Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Challenge to Atheists, Agnostics and those who want to believe but cannot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge to Atheists, Agnostics and those who want to believe but cannot

I posed this challenge in the "Biblical Literalism" thread, but I suppose I should start a new thread.

My challenge is short and simple. Read the Sermon on the Mount (that's Matthew Chapters 5-7). If you find that you cannot or don't want to read that much, simply read Chapter 5 or even just 5:1-12.

However, I want to add a few 'rules' so to say:
    1. Dispense of all biases towards the text, whether they be of atheist, Christian or another world-view.
    2. Read the text carefully. If you've read it before, try to notice words or phrases that you didn't notice before.
    3. Use a modern English translation (easily found online). NKJV and RSV are two extremely good ones. Do not read KJV as it is not easily understood by modern speakers of English.
    4. Post your thoughts, criticisms or other ideas after reading.

Maybe we can begin some sort of dialogue after a few people have posted.

-yeraz

Re: Challenge to Atheists, Agnostics and those who want to believe but cannot

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
    I posed this challenge in the "Biblical Literalism" thread, but I suppose I should start a new thread.

My challenge is short and simple. Read the Sermon on the Mount (that's Matthew Chapters 5-7). If you find that you cannot or don't want to read that much, simply read Chapter 5 or even just 5:1-12.

However, I want to add a few 'rules' so to say:
    1. Dispense of all biases towards the text, whether they be of atheist, Christian or another world-view.
    2. Read the text carefully. If you've read it before, try to notice words or phrases that you didn't notice before.
    3. Use a modern English translation (easily found online). NKJV and RSV are two extremely good ones. Do not read KJV as it is not easily understood by modern speakers of English.
    4. Post your thoughts, criticisms or other ideas after reading.

Maybe we can begin some sort of dialogue after a few people have posted.

-yeraz
    Eye for Eye
    38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
    Love for Enemies
    43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Sadly Armenian nation suffered greatly from these kinds of aphorisms.If God created everyone equally then one should defend,kill ,to protect
    from Turks, Mongols ,Romans etc.In short to be passive sheep is the biggest insult to God.
    Its basically suicidal doctrine.

Comment

Re: Challenge to Atheists, Agnostics and those who want to believe but cannot

“Ann Druyan suggests an experiment: Look back again at the pale blue dot [Earth seen from the far end of our solar system] of the preceding chapter. Take a good long look at it. Stare at the dot for any length of time and then try to convince yourself that God created the whole Universe for one of the 10 million or so species of life that inhabit that speck of dust. Now take it a step further: Imagine that everything was made just for a single shade of that species, or gender, or ethnic or religious subdivision. If this doesn’t strike you as unlikely, pick another dot. Imagine it to be inhabited by a different form of intelligent life. They, too, cherish the notion of a God who has created everything for their benefit. How seriously do you take their claim?”
      ― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
      X