Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Education in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education in Armenia

So my experience with the education in Armenia has not really been that substantial. Most of it is through things that I've read and not what I have experienced myself. However I have experienced one of the best educational system in the world: that of Belgium. When I was in high school I didn't really see the value of my education but today I'm so thankful for the education that I received.

When I compare Belgian and Armenian education we can see two big differences. We are disregarding the corruption right now, I will talk about it later on. So one of the biggest differences in my opinion is that in Armenia schools and teachers put emphasise on learning things by heart and not that much on creativity and thinking outside of the box. When I compare the first year of school in Armenia in Belgium there were huge differences. I was 7 years old but was already forced to learn many things by heart, I didn't know why I was doing that and what i got back from it. Before I went to school I knew how to read and write very well, thanks to the eduction I got at home. So I had to learn texts by heart for no apparent reason. If any one here is a teacher in Armenia can you please tell me why people had to learn things by heart? The problem is not that people had to learn something by heart but the amount that was needed to be known by heart.

Here in Belgium things were done differently, and in my opinion much better. The kids were treated as kids and the things we learned were "interesting" and really fun. Every day we were playing outside, I had more contact with my classmates than I did in the Armenian school. In Armenia I went to school like for 4 hours and here in Belgium it was much longer. It was something really fun and interesting. In Armenia I remember that every night I had to study for a couple of hours to get all of the homework done. And I was in the top 4 of pupils in my year, so it wasn't because I was slow or anything. Because I spent so much time studying I couldn't use the same time to be a kid and play around. And don't get me started about homework during the summer.

Education in Armenia needs to change and needs to changer very drastically and I believe Belgium can be a model for Armenia. Children need to be given more opportunity to stay kids and use their imagination more. The way classes are taught need to change as well. Right now a degree from Armenia is not worth the paper that its printed on. When the rich can just by a degree for their kids then tell me how much the degree is worth? Armenia needs to change the education system away from the soviet system to a school system that works.

Re: Education in Armenia

You should check out AYB school. It's new school that opened, very high quality education with great teachers, students need to take a test to get admitted, and if you don't have money for tuition you will be covered. It's not a "rich kids" school hence. The curriculum is very vast, includes all sorts of interesting subjects, foreign languages, and so forth. The campus is also very modern and nice.

This is the future for Armenian education in my view.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
      You should check out AYB school. It's new school that opened, very high quality education with great teachers, students need to take a test to get admitted, and if you don't have money for tuition you will be covered. It's not a "rich kids" school hence. The curriculum is very vast, includes all sorts of interesting subjects, foreign languages, and so forth. The campus is also very modern and nice.

This is the future for Armenian education in my view.
      This looks really cool and I agree we need more of this also in public education. We need to get a high level of education to as many people as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
        So my experience with the education in Armenia has not really been that substantial. Most of it is through things that I've read and not what I have experienced myself. However I have experienced one of the best educational system in the world: that of Belgium. When I was in high school I didn't really see the value of my education but today I'm so thankful for the education that I received.

When I compare Belgian and Armenian education we can see two big differences. We are disregarding the corruption right now, I will talk about it later on. So one of the biggest differences in my opinion is that in Armenia schools and teachers put emphasise on learning things by heart and not that much on creativity and thinking outside of the box. When I compare the first year of school in Armenia in Belgium there were huge differences. I was 7 years old but was already forced to learn many things by heart, I didn't know why I was doing that and what i got back from it. Before I went to school I knew how to read and write very well, thanks to the eduction I got at home. So I had to learn texts by heart for no apparent reason. If any one here is a teacher in Armenia can you please tell me why people had to learn things by heart? The problem is not that people had to learn something by heart but the amount that was needed to be known by heart.

Here in Belgium things were done differently, and in my opinion much better. The kids were treated as kids and the things we learned were "interesting" and really fun. Every day we were playing outside, I had more contact with my classmates than I did in the Armenian school. In Armenia I went to school like for 4 hours and here in Belgium it was much longer. It was something really fun and interesting. In Armenia I remember that every night I had to study for a couple of hours to get all of the homework done. And I was in the top 4 of pupils in my year, so it wasn't because I was slow or anything. Because I spent so much time studying I couldn't use the same time to be a kid and play around. And don't get me started about homework during the summer.

Education in Armenia needs to change and needs to changer very drastically and I believe Belgium can be a model for Armenia. Children need to be given more opportunity to stay kids and use their imagination more. The way classes are taught need to change as well. Right now a degree from Armenia is not worth the paper that its printed on. When the rich can just by a degree for their kids then tell me how much the degree is worth? Armenia needs to change the education system away from the soviet system to a school system that works.

