Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hello and Parev (getting in touch with my roots, and not with hair dye)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello and Parev (getting in touch with my roots, and not with hair dye)

Originally posted by Hyegirl View Post
    Perhaps I should clarify this line, "I am looking to learn more about being Armenian instead of just American." I have been studying Armenian culture, history, etc. as I was able for the last several years as an interest, which yes, may several years ago have had some influence in establishing more of who I am as an identity (and there are certain things about family that become more important to continue for the future when you realize how close you care to losing them from illness), but something that is genuinely of interest to me, which is why I keep coming back to it as an interest over the years (and this actually helps me understand my mom and her family more) and actually had some influence on the book I am finishing research for on ethnicity, race, and the ideas we have about people based on it.

BTW, as for wanting to be exotic, the only other person I know in CA who celebrated Santa Lucia and whom I am not related to is part of a xxxish cultural group I have been affiliated with in recently years, so yeah, I am already living a pretty WASP life... I've learned that exotic is in the eyes of the beholder. Also, culture, ethnic and otherwise, does not define all of who I am. If you need to put me in a box, go right ahead. I am who I am regardless of what strangers think. (Unless of course you're are paying or feeding me. jk.)

You do however seem to have some very strong opinions about what it is to be Armenian. Perhaps you could offer some insights on what it means to be raised Armenian to my book as I eventually develop the Armenian chapter? Are you by any chance a resident of the US?
    I don't thin he is, he lives in Armenia
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
      I learned enough from your few posts. It's pretty obvious your situation.
      And I'm sure she's learned enough about you from your 3000 posts. Though, again, reading just a few makes your outlook pretty obvious - and obviously not pretty.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Hyegirl View Post
        I'm sorry I wasn't raised Armenian enough for you. I will just give up on caring about it and walk away.
        That is actually is what Mos wants. Mos is what I call a "Superior Armenian". "Superior Armenians" feel they have a right to define what is and what isn't Armenian, look down their substantial noses at the rest of the world, and think of themselves as paragons of perfect Armenian-ness. In reality, they are probably the greatest threat to Armenia. All they do is divide and alienate.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
          That is actually is what Mos wants. Mos is what I call a "Superior Armenian". "Superior Armenians" feel they have a right to define what is and what isn't Armenian, look down their substantial noses at the rest of the world, and think of themselves as paragons of perfect Armenian-ness. In reality, they are probably the greatest threat to Armenia. All they do is divide and alienate.
          I've never portrayed myself as a "Superior Armenian" and its ridiculous to say so. My definition of one's identity is pretty straight-forward and has nothing to do with looking down on anyone. It's a pretty universal definition I must say. Calling me the greatest threat to Armenia just shows your real agenda here.
          Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
          ---
          "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Hyegirl: "I am looking to learn more about being Armenian instead of just American".
            You: "It's too late I'm afraid. If you haven't grown up as Armenian there's little you can do".
            Hyegirl: "I'm sorry I wasn't raised Armenian enough for you. I will just give up on caring about it and walk away."
            You: "Upbringing and mindset is much more important than blood, because you will very often see pure Armenians who are the farthest thing from Armenian."
            Hyegirl: "MOS, maybe you should give me some benefit of the doubt and get to know me from more than a couple of posts before you judge me and my motives/perceptions."
            You: "I learned enough from your few posts."

Do you still deny that all you do is divide and alienate? And that you don't act like a self-styled "Superior Armenian" able to decide who is truly Armenian and who isn't?
            Last edited by bell-the-cat; 11-06-2011, 12:24 PM.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
              Hyegirl: "I am looking to learn more about being Armenian instead of just American".
              You: "It's too late I'm afraid. If you haven't grown up as Armenian there's little you can do".
              Hyegirl: "I'm sorry I wasn't raised Armenian enough for you. I will just give up on caring about it and walk away."
              You: "Upbringing and mindset is much more important than blood, because you will very often see pure Armenians who are the farthest thing from Armenian."
              Hyegirl: "MOS, maybe you should give me some benefit of the doubt and get to know me from more than a couple of posts before you judge me and my motives/perceptions."
              You: "I learned enough from your few posts."

Do you still deny that all you do is divide and alienate? And that you don't act like a self-styled "Superior Armenian" able to decide who is truly Armenian and who isn't?
              I never divided or alienated anyone. What I'm saying is based on a universal definition of identity. I can't wake up tomorrow and say all of a sudden that I am Chinese. Identity is a metaphysical concept that is attained through one's upbringing and what values and mindset that person grows up with. There's nothing wrong with this definition and it's a rather universal definition of identity.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---
              "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                All I'm saying is that because of your upbringing and development you will always stay American. Now the Armenian culture to you seems to be more an "exotic interest" at the moment and maybe an attempt to add something more to the bland American identity or an identity crisis - that's how it seems to me.
                Once people, emigrate they tend to assimilate and part of the problem with America is that it has no real culture or heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by retro View Post
                  Once people, emigrate they tend to assimilate and part of the problem with America is that it has no real culture or heritage.
                  Yes assimilation is a major problem and one of the biggest threats to our people, but assimilation is often the fault of the parents also. One doesn't have to assimilate and can be raised as a Armenian in a foreign land, especially if they grow up within a sizeable Armenian community. The key is raising the children with Armenian language, values, and culture over anything else.
                  Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                  ---

Comment

Mos jan: You must also understand that if one is as dedicated and passionate, like she seems to be, they can change their culture. If they dedicate themselves, they can evolve into an Armenian.
                    Remember that Monte Melkonian, our beloved hero, did not even know he was Armenian until he was 12, and did not speak the language until he was 20. He was much more American than Hyegirl seems to be. While culturally she might not be very Armenian, cultural Monte was absolutely 0 percent Armenian. Now I am not saying she has 1/100th of the heart or dedication that Monte had, but you should give her a chance. It's not like there is that many of us, that we can afford to lose people who want to contribute to our cause.
                    Last edited by Mher; 11-07-2011, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
                      Mos jan: You must also understand that if one is as dedicated and passionate, like she seems to be, they can change their culture. If they dedicate themselves, they can evolve into an Armenian.
                      Remember that Monte Melkonian, our beloved hero, did not even know he was Armenian until he was 12, and did not speak the language until he was 20. He was much more American than Armogirl seems to be. While culturally she might not be very Armenian, cultural Monte was absolutely 0 percent Armenian. Now I am not saying she has 1/100th of the heart or dedication that Monte had, but you should give her a chance. It's not like there is that many of us, that we can afford to lose people who want to contribute to our cause.
                      So I can become Chinese if I really want to? You may be able to become Armenian at a surface point, but you can't be Armenian as a Armenian who grew up Armenian. One cannot gain what a person gains through childhood and upbringing. That's a once in a lifetime chance. I may work very hard to become Chinese, but I will never be part of Chinese society like if I grew up as a Chinese. Monte is an interesting example, and even though a great patriot, he differed in many ways from his men in values and mindset on the battlefield. He was a unique soldier. Not saying that uniqueness was bad, but it just comes to show the natural divide that existed. I am not saying this girl shouldn't learn about Armenian culture and history, she should. But she should not fall into the illusion that one can become 'Armenian' overnight or any identity for that matter (except for identities such as American, Australian, etc). Identity is not forged like that. She will always stay American at her core (I believe she even said this) though she will just be acquainted with Armenian culture which is a good thing. You cannot get that Armenian core without growing up in an Armenian family as an Armenian. This is not an object, but a deeper metaphysical concept.
                      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                      ---

Comment

Working...
                      X