Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Global Warming

While hurricanes are nothing new to America and they have always has wild weather. This years drought in the US will impact global food security and the farmers in the US have been having problems for the last few years.

Sea levels are rising and it's not just in the North pole were the ice is melting. There is also a massive ice sheet in the south that they are worried about.

The Atlantic Jet Stream is moving northwards and weakening.

The jet stream — America's stormy weather maker — is creeping northward and weakening, new research shows.

That potentially means less rain in the already dry South and Southwest and more storms in the North. And it could also translate into more and stronger hurricanes since the jet stream suppresses their formation. The study's authors said they have to do more research to pinpoint specific consequences.

From 1979 to 2001, the Northern Hemisphere's jet stream moved northward on average at a rate of about 1.25 miles a year, according to the paper published Friday in the journal Geophysical Research Letters. The authors suspect global warming is the cause, but have yet to prove it.

The jet stream is a high-speed, constantly shifting river of air about 30,000 feet above the ground that guides storm systems and cool air around the globe. And when it moves away from a region, high pressure and clear skies predominate.

Two other jet streams in the Southern Hemisphere are also shifting poleward, the study found.

The northern jet stream "is the dominant thing that creates weather systems for the United States,'' said study co-author Ken Caldeira, a climate scientist at the Carnegie Institution of Washington in Stanford, Calif. "Bascially look south of where you are and that's probably a good guess of what your weather may be like in a few decades.''

The study looked at the average location of the constantly moving jet stream and found that when looked at over decades, it has shifted northward. The study's authors and other scientists suggest that the widening of the Earth's tropical belt — a development documented last year — is pushing the three jet streams toward the poles.

Climate models have long predicted that with global warming, the world's jet streams would move that way, so it makes sense to think that's what happening, Caldeira said. However, proving it is a rigorous process, using complex computer models to factor in all sorts of possibilities. That has not been done yet.

A rate of 1.25 miles a year "doesn't sound like much, but that works out to about 18 feet per day,'' Caldeira said. "If you think about climate zones shifting northward at this rate, you can imagine squirrels keeping up. But what are oak trees going to do?

"We are seeing a general northward shift of all sorts of phenomena in the Northern Hemisphere occurring at rates that are faster than what ecosystems can keep up with,'' he said.

Dian Seidel, a research meteorologist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration who wrote a study about the widening tropical belt last year, said she was surprised that Caldeira found such a small shift. Her study documented that the tropical belt was bulging at a much faster rate. Caldeira said his figures represent the minimum amount of movement.

The jet stream also factors into bumpy air travel. It is a cause of clear air turbulence that airline pilots try to avoid by tracking where the jet stream is.

http://news.securityorg.net/Jet%20st...kening-130.htm

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      This will allow easier access to the arctic oil. Ice breakers will no longer be needed (breaking up large pieces of arctic ice into smaller ones speeds up the process of eliminating the ice).
      It also opens up the Northwest passage to trade. Which means that Europe and Asia can trade unmolested. As the Suez canal has never been ideal.

Northwest Passage

Climate change is opening the Northwest Passage into a valuable shipping lane, connecting the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean through the Arctic Archipelago.

Comment

This is exactly what i am talking about. People are so brainwashed they cannot see the facts no matter how much evidence there is. Yes humans are indeed altering the weather on this planet and we are not the first living things to do so either. Trying its best to switch to clean energy you say? Where? Who? All the energy companies are looking to extract more and more hydrocarbons and why should they not do that when it brings them astoundingly stupid profits? The percentage of energy coming from renewables is a joke. These "perfect storms as you call them are not suposed to happen every few years like they have been. They are called a 100 year storm or once in a life time phenomenon. The storm that devastated the east coast has never ever been recorded previously. Just because hurricanes and ice ages have existed in the past does not mean that we have nothing to do with the weather today. I wonder what our world would be like if people were educated and acted in a rational manner.
        Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
        Haykakan are you suggesting that mankind is bringing about an ice age that has happened several times in earths history without humans even in existence?

I think the Western world is trying its best to switch to clean energy.....I don't think there is another choice in the long run and how reserves run out, it is something that will happen we like it or not, but I personally don't think events such as the super storm "Sandy" that we see now is the cause of human influence on earths atmosphere.

