Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Greetings from Cyprus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greetings from Cyprus

Artashes again, thought I might tell you about our "British isles" history.
    In days gone by walking was the most common form of transportation . Our family wandered far and wide.
    We went to old Cathay ( 4 main kingdoms plus number of smaller ones ).
    Going the other way we went to what is now the British isles and settled there.
    If you look up king Alfred of the Saxons in his chronicles he discribes the land and people's there.
    Of the approx. 5 people's there we were one of them( Armina ).
    If you go to Wales and walk up and down the streets you can still see use.
    If you talk to some of the " rememberers " there is still a memory of us.
    We knew the Druids from original times in what is now Scotland.
    You would need to search there archaic records to ( maybe ) see us.
    Also you might look into the ( talking stones ) in Armenia and wonder.
    Also although it is extremely difficult you might try searching for Armen and Tourge.
    Best wishes
    Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
      Artashes again, thought I might tell you about our "British isles" history.
      In days gone by walking was the most common form of transportation . Our family wandered far and wide.
      We went to old Cathay ( 4 main kingdoms plus number of smaller ones ).
      Going the other way we went to what is now the British isles and settled there.
      If you look up king Alfred of the Saxons in his chronicles he discribes the land and people's there.
      Of the approx. 5 people's there we were one of them( Armina ).
      If you go to Wales and walk up and down the streets you can still see use.
      If you talk to some of the " rememberers " there is still a memory of us.
      We knew the Druids from original times in what is now Scotland.
      You would need to search there archaic records to ( maybe ) see us.
      Also you might look into the ( talking stones ) in Armenia and wonder.
      Also although it is extremely difficult you might try searching for Armen and Tourge.
      Best wishes
      Artashes
      The reference in British Chronicles is not to Armenia but to Brittany. 'Armina' was just term used for Brittany.
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Not so .
        I can only think you have inserted an assumption by ( ? ).
        There is no translation from Armina to what you said.
        Alfred was a fairly simple strait forward guy.
        On the occasion that I'm talking you can read the words at face value.
        Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Descendant View Post
          Well, I'm afraid in terms of looks, I don't think I could look any less Armenian!
          You look pretty Anglo-Saxon... but like you said, your eye features look Armenian.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Also I'm not saying the reference in the " Saxon chronicles is a reference to Armenia but to a people's that we're living there ( for a long Time) that originally came from us.
            Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
              Not so .
              I can only think you have inserted an assumption by ( ? ).
              There is no translation from Armina to what you said.
              Alfred was a fairly simple strait forward guy.
              On the occasion that I'm talking you can read the words at face value.
              Artashes
              The island of Britain is 800 miles long, and 200 miles broad. And there are in the island five nations; English, Welsh (or British), Scottish, Pictish, and Latin. The first inhabitants were the Britons, who came from Armenia, and first peopled Britain southward.

The translated text has a footnote after “Armenia” which is this:

“De tractu Armoricano” – The word Armenia occuring a few lines above in Bede, it was perhaps inadvertently written by the Saxon compiler of the “Chronicle” instead of Armorica.

So the translator of the Chronicle implies that the scriber made a mistake and wrote Armenia instead of Armorica. I searched in wikipedia for Armorica and here are first few lines of the entry:

Armorica or Aremorica is the name given in ancient times to the part of Gaul that includes the Brittany peninsula and the territory between the Seine and Loire rivers, extending inland to an indeterminate point and down the Atlantic coast.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---
              "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I appreciate the follow up.
                Don't have time now but before tomorrow I will gather my sources and compare.
                I could be wrong but there is a word in your source that is different thn mine and I thought I had the original.
                Before the marrow sun sets.
                Artashes

Comment

I have to agree with Mos about the geneology of Britons. In any and every history book I can recall about British history, the first settlers have always been said to be from a region in modern-day France, like Gaul. However, I read that it was a Greek geographer by the name of Pytheas that discovered Britain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pytheas...ery_of_Britain

Here's an interering question for you guys. I have heard a few Greek people claim that Armenia may have been colonised by Greeks in the 1,000 BC era, and that the name Armenios (Greek for 'Armenian') actually comes from the Greek verb 'armenizo' which means to sail, ie Armenians translates to 'sailors'. I'm a bit skeptical of this, as Greek people like to think we discovered everything and have been everywhere.

Have you guys ever heard of this story, or one like it?

Comment

Yeah, I don't know about the sail part... we're pretty much terrible swimmers and I'm pretty sure we've been land merchants since day one
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Ok. I'm in the midst of research on Saxon chronicles so still need to wait till tomorrow but have found why your wording ( Mos ) is different than mine. Approx� 4 to 6 manuscripts in full still exist but none original.
                      Many scribes involved. Good scholarly analysis on all. Am sorting through now.
                      Yes the " Gaels ", ( Gaelic ), " Gauls " ( Charles De Gaul )--- Charles of the Gauls--- and the Wales are related but not originating from what is now called France. Will also include that info tomorrow .
                      I love the Greeks, have a dear friend but not all were citizens and were treated differently in times past.
                      The villagers strike me as being arrested in a time warp .
                      Artoise was on the same journey with Jason. Archaic history often reads like fantasy.
                      That story has some factual basis but is written from Greek perspective and wrong in conclusion about
                      Artois .
                      The we aren't strong swimmers is funny.
                      In my youth I belong to Staircase surfing assoc.
                      The best break is about a mile offshore. Use to say hello to the Grey Whales every year on their migration.
                      My mother and her sister ( my aunt ) both won accolades for swimming in the late 30s early 40s for swimming.
                      In the early days of the city states between the rivers and also before they became cities Hay was building
                      Boats of straw , loading them with goods and sailing down to Mesopotamia .
                      Also we were real friends with the Phoenicians before Rome ( long before ) came to power.
                      We have lots of sailing experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X