Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Agriculture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Agriculture

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
    I cannot say what will or will not happen. What i can say is that there is much to be gained economicaly but there are more then economic issues here and i in no way suggest to ignore them. I will try to explain comparative advantage though if you really do want to see how Armenia can benefit from trade with Turky and vice versa. The point that is important to understand is that you do not have to be better then the turk at anything in order to gain by trading with them. Lets start with agricultural example since it is the title of this thread. Agricultural land is limited for both countries (scarce resources principle) Lets say Turky makes 6 tons of potato and 4 tons of figgs. Now lets say Armenia can only make 2 tons of potatos and 2 tons of figgs. Notice how Turky can make more of each thing then Armenia by itself. The thing that is important here is that due to the limited nature of agricultural land(scarcity) Turky will be better off to just make potato and let Armenia make all the figgs. The reason for doing so is opportunity cost(what you must give up to get something else). The opportunity cost for Turky to make 1 ton of fig is 1.5 tons of potatos. The opportunity cost for Armenia to make one ton of fig is one tone of potato. As you can see even when Turky is better then Armenia at making both things but since it is better at making potatos then figgs and Armenia is as good at making potatos as figgs - it will be more efficient if Turky made all the potatos and Armenia made all the figgs and they trade. By doing this they will actually both be able to produce and consume more of both potatos and figgs. Specialization is all about doing what you are comparably best at and since Armenia has lower opportunity cost then Turky at making figgs-it has a comparative advantage over Turky at making figgs while Turky has a comparable advantage at making potatos over Armenia. Since each side is doing what they are most efficient at doing-there will be more figgs and potatos for both given the same amount of land they both had to start with. I hope this makes sense to you now.
    Dear,
    Now that you explained me for the third time the same basics of free trade economics, I guarantee you I did understand the principle!!
    I understand perfectly.
    Perfectly.
    100% Garantee.

This works in EU, this works between US and China, in the ASEAN, the MERCOSUR, etc..., no problem!

But once again, do you really believe this can work for Turkey/Armenia?????

And once again, since we are on agriculture:
    Just one example???

Comment

But once again, do you really believe this can work for Turkey/Armenia?????
      For toorky he can work double time and still achieve less then he is doing now...
      Last edited by Vahram; 01-27-2013, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Are figgs and potatos not agricultural products? This concept can be used with all agricultural products and all other products. The economic principles work for everyone who is willing to use them-thus if the will is there yes it will work. Finding the political will is another story. No the relations between Armenia and Turkey are not like those of a couple EU countries but you dont need to be at that level of relations just to trade. The benefits of trade are very much real but the answers to ethical questions are not as simple thus i say yes economicaly relations with Turky make sence for Armenia but politicaly and ethicaly well these are very different issues. Anyways i gota get some sleep-bari gisher.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Are figgs and potatos not agricultural products? This concept can be used with all agricultural products and all other products. The economic principles work for everyone who is willing to use them-thus if the will is there yes it will work. Finding the political will is another story. No the relations between Armenia and Turkey are not like those of a couple EU countries but you dont need to be at that level of relations just to trade. The benefits of trade are very much real but the answers to ethical questions are not as simple thus i say yes economicaly relations with Turky make sence for Armenia but politicaly and ethicaly well these are very different issues. Anyways i gota get some sleep-bari gisher.
          This is considered overtime....

Comment

Bari Kisher

As a matter of fact, just in case:
            In real life, when the Georgian marken opened to them in 1999-2000, turkish cheap potatoes in dumping prices ruined the economy of Javakh, main producer of potatoes in Georgian Republic, and hardly hit Lori producers, for whom that market was of major export interest....
            So probably, if the border is opened, Lori villagers will be as happy as their Javakhk brothers... something I hope will never happen.

Unfortunately, we do not produce any figs...
            We used to, when we had Cilicia .... , and guess who invades world's dried fig market?

Comment

Figgs and potatos are just random examples. Armenia has plenty of comparative advantages over Turky and i bet if you looked hard you may even find absolute advantages in a number of things. Do not underestimate your own peoples ability to compete. We may not have the resources the turks have but we do not need that much to be effective economicaly. Monopolies and corruption hurt a lot to thus Armenia faces many issues but none of these issues mean armenia cannot benefit economicaly by trading.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Figgs and potatos are just random examples. Armenia has plenty of comparative advantages over Turky and i bet if you looked hard you may even find absolute advantages in a number of things. Do not underestimate your own peoples ability to compete. We may not have the resources the turks have but we do not need that much to be effective economicaly. Monopolies and corruption hurt a lot to thus Armenia faces many issues but none of these issues mean armenia cannot benefit economicaly by trading.
                Ok, let's end this.
                All you say is true, in theory, but not for Armenia/turkey.
                You trade with partners, not with the very butcher who's sole aim is you disappearance.
                The aim is still the same, as long as the Nazi/Ittihadists are in power.
                And it will never change, nor CAN Change++
                Change would mean END for the very regime.
                No regime, specially not one having committed a series of Genocides, commits suicides by will.
                Turkey can not change.
                It is genetically programed to be what it is...
                Only force can change it by braking it, from inside, outside, downside....
                It will happen eventually, but as result, we will have something other than Turkey.
                In the mean time, it tries very hard make outsiders believe it can change without braking, it is changing, etc... BS we well know.
                In its aim, it benefits, often by paying western and russian think thank's, collaboration.
                Often Armenians working in those Think Thanks, end up collaborating with it, willy nilly..
                Some are "corrupted" in their turn (if they do understand what they do).
                If not, they are more dangerous than if were corrupted..