What you are witnessing now in eastern US is what is called a perfect storm. You have a very large CAT 1 (lowest lever btw but big) hurricane that mixed with a super cooled low coming down from north and they collided over populated area. In Aviation weather that is the worst recipe for FTSU.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
          This is exactly what i am talking about. People are so brainwashed they cannot see the facts no matter how much evidence there is. Yes humans are indeed altering the weather on this planet and we are not the first living things to do so either. Trying its best to switch to clean energy you say? Where? Who? All the energy companies are looking to extract more and more hydrocarbons and why should they not do that when it brings them astoundingly stupid profits? The percentage of energy coming from renewables is a joke. These "perfect storms as you call them are not suposed to happen every few years like they have been. They are called a 100 year storm or once in a life time phenomenon. The storm that devastated the east coast has never ever been recorded previously. Just because hurricanes and ice ages have existed in the past does not mean that we have nothing to do with the weather today. I wonder what our world would be like if people were educated and acted in a rational manner.
          Come down Haykakan....you gonna get a heart attack, lol.

1- Nobody said we humans don't have influence on earth's weather pattern (hell I know guys who fly cloud seeding missions). however our influence and carbon deposits are not significant enough to bring in a new ice age, that is what I said.

2- Clean energy is a new and takes time to reach its full potential and we are still very much dependent on crude energy. For example if you have noticed the requirements for new manufactured car engines are much stricter than before and they must meet certain minimum pollution and MPG. In US I just voted for two propositions for increased incentives for clean energy businesses. The smog level (seen from flight) now compared to the 80s are night and day. So yes a lot more work to be done but I believe mankind is at least moving on the right direction.

3- Storms like Sandy happen all the time over underpopulated areas (mostly over the oceans) and never recorded however when they happen over populated areas then it becomes a 100 year storm.
          B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Up hear in the northern part of Alaska(approx. 160 miles from the arctic circle) in a small city called" Fairbanks is a university called ( UAF --- University of Alaska, Fairbanks ).
            Many scientists are flooding to this university, specifically the " Arctic Research Center ".
            A great many scientists are from the circumpolar countries but there are also many other countries represented.
            I meet many , many , many, etc. of these scientists. I try to get all the information I can.
            I have split these scientists into two groups. One group I call "ligitimate" scientists and the other group I call "politicle hacks". The group I call ligitimate is represents well over 95% (easily) of the scientists I meet.
            When I tell them that both the general public and most ( it seems to me ) of the community leaders point to the coming and going of past ice ages and say it (global warming) is a natural occurrence and that they don't believe "mankind is responsible for this climatic change, they(ligitimate scientists) tell me this -ďż˝------------- mankind has disrupted a natural cycle --- . In their circle there is no longer any dought that the activities of man is the primary causative factor in the climatic changes we are witnessing today.
            2000 was the last real winter I saw up here. Before 2000 starting from about Jan 15th to the end of Feb the high temp was 17 below zero F and it would constantly dip down to 20,30,40,50,60, below zero and colder but never get warmer than about 17 below zero F. In these last 12 years I've seen multiple 50 above F temps. That is only one of a multitude of changes I've seen.
            Artashes

Comment

One think I have learned in years of flying in different weather is that you respect mother nature.....humans do have an influence in earths dynamic climate changes (like cutting down the rain forests) however I have found out that we are too small in greater skeem of things to bring about a green house effect or an resulting ice age of future.

Artashes I agree, the reports from the poles are alarming.....not to mention Haykakan's poor ice fishing conditions in US.

Good read

The idea that Global Warming is a natural cycle is well understood from paleo data covering the past 1 million years. Is there a difference between current climate, and the natural cycle? For the past million years the natural climate has oscillated between warm periods and ice ages. This shifting in and out of warm periods and ice ages is correlated strongly with Milankovitch cycles. In order to understand the difference between natural cycle and human-caused global warming, one needs to consider changes in radiative forcing and how this affects systems on earth such as the atmosphere, vegetation, ice and snow, ocean cycles and related effects.

