Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Agriculture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Agriculture

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
    "My Dear,
    As you said you hope....
    hope = wish
    And it seems you genuinely believe the propaganda/thesis of change... made in turkey. "

Yes i hope and wish but how can anyone say i believe in propaganda of change i don't know. Change is always possible but it is not evident on the governmental level of Turky. I critisize and point out turkish bs as much as you do thus i am no dupe. Reality is the ultimate scoreboard. People can believe what they like but that fact does not make their beliefs real(try explaining this to religious people). The facts should always be studied because when you make decisions you need to know what the opportunity costs of that decision are as well as the benefits.
    Exact!
    That's why it is so "bizarre", when you declare free trade is beneficial (let alone more beneficial) to us, when all that 'calculus' is based on hope/wish, wich is barely possible.
    For me, the good formula (simplified) would be:
    "Trade would/could be beneficial for both sides, provided Turkey changes upside down"

Comment

Wait until this railroad gets going, all these issues will be behind us.

Comment

I have no degree in higher formal education. Desspite that , I've tried to understand ( comprehend ) the financial, economic, monetary , etc.
        Here is what I came away with ( besides a bad headache ) .
        The economics plays out as Haykakan describes .
        The reality plays out as Vrej describes .
        When I tried to find out the disparity between the two , I came to this conclusion --- money , and the many creative manipulations leave the door WIDE open for fraud .
        Those who are in the best position to manipulate " money " do so AT every opportunity they can perceive , and think their intellects are great and their rewards just .
        In my opinion, the federal reserve, the IMF, etc, are incideous frauds . Not easy to perceive by the ordinary , or even the educated , but fraudulent all the same.
        This monetary fraud , this economic fraud , is pervasive. We are submerged and surrounded by it .
        In these contemporary times , everyone has to use it , somewhere , sometime . Can't avoid that .
        However , not to recognize the fraudulent nature and machanations in my opinion is a death knoll .
        Have a bit more to say but gotta go.
        Artashes

Comment

Agriculture , gmo's , and economics . Of the three , agriculture and economics have recently been discussed on this thread , fairly intensely .
          Gmo's , can be talked about in an agricultural sense or an economic sense .
          In the " elections in Armenia " ( think that's how it's titled ? ) Sarkis brings up "gmo's " in the conversation and points out some --- bad news --- aspects of gmo's , along with fact and videos to back up his his and others ligitimate concern on dangers of gmo's .
          Haykakan , acknowledges safety concerns that a certain portion of world community has with gmo's , but also points out some economic benefits , and further more points out morality issue and Monsanto , a big multi national company's role . Haykakan further elaborates on Monsanto's questionable moral integrity as well as "pure" economic thought .
          The "pure" economic , and the reality argument appeared between Vrej and Haykakan on this thread recently .
          Got off work at 4am , got up 8 hrs later and have to move now , but want to address above issues at first opportunity .
          Similar to the Haykakan/ Vrej discussion where both made valid points , but I thought Vrej's point was representative of the of the reality that Mr & Mrs ordinarary would have to " suck up " at the end of the day .
          Personally , I think this is of extreme ( EXTREME ) importance .
          I say --- thank GOD Armenia banned gmo's and Monsanto co is in bed with the devil .
          Art ashes.

Comment

I think quinoa, a very lucrative and nutritious crop that desires cooler temperatures, would be ideal in many highland parts of Armenia.

Originally posted by http://www.saltspringseeds.com/scoop/powerfood.htm
            Planting Times. Quinoa grows best where maximum temperatures do not exceed 90°F (32°C) and nighttime temperatures are cool. For most southern Canadian and northern U.S. sites, the best time to plant quinoa is late April to late May. When soil temperatures are around 60°F (15°C) seedlings emerge within three to four days. However, when quinoa seeds are planted in soil with night-time temperatures much above that, quinoa, like spinach, may not germinate. In this instance, it's best to refrigerate seeds before planting.
            In warmer regions, Amaranth (also known in Greek as Vlita) apparently works better.

Both Amaranth and Quinoa produce nutritious seed, rich in protein and contain some amino acids not found in other plant sources.

