confirm his existence to scientists.
    This, then, is the story of how I left Christianity. Of course it was more complicated and involved than this account, but these are the major points that caused sea changes in my thoughts and beliefs. Ultimately, it was not just reading the entire Bible that convinced me it was a scam. It was comparing that reading against the historical and scientific evidence, and discovering that it was far from an accurate source for... well... anything at all.

Link to article
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    An interesting question I think. I know there are a lot of members here who have said a lot is symbolic or allegory (Yeraz comes to mind)...

The article is written as a response to this question which was asked by another. It's linked in the first paragraph. This is the perspective of someone who couldn't reconcile belief with the untruths in the Bible (intentional allegory or not).

What are your thoughts? Christians, are there parts that aren't historical? If so, how do you reconcile this? Non-believers, did this play a role in why you do not believe? What untruth was it, if any, that you just couldn't reconcile?

Link to article
    Its based on faith therefore its illogical.
    We carry faith gen within us.Its basic fear of death and faith gives people possibility of immortality.If its not Jesus its someone or something else.

Comment

For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard. And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard. And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace, And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way. Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise. And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle? They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive. So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first. And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny. But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny. And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house, Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day. But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny? Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee. Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good? So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.
      — Matthew 20:1–16
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

How much of the Bible must be historical to believe?

This is such a loaded question on so many levels, and within it are many underlying presumptions and ideas that do not necessarily reflect reality. I will try to take what I think is the position of the Armenian Church and all Orthodox Churches, since the beginning of Christianity.

Basics:

The Bible is not one "book", but a compendious volume that encompasses many different types of works from many different authors directed towards specific audiences at specific time periods. It is more appropriate to think of the Bible as more of an encyclopedia than a book, to be exact. For example, you cannot read Proverbs in the same way that you would read the Gospels; the former is wisdom literature of the 800's BC while the latter is evangelical literature of the early 1st century AD. The mistake that many in the West make (especially mainline Protestants who tend to be the most vocal, or at least get the most attention, in American culture), is that it takes all of these books at face value and does not critique them the way they should or were meant to be, as can be seen from ancient times (200's AD forward).

So, given the fact that there are so many different types of literature within the Bible, by more than likely 100+ different authors, how is it that we can make sense of it all. How does the Orthodox Church integrate this into her life as Church, and how does it explain its beliefs to those outside the church?

The answers is: through study, exegesis and commentary of the Holy Fathers.

One of the main problems with Protestant Christianity* - and in my humble opinion that which keeps people away from the Faith - is that every individual member is allowed his or her own interpretation, and they are all equally correct. The Protestant can just say, well the Holy Spirit revealed to me that this piece of Scripture really means this or that. This is why you see more than 30k + denominations in America alone today; anyone who has a theological disagreement just makes their own church, instead of trying to resolve it with church leaders. This is also why you see ridiculously anti-Christian churches such as Westboro Baptist which uses Scripture for its own wicked political purposes. Most assuredly, you have all heard the famous quote of William Shakespeare in his masterpiece, The Merchant of Venice:

Even the devil can site scripture for his own purpose!
        An evil soul producing holy witness is like
        a villain with a smiling cheek.

This is also very evident in the Gospels, in which Satan quotes Scripture to tempt Christ.

The Holy Fathers: Who are they, and why should I care?

This is where the Holy Fathers come in. The Holy Fathers (and Mothers) of the Church are those people who have been recognized as leading lives so holy and virtuous as to have a certain type of 'authority' within the church of spiritual matters. Since their beliefs are also Orthodox, they are considered to be chief among those whom we should trust in terms of doctrine and Scriptural interpretation. These are not just random people who picked up a pen and decided to write down their thoughts about Christianity, rather they 'put their money where their mouth is', most dying horrible deaths for their defense of Christianity against those who would like to see it destroyed. Some of the Holy Fathers that the Armenian Church recognizes and who have extent works are St. Gregory of Nyssa, St. Anthony of the Desert, St. Athanasius the Great, St. Gregory the Theologian, St. John Chrysostom, St. Cyril of Jerusalem, St. Gregory Nazianzus, St. Cyril of Alexandria, St. Gregory of Narek, St. John of Lambron, St. Gregory of Tatev, just to name a few.

These Fathers lived anywhere from 200-500AD, with the exception of the last three who came later at around 800-1400AD. It is important to understand that the magnitude of work and the holiness of life that these men (and women) lived was so great, that the Church (at this time, it was one Church) recognized them as having authority - i.e. when they speak you should listen. Although those who are not familiar with the history of Christianity may not know most or even any of these names, people like St. John Chrysostom were basically the most educated scholars of their time. Chrysostom himself should really be compared to the stature of modern day academicians such as Noam Chomsky, Richard Dawkins, etc. (although in fame only, not in belief!); you could even go so far as to say that they were the day's celebrities (although today that carries a lot of baggage as a term, so I use it catiously). Chrysostom himself studied at some of the best Lycees of the Greek world, studying science, geometry, music, literature, history and above all, rhetoric - he asserts that all of these subjects should be implemented by Christian theologians, in order to better inform ourselves of the world around us. It is no wonder why they are so greatly admired by the Church.