The system you described in Belgium is almost identical with that in the US. Yet, the US has one of the lowest if not the lowest score among OECD countries when it comes to education and graduation rates. Doing fun things in class are important, no doubt, but the rigour that Armenian schools still have is not a bad thing, it just needs to be employed in a different direction. So far, I do not know any system in the world that teaches a person how to make money and/or be successful, all teach them how to be good workers (for someone else).
        For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
        to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
          The system you described in Belgium is almost identical with that in the US. Yet, the US has one of the lowest if not the lowest score among OECD countries when it comes to education and graduation rates. Doing fun things in class are important, no doubt, but the rigour that Armenian schools still have is not a bad thing, it just needs to be employed in a different direction. So far, I do not know any system in the world that teaches a person how to make money and/or be successful, all teach them how to be good workers (for someone else).
          I have only described the elementary school system now, which is more or less the same as the US but forgot to describe the secondary school system which is totally different and the drive behind the great school system together with its higher education system.

I was comparing the two first years when kids are 6-7 years old. Why do they need to know so many poems and things that totally don't interest a 7 year old. In my opinion the biggest problem we have in our education system is that we still are trying to copy the Soviet system instead of adapting much better systems around.

And being successful and an entrepreneur is something that no one can ever teach you however what schools can do is stimulate your creativity.

Comment

I have only described the elementary school system now, which is more or less the same as the US but forgot to describe the secondary school system which is totally different and the drive behind the great school system together with its higher education system.

I was comparing the two first years when kids are 6-7 years old. Why do they need to know so many poems and things that totally don't interest a 7 year old. In my opinion the biggest problem we have in our education system is that we still are trying to copy the Soviet system instead of adapting much better systems around.

And being successful and an entrepreneur is something that no one can ever teach you however what schools can do is stimulate your creativity.
            Not true. There are ways to teach someone how to be successful, not in the sense that they will be, but at least they will have a step up in comparison to those who were taught how to be a good worker. And stimulating creativity is part of the process but it is a means to an end, not an end goal in itself.
            For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

Not true. There are ways to teach someone how to be successful, not in the sense that they will be, but at least they will have a step up in comparison to those who were taught how to be a good worker. And stimulating creativity is part of the process but it is a means to an end, not an end goal in itself.

Comment

Sounds very nice. The real shame is that you constantly criticise Armenia and things Armenian as being something less than available in the West. I'm tired of people with no real knowledge, only hearsay, about corruption in the school systems. I was accused of having paid for my degree, that really hurt........................it was a gift from my uncle.

Perhaps you can describe Belgian secondary schools when you graduate?

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                  What does being successful mean? That is different for so many people. I think an good education can give you the building stones to build but after that they cannot help to implement those building stones in your life. Like you can teach a person how a company should be run but you cannot teach them how to do it themselves. That is what I meant meant that you can not teach a person to be an entrepreneur.

Ofcourse it isn't but a lack of creativity and creative thinking will hamper a person a lot for the rest of their life. People who make it are most of the time people who think outside of the box.
                  Originally posted by hrai View Post
                  Sounds very nice. The real shame is that you constantly criticise Armenia and things Armenian as being something less than available in the West. I'm tired of people with no real knowledge, only hearsay, about corruption in the school systems. I was accused of having paid for my degree, that really hurt........................it was a gift from my uncle.

Perhaps you can describe Belgian secondary schools when you graduate?
                  And what is the problem with criticizing? Or do you think everything in Armenia is perfect and cannot be improved? I think the problem is that some people don't think criticise enough and accept everything as it is. Ofcourse the corruption is hearsay and it is not like that PWC asked me not to provide anymore Armenian candidates for the paid internship they have open. The reason they don't want candidates from Armenian is because they don't trust their degrees.

Personal attacks, is that the best you can do? Because it just shows your own level of thinking and what kind of person you really.

Comment

What does being successful mean? That is different for so many people. I think an good education can give you the building stones to build but after that they cannot help to implement those building stones in your life. Like you can teach a person how a company should be run but you cannot teach them how to do it themselves. That is what I meant meant that you can not teach a person to be an entrepreneur.

Ofcourse it isn't but a lack of creativity and creative thinking will hamper a person a lot for the rest of their life. People who make it are most of the time people who think outside of the box.
                    Do you understand the difference between being a tool/wage-slave and being financially secure? If you have the latter you are successful in most people's minds in our age and in previous times too. Schools do NOT teach pupils how to be financially secure, how to think for themselves. The creative exercises are not meant to allow people to be free thinking, that is dangerous to governments because an informed and educated citizenry is much less likely to put up with all the bs that governments in the West and in other parts regularly bathe in. Do you understand the point I am trying to make or are you just arguing for arguments sake?

Comment

Working...
                    X