PG Slot แหลงรวมเกมสลอตชนน แตกงายกวาทอน ไมมลอคยส ถอนไดจรงทกบาท เปดใหนกเดมพนไดทดลองเลนฟรทกเกม
              B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Eddo, it's good to see you back in print. --- however ---
                Your comment -- "I have found out" and "insignificant in the greater seem of things" comment is 180 degrees opposite of what the main body of scientists are telling me.
                The USA gets 80% of its electricity from coal fired plants. Up until a few years ago America was the #1 polluter of the world. Now China has taken#1 spot and India is not far behind. That is not counting all others.
                The number of --- BILLION - S - of metric tons of pollutants produced today is enough to dramatically pollute the entire Pacific and Atlantic oceans as well as all other main body's of water and still have enough pollution to pollute the entire lower atmosphere as well as the land masses.
                The amount of chemicals and other pollutants being produced in any single year is staggering, let alone the accumulation of many decades.
                The oversite and accountability of most of these pollutants is by the producers of said pollutants, and the dollar is what's important to them , not accountability. Their accountability is pathetic and constantly manipulated to put them in a favorable position and has nothing to do with the truth.
                Still glad to see you back.
                Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
                  Eddo, it's good to see you back in print. --- however ---
                  Your comment -- "I have found out" and "insignificant in the greater seem of things" comment is 180 degrees opposite of what the main body of scientists are telling me.
                  The USA gets 80% of its electricity from coal fired plants. Up until a few years ago America was the #1 polluter of the world. Now China has taken#1 spot and India is not far behind. That is not counting all others.
                  The number of --- BILLION - S - of metric tons of pollutants produced today is enough to dramatically pollute the entire Pacific and Atlantic oceans as well as all other main body's of water and still have enough pollution to pollute the entire lower atmosphere as well as the land masses.
                  The amount of chemicals and other pollutants being produced in any single year is staggering, let alone the accumulation of many decades.
                  The oversite and accountability of most of these pollutants is by the producers of said pollutants, and the dollar is what's important to them , not accountability. Their accountability is pathetic and constantly manipulated to put them in a favorable position and has nothing to do with the truth.
                  Still glad to see you back.
                  Artashes
                  The only difference is that you are convinced that humans are the primary cause of global warming but I am not so convinced that other forces are not in effect. Sure we have fcked this world up in the short time we have been here on earth but earth has also changed its weather dramatically. The sea level has risen and fallen by more than 100 feet in the past.

I don't think it is as simple as people think and I don't think these same people realize how hard it would be to go all green even if all governments of the world held hands and prayed together.
                  B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Eddo is a good example of the difficulty educators like myself are faced with. How do you make a person accept the facts when they won't accept a reasonable argument and their irrational behavior is reinforced by special interest bs science. BS science is actually on the rise as more of our education sectors become influenced by special interest money and this does not bode well for our future either. When i discuss things like inequality, pollution, global warming, special interest, labor unions.. there is always a small percentage of people in my class who seem uncomfortable about what i am saying yet they never ever provide a reasonable argument as to why they seem to disagree. Just recently i had a student who said he disagreed with the point i was making and so i asked him why he disagreed and he couldn't tell me why-he had no argument other then that he disagrees. I think this sort of thinking of believing something wo evidence or reason is a real danger to society and probably stems from religion. I frequent a michigan icefishing forum on the web and i see people so excited about the coming season yet they all know that there may not be a season at all like it was the case last year. The problem of global warming to me seems like a much bigger issue then climate change i think it touches on a much more fundemental topic of the human ability or inability to think and act rationally and this is what worries me the most.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Nobody actually looked at the NCSE site clearly... Instead of arguing with one another's conclusions and processing information filtered through the media, why not GO LOOK AT THE EVIDENCE that is available and see what conclusion they support. Everyone wants someone else to do the thinking for them and tell them what to believe. Instead of just adopting the belief that best fits with your other beliefs and your world view, suspend decision for long enough to actually look objectively at the evidence and see where it points.

Science requires following the evidence and the experts in the related fields (you know, your climatology PhD as opposed to your B.A./B.S-degreed HS teacher) almost unanimously agree. Listening to the media, you'd think there's disagreement, but there isn't. There's no controversy within the scientific community, just consensus.
                      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X