I conclude, that you participated in the elaboration of a paper, based on theories, wishful thinkings, that are based on a series of wrong assumptions, when it comes to real facts, in the specific case?
                1- That Turkey CAN be an honest trading partner!!!!?? ( a question I asked you specifically, for 2 or 3 times, but you seam to avoid answering)
                2- That Big Powers are interested in bringing Armenia/Turkey together..... (first and the foremost being the US)
                Last edited by Vrej1915; 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Well i disagree that it is wishful thinking and wrong assumptions. This paper dealt with only the economic aspects and there is nothin but facts in it. The two points you talk of are not as much economic issues as much as they are political in nature. I do not deny that turkey is what it is (genocidal maniac with a selective memory/amnesia). I also do not deny that open borders with this entity could benefit Armenia economicaly. There are ways to safegaurd against much of the things you fear but mainly it boils down to motivations on both parts. So long as the two sides are hell bent on eachothers destruction then trade will likely be used as a weapon. A assumtion you make is that the beast cannot change-well change is hard but it is not impossible. Who would have imagined thousends of people protesting the killing of an armenian in Turky? While its genocidal tendencies manifest themselves even now(the killings of elderly women) there are also those who try to fight these things (parliamentary discussion of these killings). There have always been bad and good turks just as there are bad and good in any people. This does not mean the ratio of good and bad people never changes. Education is the best weapon against bigotry but the turkish government works hard to promote bigotry anstead of opposing it. The way Turky acts is typical of imperialists and we have seen that this type of behavior is indeed difficult to change (ie britain, and now usa, and france..). Free trade is an economic issue and will work for anyone who wants to solve economic problems. Should Turky and Armenia one day resolve their significant political diffirences the possibilities from free trade can be realized. One interesting thing about trade is that it brings people togather. Even with closed borders and political ill will we see trade happening between the two countries and plenty of armenian tourists resting on turkish beaches. I hope the turkish state will reconsile with its own past and mend its relations with the armenian people but regardless of this fact turks and armenians will trade anyways and you see this happening every day.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Well i disagree that it is wishful thinking and wrong assumptions. This paper dealt with only the economic aspects and there is nothin but facts in it. The two points you talk of are not as much economic issues as much as they are political in nature. I do not deny that turkey is what it is (genocidal maniac with a selective memory/amnesia). I also do not deny that open borders with this entity could benefit Armenia economicaly. There are ways to safegaurd against much of the things you fear but mainly it boils down to motivations on both parts. So long as the two sides are hell bent on eachothers destruction then trade will likely be used as a weapon. A assumtion you make is that the beast cannot change-well change is hard but it is not impossible. Who would have imagined thousends of people protesting the killing of an armenian in Turky? While its genocidal tendencies manifest themselves even now(the killings of elderly women) there are also those who try to fight these things (parliamentary discussion of these killings). There have always been bad and good turks just as there are bad and good in any people. This does not mean the ratio of good and bad people never changes. Education is the best weapon against bigotry but the turkish government works hard to promote bigotry anstead of opposing it. The way Turky acts is typical of imperialists and we have seen that this type of behavior is indeed difficult to change (ie britain, and now usa, and france..). Free trade is an economic issue and will work for anyone who wants to solve economic problems. Should Turky and Armenia one day resolve their significant political diffirences the possibilities from free trade can be realized. One interesting thing about trade is that it brings people togather. Even with closed borders and political ill will we see trade happening between the two countries and plenty of armenian tourists resting on turkish beaches. I hope the turkish state will reconsile with its own past and mend its relations with the armenian people but regardless of this fact turks and armenians will trade anyways and you see this happening every day.
                    My Dear,
                    As you said you hope....
                    hope = wish
                    And it seems you genuinely believe the propaganda/thesis of change... made in turkey.

Comment

"My Dear,
                      As you said you hope....
                      hope = wish
                      And it seems you genuinely believe the propaganda/thesis of change... made in turkey. "

Yes i hope and wish but how can anyone say i believe in propaganda of change i don't know. Change is always possible but it is not evident on the governmental level of Turky. I critisize and point out turkish bs as much as you do thus i am no dupe. Reality is the ultimate scoreboard. People can believe what they like but that fact does not make their beliefs real(try explaining this to religious people). The facts should always be studied because when you make decisions you need to know what the opportunity costs of that decision are as well as the benefits.
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X