Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Parev/hello from Istanbul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parev/hello from Istanbul

Parev/hello from Istanbul.

I have come here because I would like to learn more about Armenia'a culture, traditions, cuisine, politics and language. Also, I am someone who wants Turkey to face its past properly and wants Turkey-Armenia relations to be normalised ; and, I would like to express my views on such issues.

I know that some Armenians, mainly the nationalists, won't welcome me here but I will speak out anyway (I have seen some posts in this section where some people generalised and wrote bad things about Turks). Dialogue is always healthy. I am here to exchange thoughts, ideas and experiences but I also hope that I will make some good friends here.

I am an anti-fascist. I oppose fascism and nationalism of ANY KIND. I believe that there is only a thin line between nationalism and fascism. Since I am Turkish, I write mainly in Turkish forums and since I speak out a lot against nationalism, I always receive bad words, insults and even threats from Turkish nationalists. Of course sometimes I write in non-Turkish forums too ; and nationalists from other countries write bad words to me too. I have noticed one thing : nationalists' level of intellectual argument is really basic. They keep repeating the same things and they often turn to insults and even threats. Sadly, fascism is still a big threat in Europe. I am sure many of you have heard about the Neo-Nazi party in Greece; they received about 7 percent of the vote in the general elections of last weekend. I believe that there should be an international anti-fascist alliance.

I was one of the Turks who attended the 24 April memorial service in Istanbul last month. I was there 2 years ago too (last year, I was outside Turkey so I couldn't attend). I was happy to see that from 2010 to 2012, there was a big increase in the no of people who attended it. This year, there were even 2 Turkish MP's who attended it. Of course, I know it is not enough. I really hope that one day a Turkish government will acknowledge the genocide and officially apologise.

A little about me.....my name is Cem...I was born in Istanbul in 1968.....I have spent most of my life in Istanbul but I also spent some years in England, Australia and Thailand. I have mostly been a teacher of English language......I have never been to Armenia but I would love to go there one day but I am bit worried about the reactions of Armenian nationalists there.

I like following political news and events...I like watching football and tennis.....I like playing billiard games and chess...and I love shopping

I identify myself as a liberal democrat who is anti-fascist and internationalist. I think that internationalism doesn't need to be based on Marxism. I am agnostic; I have never been interested in following any religion.

Cheers,

Cem

Re: Parev/hello from Istanbul

Good to meet you Cem. We need more rational Turks like you to counter balance the heavy Turkish fascism spewed against Armenians or in the denial of the Armenian Genocide. Hopefully more people like you will realise the realities and in time be majority in Turkey. Or else relations can never be repaired, and shouldn't, if Turkey doesn't accept its crimes in its past.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

You should listen to your Turkish brothers.......

Welcome to Hyeclub
      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Thanks to both of you. But, Eddo211, what did you mean by 'You should listen to your Turkish brothers' ?

Cem

Comment

Welcome, Cem.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Antifascist View Post
            Parev/hello from Istanbul.

I have come here because I would like to learn more about Armenia'a culture, traditions, cuisine, politics and language. Also, I am someone who wants Turkey to face its past properly and wants Turkey-Armenia relations to be normalised ; and, I would like to express my views on such issues.

I know that some Armenians, mainly the nationalists, won't welcome me here but I will speak out anyway (I have seen some posts in this section where some people generalised and wrote bad things about Turks). Dialogue is always healthy. I am here to exchange thoughts, ideas and experiences but I also hope that I will make some good friends here.

I am an anti-fascist. I oppose fascism and nationalism of ANY KIND. I believe that there is only a thin line between nationalism and fascism. Since I am Turkish, I write mainly in Turkish forums and since I speak out a lot against nationalism, I always receive bad words, insults and even threats from Turkish nationalists. Of course sometimes I write in non-Turkish forums too ; and nationalists from other countries write bad words to me too. I have noticed one thing : nationalists' level of intellectual argument is really basic. They keep repeating the same things and they often turn to insults and even threats. Sadly, fascism is still a big threat in Europe. I am sure many of you have heard about the Neo-Nazi party in Greece; they received about 7 percent of the vote in the general elections of last weekend. I believe that there should be an international anti-fascist alliance.

I was one of the Turks who attended the 24 April memorial service in Istanbul last month. I was there 2 years ago too (last year, I was outside Turkey so I couldn't attend). I was happy to see that from 2010 to 2012, there was a big increase in the no of people who attended it. This year, there were even 2 Turkish MP's who attended it. Of course, I know it is not enough. I really hope that one day a Turkish government will acknowledge the genocide and officially apologise.

A little about me.....my name is Cem...I was born in Istanbul in 1968.....I have spent most of my life in Istanbul but I also spent some years in England, Australia and Thailand. I have mostly been a teacher of English language......I have never been to Armenia but I would love to go there one day but I am bit worried about the reactions of Armenian nationalists there.