What do the Fathers have to say about the historicity of the Bible?

The Fathers are not your modern day Christians, who rely on the doctrine of sola scriptura** to define their beliefs. Rather, they know that Genesis was never intended to be a history book, and that it wasn't even important to the Faith as a whole. From the earliest times, Genesis was regarded as a book explaining God's relationship to man (See St. Augustine's exegesis on Genesis). Genesis was never understood to be literally 100% true down to the last detail, as should be apparent to anyone who reads the first two chapters (two Creation stories)! The Holy Fathers recognized that the Pentateuch was oral tradition that was at one point written down by xxxs nearly 3500 years ago, so it should not be read in the same fashion as say the Pauline Epistles.

In conclusion, the Orthodox Church (and the Church from the beginning) has never worried about whether certain facts do not 'add up'. As Fr. Thomas Hopko always says, 'the Bible is not a Koran'. The Church does not care that there is a difference in accounts between the Synoptic Gospels and the Johannine Gospel. These "trifles" (as Chrysostom called them), have absolutely nothing to do with the validation or refutation of Christ, His Truth, and His Church. The Church is validated by the very fact of its existence. This is something that I can write about later to those that are interested, but now is perhaps not the time nor place for it.

I encourage everyone to examine these ideas with an open mind and open heart. If you want to believe that it is not true, that is up to; I am only expressing my interpretation of what the Armenian Church believes at the core. Do not come to the Armenian Church with an American Christian disposition/prejudices, you are doing yourself a disservice and are in fact being highly un-academic. There is a wealth of knowledge out there if you are just willing to tap into it.

If you want to believe that God exists, but rationally cannot bring yourself to believe, I encourage you to in a sense "pray" for guidance. Pray "to whom it may concern" and ask them to show you if they are real or not - if you keep your heart and mind open, you might be surprised at what you find.

I want to end with a prayer.

Իմաստութիւն Հօր Յիսուս, տո'ւր մեզ իմաստութիւն,
        զբարիս խորհել եւ խօսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ:
        Եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց, փրկեա' զմեզ, ամէն:

Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom,
        to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times.
        And save us from evil thoughts, words and deeds, amen.

May you all be blessed on your spiritual walks.

Additional Information: I encourage all of those who are interested in this topic (believing and non-believing alike) to listen to the following podcast by world-renowned Biblical and Patristics scholar Dr. Constantinou. This lecture is fully in line with what the Orthodox Church beleives. It might prove to be very enlightening, regardless of what you believe at the end of it:

Introduction to the Bible, Lesson 2: Inspiration and Inerrancy

Another interesting interview is that between Dr. Constantinou and Fr. Vahan Hovhanessian at the Society of Biblical Literature in 2010, here Father explains the position of the Armenian Church:

Society of Biblical Literature: Part 1 (with Fr. Vahan Hovhanessian)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*I use Protestant Christianity as an example, only because it is the most prevalent and widespread theological system in America today. Most of what the 'un-churched' think Christianity believes is influenced by this form of Christianity.

**Sola Scriptura is a new theological doctrine accepted by most mainline Protestant denominations that the Holy Bible (sans what they call the "Apocrypha" and what the Armenian Church accepts as Scripture) is directly divinely inspired, free from human error. This creates many theological problems which the traditional churches (Catholic/Orthodox) do not have.
        Last edited by yerazhishda; 01-30-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

The beauty of the Bible is that none of it has to be based in history for Christianity to be valid. After all, it comes from faith ... not facts.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
            The beauty of the Bible is that none of it has to be based in history for Christianity to be valid. After all, it comes from faith ... not facts.
            Yes, faith. Is that so bad after all?

Comment

One can never have enough faith....
              B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Armat View Post
                Its based on faith therefore its illogical.
                We carry faith gen within us.Its basic fear of death and faith gives people possibility of immortality.If its not Jesus its someone or something else.
                Studies are showing that much of the Old Testament is probably based on fact.

Faith in itself is a powerful force, the problem being that this same faith has been used by governments, from ancient times, as a means of controlling the population through fear of eternal damnation etc.

I attend church but with open eyes, I consider the Apostolic Church as the mortar which holds the building blocks of the nation together. Individual bricks can be strong and build a "dry-stone" wall but a bonding agent is surely preferable. The importance is to use the church for it's positive impact.

Comment

Originally posted by hrai View Post
                  Studies are showing that much of the Old Testament is probably based on fact.
                  I'm not aware of such studies. Can you share some, please?
                  [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                  -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    I'm not aware of such studies. Can you share some, please?
                    Bear with me while I dig out some books.

Comment

Working...
                    X