Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hello and Parev (getting in touch with my roots, and not with hair dye)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and Parev (getting in touch with my roots, and not with hair dye)

Hi

I am from a mixed fam and didn't grow up as Armenian as I would have liked (after all, it is a pretty cool heritage, you gotta admit, with our history and stuff) and never had the chance to be around a large, loud Armenian community until almost the end of college (and still don't live near one). I am looking to learn more about being Armenian instead of just American.

Ok, you can all congratulate my on my awesome heritage or just serve lokum instead. Your choice, but I'm leaning toward the food myself.

Tstesutyn (phrase from website, don't hate if I misspell. I can't read the alphabet yet.)
    Last edited by Hyegirl; 11-14-2011, 11:54 PM.

Re: Hello and Parev (getting in touch with my roots, and not with hair dye)

Welcome Hyegirl, where are you from?
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
      Welcome Hyegirl, where are you from?
      Thank you. I hale from the depth of suburbia of the US.
      Last edited by Hyegirl; 11-04-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

It's too late I'm afraid. If you haven't grown up as Armenian there's little you can do. Being Armenian is a metaphysical thing, at your situation you may be just Armenian at the very surface at best. Because in the end of day you will remain at core, American.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

For Mos if you don't live in Armenia or raised there you're not Armenian
          (according to Mos)
          Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
            It's too late I'm afraid. If you haven't grown up as Armenian there's little you can do. Being Armenian is a metaphysical thing, at your situation you may be just Armenian at the very surface at best. Because in the end of day you will remain at core, American.
            I'm sorry I wasn't raised Armenian enough for you. I will just give up on caring about it and walk away. jk.

I know I am part. I will always be only part and die American at heart, but I will die proud of that part. Darn proud! I am going to learn some Armenian eventually even if I just teach myself, I have already been involved in Armenian American public affairs at times, I have been in the Armenian club at college for a time even if I didn't drive an hour out for late night parties, choose Yerevan before almost any other international vacation/volunteer option, will teach my future kids a little Armenian and to be proud of Armenia, it's history, it's people, and faith in our Lord (301 AD baby). What is is, and I accept that, but no one has the right to deny me the right to that part of my heritage, however in part it is, and which informs part of who I am, any more than the Turks had the right to deny my family's ability to live freely and in Armenia as Armenians. I let that go for too long (originally mostly because I get my coloring from the other parts of my family, and I didn't grow up around much of any Armenians I wasn't directly related to and thus didn't think I had the right to claim that as any part of my heritage), but however little my Armenian-ness may be, however meaningless it is to you, it is MINE, and one day, more so than today. I don't pretend to fit in, but neither do I pretend it doesn't matter.
            Last edited by Hyegirl; 11-05-2011, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
              For Mos if you don't live in Armenia or raised there you're not Armenian
              (according to Mos)
              That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying being raised in an Armenian household and environment with Armenian values.

Originally posted by Hyegirl View Post
              I'm sorry I wasn't raised Armenian enough for you. I will just give up on caring about it and walk away. jk.

I know I am part. I will always be only part and die American at heart, but I will die proud of that part. Darn proud! I am going to learn some Armenian eventually even if I just teach myself, I have already been involved in Armenian American public affairs at times, I have been in the Armenian club at college for a time even if I didn't drive an hour out for late night parties, choose Yerevan before almost any other international vacation/volunteer option, will teach my future kids a little Armenian and to be proud of Armenia, it's history, it's people, and faith in our Lord (301 AD baby). What is is, and I accept that, but no one has the right to deny me the right to that part of my heritage, however in part it is, and which informs part of who I am, any more than the Turks had the right to deny my family's ability to live freely and in Armenia as Armenians. I let that go for too long (originally mostly because I get my coloring from the other parts of my family, and I didn't grow up around much of any Armenians I wasn't directly related to and thus didn't think I had the right to claim that as any part of my heritage), but however little my Armenian-ness may be, however meaningless it is to you, it is MINE, and one day, more so than today. I don't pretend to fit in, but neither do I pretend it doesn't matter.
              It's good that you will put some effort in. All I am saying is that a person can't change identities overnight. An identity is a metaphysical concept that really is obtained through one's upbringing and the values and mindset the person obtains through that upbringing. This upbringing and mindset is much more important than blood, because you will very often see pure Armenians who are the farthest thing from Armenian. Identity in general has very little to do with blood, because those minuscule differences in genes affect very little the person as a whole. So I encourage to learn more about Armenia, Armenian history, culture, etc. All I'm saying is that because of your upbringing and development you will always stay American. Now the Armenian culture to you seems to be more an "exotic interest" at the moment and maybe an attempt to add something more to the bland American identity or an identity crisis - that's how it seems to me.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---
              "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

MOS, maybe you should give me some benefit of the doubt and get to know me from more than a couple of posts before you judge me and my motives/perceptions.
                Last edited by Hyegirl; 11-05-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyegirl View Post
                  MOS, maybe you should give me some benefit of the doubt and get to know me from more than a couple of posts before you judge me and my motives/perceptions.
                  I learned enough from your few posts. It's pretty obvious your situation.
                  Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                  ---

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                    I learned enough from your few posts. It's pretty obvious your situation.
                    Perhaps I should clarify this line, "I am looking to learn more about being Armenian instead of just American." I have been studying Armenian culture, history, etc. as I was able for the last several years as an interest, which yes, may several years ago have had some influence in establishing more of who I am as an identity (and there are certain things about family that become more important to continue for the future when you realize how close you care to losing them from illness), but something that is genuinely of interest to me, which is why I keep coming back to it as an interest over the years (and this actually helps me understand my mom and her family more) and actually had some influence on the book I am finishing research for on ethnicity, race, and the ideas we have about people based on it.

BTW, as for wanting to be exotic, the only other person I know in CA who celebrated Santa Lucia and whom I am not related to is part of a xxxish cultural group I have been affiliated with in recent years, so yeah, I am already living a pretty WASP life... I've learned that exotic is in the eyes of the beholder. Also, culture, ethnic and otherwise, does not define all of who I am. If you need to put me in a box, go right ahead. I am who I am regardless of what strangers think. (Unless of course you're are paying or feeding me. jk.)

You do however seem to have some very strong opinions about what it is to be Armenian. Perhaps you could offer some insights on what it means to be raised Armenian to my book as I eventually develop the Armenian chapter? Are you by any chance a resident of the US?
                    Last edited by Hyegirl; 11-06-2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X