I like following political news and events...I like watching football and tennis.....I like playing billiard games and chess...and I love shopping

I identify myself as a liberal democrat who is anti-fascist and internationalist. I think that internationalism doesn't need to be based on Marxism. I am agnostic; I have never been interested in following any religion.

Cheers,

Cem
            Welcome, Cem-hoşgeldiniz- good to meet you. Unfortunately this is not the place to find any common ground or understanding. You may learn a few things with regards to Armenians, culture, history, genocide, church. We have some intelligent members here and but many are quite flippant, ultra-sensitive, etc- some are downright fascist. I myself am nationalistic in the sense that I care about Armenia's security and survival and I also care deeply about my people, culture history but like any other site, there are many internet warrior here as well. I wish I knew of another well organized, well-run forum but none exists. Nor do I think it ever will because the moment you get Armenians and Turks talking about anything other than the weather, all hell breaks loose.
            General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Welcome to the forum Cem.

As for the neo-Nazi who received 7 % and entered the Greek parliament, well shame on them who voted for them. Considering how much Greece and the Greek people suffered during the Nazi occupation, it is beyond my mind how people could even think to vote for these idiots. I spoke to my uncle who lives in Greece and he told me that a lot of people who voted for this Nazi party didn`t really knew what they really stood for. A lot of young people voted also for this party too. There is a strong discontent against the two major parties - Nea Dimokratia and PASOK. People have had enough of all the austerity measures. On the other hand, someting needs to be done, Greece can`t continue as they did before. Do I have to mention corruption? Of course, there are so many factors to why Greece came to this point. We are talking about chronic propblems here. The economic and financial crisis didn`t happen over night. And by the way, it isn`t the first time Greece goes bankrupt. I just hope that the new politicians who enters the parliament starts to think about the Greek people and not their own interestes. Our biggest enemy has become ourselves - and not the Turks!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandros View Post
                Welcome to the forum Cem.

As for the neo-Nazi who received 7 % and entered the Greek parliament, well shame on them who voted for them. Considering how much Greece and the Greek people suffered during the Nazi occupation, it is beyond my mind how people could even think to vote for these idiots. I spoke to my uncle who lives in Greece and he told me that a lot of people who voted for this Nazi party didn`t really knew what they really stood for. A lot of young people voted also for this party too. There is a strong discontent against the two major parties - Nea Dimokratia and PASOK. People have had enough of all the austerity measures. On the other hand, someting needs to be done, Greece can`t continue as they did before. Do I have to mention corruption? Of course, there are so many factors to why Greece came to this point. We are talking about chronic propblems here. The economic and financial crisis didn`t happen over night. And by the way, it isn`t the first time Greece goes bankrupt. I just hope that the new politicians who enters the parliament starts to think about the Greek people and not their own interestes. Our biggest enemy has become ourselves - and not the Turks!!!!
                Thanks, Alexandros. I am really sad about the economic crisis in Greece. I hope it won't be too many years before Greece fully recovers.

That fascist party has got a lot of militants, I think. But, let's hope the Greek anarchists and communists (I know that these two groups are strong in Greece) will give them hell in the streets

Do you like football ? Do you plan to go to Euro 2012 matches ? You know, in Euro 2004, I was really happy that Greece won it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
                  Welcome, Cem-hoşgeldiniz- good to meet you. Unfortunately this is not the place to find any common ground or understanding. You may learn a few things with regards to Armenians, culture, history, genocide, church. We have some intelligent members here and but many are quite flippant, ultra-sensitive, etc- some are downright fascist. I myself am nationalistic in the sense that I care about Armenia's security and survival and I also care deeply about my people, culture history but like any other site, there are many internet warrior here as well. I wish I knew of another well organized, well-run forum but none exists. Nor do I think it ever will because the moment you get Armenians and Turks talking about anything other than the weather, all hell breaks loose.
                  Thanks, Joseph.

I think that healthy dialogue IS possible between many Armenians and Turks. I read the Agos magazine (a weekly Armenian-community newspaper here in Turkish language) and there, I keep reading that many NGO's and individuals from both countries visit each other and are engaged in good and useful dialogue. But of course, the real difference is made via politics. And, yes, sadly, politicians offer little hope as of now.

I am hopeful that I can make dialogue with most people here. And, if I can convince even one nationalist person that nationalism is a terrible and dangerous ideology, then I am glad Let's not forget that it was nationalism that caused the Armenian genocide (of course, religion played a part too). And, we all know how much damage and destruction nationalism has caused almost all over the world throughout history. A true anti-fascist opposes all nationalism. And, I am like that. For me, being Turkish is not relevant; I consider myself a human being who just happens to be Turkish. I wish everyone considered themselves a human being first, and then Italian, Armenian, Turkish, Zambian, etc. I hope you understand me.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    Welcome, Cem.
                    Thanks, Siggie.

Comment

Working...
                    X