Originally posted by Wikipedia: Amaranth, Nutritional value
            Cooked amaranth leaves are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and folate; they are also a complementing source of other vitamins such as thiamine, niacin, and riboflavin, plus some dietary minerals including calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, copper, and manganese. Cooked amaranth grains are a complementing source of thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, and folate, and dietary minerals including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, and manganese - comparable to common grains such as wheat germ, oats and others.[14]

Amaranth seeds contain lysine, an essential amino acid, limited in other grains or plant sources.[21] Most fruits and vegetables do not contain a complete set of amino acids, and thus different sources of protein must be used. Amaranth too is limited in some essential amino acids, such as leucine and threonine.[22][23] Amaranth seeds are therefore promising complement to common grains such as wheat germ, oats, corn because these common grains are abundant sources of essential amino acids found to be limited in amaranth.[24][25]

Amaranth may be a promising source of protein to those who are gluten sensitive, because unlike the protein found in grains such as wheat and rye, its protein does not contain gluten.[26] According to a 2007 report, amaranth compares well in nutrient content with gluten-free vegetarian options such as buckwheat, corn, millet, wild rice, oats and quinoa.[27][28]

Several studies have shown that like oats, amaranth seed or oil may be of benefit for those with hypertension and cardiovascular disease; regular consumption reduces blood pressure and cholesterol levels, while improving antioxidant status and some immune parameters.[29][30][31] While the active ingredient in oats appears to be water-soluble fiber, amaranth appears to lower cholesterol via its content of plant stanols and squalene.

Amaranth remains an active area of scientific research for both human nutritional needs and foraging applications. Over 100 scientific studies suggest a somewhat conflicting picture on possible anti-nutritional and toxic factors in amaranth, more so in some particular strains of amaranth. Lehmann, in a review article, identifies some of these reported anti-nutritional factors in amaranth to be phenolics, saponins, tannins, phytic acid, oxalates, protease inhibitors, nitrates, polyphenols and phytohemagglutinins.[32] Of these, oxalates and nitrates are of more concern when amaranth grain is used in foraging applications. Some studies suggest thermal processing of amaranth, particularly in moist environment, prior to its preparation in food and human consumption may be a promising way to reduce the adverse effects of amaranth's anti-nutritional and toxic factors.
            Last edited by jgk3; 02-01-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
              Agriculture , gmo's , and economics . Of the three , agriculture and economics have recently been discussed on this thread , fairly intensely .
              Gmo's , can be talked about in an agricultural sense or an economic sense .
              In the " elections in Armenia " ( think that's how it's titled ? ) Sarkis brings up "gmo's " in the conversation and points out some --- bad news --- aspects of gmo's , along with fact and videos to back up his his and others ligitimate concern on dangers of gmo's .
              Haykakan , acknowledges safety concerns that a certain portion of world community has with gmo's , but also points out some economic benefits , and further more points out morality issue and Monsanto , a big multi national company's role . Haykakan further elaborates on Monsanto's questionable moral integrity as well as "pure" economic thought .
              The "pure" economic , and the reality argument appeared between Vrej and Haykakan on this thread recently .
              Got off work at 4am , got up 8 hrs later and have to move now , but want to address above issues at first opportunity .
              Similar to the Haykakan/ Vrej discussion where both made valid points , but I thought Vrej's point was representative of the of the reality that Mr & Mrs ordinarary would have to " suck up " at the end of the day .
              Personally , I think this is of extreme ( EXTREME ) importance .
              I say --- thank GOD Armenia banned gmo's and Monsanto co is in bed with the devil .
              Art ashes.
              Sometimes the devil has horns protruding from his head and looks hot , mean , and scary .
              Sometimes the devil is wearing a red dress with really nice knockers protruding from the chest and looks hot , mean and scary ( in an inticing way ) .
              In between these two figures is a bookkeeper , two spread sheets and an economist .
              The horned guy and the bookkeeper and one spread sheet are in a smoke filled room in the back .
              The red dress with the nice ( really nice ) knockers and the economist with the other spread sheet are out front addressing the public .
              ----------------------------
              I've had many jobs in my lifetime .
              When I got my first b job , I remember thinking --- I like this job .
              Don't think the b job did much for the hard working , hard pressed villagers working agricultural jobs .
              Also don't think the economists rosey spread sheet is telling the hard working , hard pressed villagers working in the agricultural fields story accurately .
              Artashes

Comment

Working constantly , can't stop .
                Want to make several points about farming / agriculture but ...
                A word on economics now because I only have a few minutes .
                In my early days I was doing some tracking trying to figure out why the poor man was poor in such a rich country .
                Using similar approach as Haykakan , but not as educated or refined . However I felt it was sufficient enough to find the answer .
                I kept coming up short , even though the economic data kept telling me America had a ROBUST economy .
                An old J-ew grabbed me and took me to the side and told me several things .
                He said -- follow the money . Then he told me I was looking from the wrong direction . He said I could not track from the beginning , but had to track from the end and go backwards .
                He said the way I was doing it , that the benefits would always come out looking good for the economy AND the rich . But if I went right to the source --- the poor man --- and tracked backwards , then I could see the lies I was hunting .
                Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
                  Working constantly , can't stop .
                  Want to make several points about farming / agriculture but ...
                  A word on economics now because I only have a few minutes .
                  In my early days I was doing some tracking trying to figure out why the poor man was poor in such a rich country .
                  Using similar approach as Haykakan , but not as educated or refined . However I felt it was sufficient enough to find the answer .
                  I kept coming up short , even though the economic data kept telling me America had a ROBUST economy .
                  An old J-ew grabbed me and took me to the side and told me several things .
                  He said -- follow the money . Then he told me I was looking from the wrong direction . He said I could not track from the beginning , but had to track from the end and go backwards .
                  He said the way I was doing it , that the benefits would always come out looking good for the economy AND the rich . But if I went right to the source --- the poor man --- and tracked backwards , then I could see the lies I was hunting .
                  Artashes
                  wow.... seems to ring pretty true.

