Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Heavy Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Metal

I am an avid fan of metal (and rock in general) and would like to start a thread where people can discuss the genre, as well as its scene in Armenia, and maybe exchange some recommendations.

I recently got into Messhugga after hearing a few tracks off of Obzen and then promptly downloading Koloss. The mood and sound of that album is preerless. The textures of djent are incredibly heavy and organic, really getting into them. To say nothing of those inhuman vocals. Been tripping off of that for the past few weeks, still can't get enough of 'Break those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion'. Planning on getting the whole discography eventually.

Re: Heavy Metal

Sorry but heavy metal to me is one of the worst music that can be listened to. Much of it is also associated with devil worship and satanic cultures. Not to mention the music in general is like machine noise.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
      Sorry but heavy metal to me is one of the worst music that can be listened to. Much of it is also associated with devil worship and satanic cultures. Not to mention the music in general is like machine noise.
      omg. The devil is your friend. Revel in the devil, he'll set you free from stigma so that you can truly choose if you like God or not. Btw, most music today is subversive and deviant from Christian values, it's just that metal is honest and upfront about it, chapeau.

Anyway, I like metal, I just went to see Anvil the other day. I usually listen to rock now (just got a Pearl Jam cd, and an early Muse cd), and at work they always play 80s hair bands, like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, stuff like that.

I like bands like Annihilator, Metallica, Judas Priest, Sodom, Voivod.... I'm not gonna name 50 bands. But my own metal style of playing guitar is influenced by traditional heavy metal, thrash, my classical training and swing/blues
      Last edited by jgk3; 05-29-2012, 04:09 AM.

Comment

The devil worship and satanic aspect of it is extremely marginal in its serious sense, and theatrically comedic in most of its use. Metal likes to parody itself in some cases - take power metal and viking metal.

The music is indeed sometimes like machine noise, and that is precisely its appeal. It caters to aspects of aesthetics that mainstream music ignores. You will feel emotions listening to a metal drumming solo alone that can't be evoked by anything else.

It takes a while getting used to it. Until then, it's like staring into the sun; it's too bright for you to see what its texture is. Although I listen to all genres of music, provided the artist is good, I've enjoyed more emotional and intellectual diversity from metal than anything else.

Some people are just geared to never enjoy it, and that's fine. I myself find find the repetitiveness and plasticity of club pop to be so grating that I can't be in the room when it's played.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
          omg. The devil is your friend. Revel in the devil, he'll set you free from stigma so that you can truly choose if you like God or not. Btw, most music today is subversive and deviant from Christian values, it's just that metal is honest and upfront about it, chapeau.

Anyway, I like metal, I just went to see Anvil the other day. I usually listen to rock now (just got a Pearl Jam cd, and an early Muse cd), and at work they always play 80s hair bands, like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, stuff like that.

I like bands like Annihilator, Metallica, Judas Priest, Sodom, Voivod.... I'm not gonna name 50 bands. But my own metal style of playing guitar is influenced by traditional heavy metal, thrash, my classical training and swing/blues
          Recently just missed out on an underground festival, The foremost bands on the bill were Anvil, Napalm Death and Godflesh. Been listening to Godflesh on and off and bought Scum a few weeks ago, so it was a pity I couldn't make it.

Muse isn't to my taste, but I like what I've heard of Pearl Jam. Love Metallica and Slayer out of the Big 4, Judas Preist is extremely talented, though something about Halford's voice turns me off, despite his singing being near-flawless in technique.

My taste in metal originates in more groove-oriented subgenres - I enjoy nu metal's premise, though largely not its execution. Had a bit of a renaissance the past year where a lot of new sounds started appealing to me. Can't get enough of Lamb of God at the moment.

Comment

Mmm, can't get enough lamb.... but I don't listen to much Lamb of God, what 2 songs do you recommend I check out?

I deliberately avoided getting into nu-metal stuff because growing up I was very impressionable by metal elitists who insisted that it was for posers and bastardizers of real metal... Now I'm not entirely sure about what I've been missing out on, but there are well known bands that I've heard which do disappoint me (I can think of Amon Amarth at the moment). I also haven't heard Godflesh, so you can sample some of that too for me, thanks.

Comment

Or, as Artsvik Minasyan would doubtlessly put it, "it has created a den of perversion in our country and has a goal of alienating the society from its moral values".
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Here is Black Sabbath to make things all better:
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

What is wrong with the devil by the way? He's the underdog, who doesn't love an underdog story?

Let's add some Judas Pries on top of it!
                Last edited by KarotheGreat; 05-29-2012, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                  Mmm, can't get enough lamb.... but I don't listen to much Lamb of God, what 2 songs do you recommend I check out?

I deliberately avoided getting into nu-metal stuff because growing up I was very impressionable by metal elitists who insisted that it was for posers and bastardizers of real metal... Now I'm not entirely sure about what I've been missing out on, but there are well known bands that I've heard which do disappoint me (I can think of Amon Amarth at the moment). I also haven't heard Godflesh, so you can sample some of that too for me, thanks.
                  It took me a little while to shift gears for Lamb of God, because the vocals are treated as another instrument - as a component in the general trajectory of sound rather than the centerpiece around which the instrumentals are arranged. I would recommend 'Omerta' off of Ashes of the Wake and 'the Art of Ruin' off of As the Palaces Burn. The first half of that latter album is pure gold if heard in succession.

As for metal elitism, been there. I had a mentor-figure art teacher in high school, and he treated nu meal like the plague, though he loved metal in general. And as a Tool fan, I myself am, paradoxically and by default, elitist.

But if you're interested in pursuing the classics of the genre, I recommend KoRn's self-titled debut, Slipknot's Iowa (and self-titled too, for that matter), and Around the Fur from the Deftones. It can be quite visceral and beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
                    Here is Black Sabbath to make things all better:
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

What is wrong with the devil by the way? He's the underdog, who doesn't love an underdog story?

Let's add some Judas Pries on top of it!
                    '

*gently unfolds from fetal position in dark corner*

Comment

Working...
                    X