Comment

Artashesh you bring up inequality which i have researched to some length. People wonder why are there so many people in poverty in the richest country on earth when much poorer countries have fewer people in poverty taking into acount population differences. The answer to this question is not at all obvious but is easy to understand and explain. You see in the late 70s and early 80s a evile invention was born in the USA called special interest lobbying. People/coorporations either formed their own lobbies or paid other lobbiests to influenceour government. Regardless if you had your own lobby or if you hired another lobby to do your bidding in either case you had to pay to be heard in government. The influence of money in politics has drastically grown since then and lobbies have morphed into things like super pacts which have a huge level of influence and do not even need to declare where their money comes from thus hiding the source of influence on the government. So what does all this have to do with inequality? Well for 35 years or so our government has been influenced by the rich who furthered their interests via lobbying while the poor who cannot lobby (they have no money) cannot advance their interests. There is a culture in this country of blaming the poor for their own misery but this blame is misplaced. The truth is that it is harder to crawl out of poverty here in the USA then it is in many other parts of the world including Asia. People in poverty face huge obsticles and have no say in government. The full access to government enjoyed by the rich and the no access to government by the poor is the reason behind the greatest inequality in the developed world-a level of inequality which is only growing.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                      Artashesh you bring up inequality which i have researched to some length. People wonder why are there so many people in poverty in the richest country on earth when much poorer countries have fewer people in poverty taking into acount population differences. The answer to this question is not at all obvious but is easy to understand and explain. You see in the late 70s and early 80s a evile invention was born in the USA called special interest lobbying. People/coorporations either formed their own lobbies or paid other lobbiests to influenceour government. Regardless if you had your own lobby or if you hired another lobby to do your bidding in either case you had to pay to be heard in government. The influence of money in politics has drastically grown since then and lobbies have morphed into things like super pacts which have a huge level of influence and do not even need to declare where their money comes from thus hiding the source of influence on the government. So what does all this have to do with inequality? Well for 35 years or so our government has been influenced by the rich who furthered their interests via lobbying while the poor who cannot lobby (they have no money) cannot advance their interests. There is a culture in this country of blaming the poor for their own misery but this blame is misplaced. The truth is that it is harder to crawl out of poverty here in the USA then it is in many other parts of the world including Asia. People in poverty face huge obsticles and have no say in government. The full access to government enjoyed by the rich and the no access to government by the poor is the reason behind the greatest inequality in the developed world-a level of inequality which is only growing.
                      Thanks Hakakan for the clarity .
                      I spent two years getting through the 12th grade , so am rudimentary at best in my attempts . Don't have the tools of higher formal education or really even know how to use them , so your more irradiate light is both welcome and appreciated .
                      -----
                      Agriculture
                      Have worked on a farm before . Used to run alongside a truck with two hooks in my hands , and grab bails of hay and toss them on the truck beside me as we moved through the fields . After awhile the truck would stop and we ( driver and me ) would stack the hay neatly , then change positions and I'd drive while friend ran alongside ... When truck was full of neatly stacked bails we then went to main hay stack and off loaded truck , etc. Also would move irrigation line , hand line , motorized line , both straight and circular , and water the fields . Also many other choirs .
                      The farmers themselves would drive the cool tractors and plow the fields , and also pull other things behind the tractors to cut crops , fertilize etc.
                      It seemed to me the stuff they were using to fertilize the earth with was ammonia or something closely relate . Smelled like ammonia .
                      Similar to the mining industry there is a toxic byproduct in the run off , after irrigation .
                      And similar to the mining industry , the farmers ( in my opinion ) did NOT take the time and effort to handle said toxic by product appropriately .
                      The Columbia river ( a large beautiful river ) was the recipient of those toxins as well as other pollutants that are produced by large industrialized ??? Modern ??? Farming techniques .
                      Welcome to ??? Advanced ??? civilization .
                      So I wondered --- is this the only way ?
                      Have to go now but would like to say what my modest search showed .
                      Artashes

Comment

Working...
                      X