Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Castrated Armenian carpets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Castrated Armenian carpets!

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
    ARMENIAN ASSEMBLY OF AMERICA
    PRESS RELEASE
    Date: December 2, 2013

Telephone: (202) 393-3434
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: www.aaainc.org

ARMENIAN ASSEMBLY OF AMERICA TO DISPLAY ARMENIAN ORPHAN SISTER RUG IN BOSTON

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Armenian Assembly of America (Assembly) will
    display the `Armenian Orphan Sister Rug' at the Assembly's annual holiday
    reception and briefing in Boston, Massachusetts later this week. Dr. H.
    Martin Deranian, author of `President Calvin Coolidge and the Armenian
    Orphan Rug' will be the special guest, where he will talk about the Ghazir
    rug, also known as the Armenian Orphan Rug, the Sister Rug and the unique
    history surrounding their fate. In addition, the Assembly is delighted to
    feature remarks by Shant Mardirossian, Chairman of the Board of Directors
    of the Near East Foundation.

The Armenian Assembly's Annual Boston Holiday Reception & Briefing will be
    held at the Armenian Cultural Foundation, 441 Mystic Street, Arlington, MA,
    on Thursday, December 5 at 6:30 PM.

A part of Dr. Martin Deranian's private collection, the Armenian Orphan
    Sister Rug was woven by the same orphans at the Ghazir orphanage. According
    to Dr. Deranian, the carpet dates from the 1920's and is 3' 5' x 5' 8'. At
    one end, the carpet is woven with beautiful lettering that reads `To Mrs.
    D.W. Williams, an expression of appreciation Near East Orphanage Ghazir,
    Syria.'

`The Ghazir Rug was presented to President Coolidge and to the American
    people as an expression of love and goodwill for America's compassionate
    and selfless role in preserving the lives of tens of thousands or orphans
    of the Armenian Genocide through the support of Near East Relief,' Dr.
    Deranian told the Assembly. `The rug is also a memorial to the
    orphan-weavers who wove into its warp and weft a permanent remembrance of
    Armenia's darkest years, 1915-1923. It is my hope that the rug will be
    placed on public view,' stated Deranian.

As the Assembly previously reported, the Smithsonian Institution in
    Washington, D.C. was planning a December exhibition of this historic
    treasure symbolizing the proud chapter in America's history. The White
    House issued a statement saying that, "The Ghazir rug is a reminder of the
    close relationship between the peoples of Armenia and the United States. We
    regret that it is not possible to loan it out at this time."

In 1925, Dr. John H. Finley, editor-in-chief of the New York Times and
    vice-chairman of the congressionally chartered Near East Relief
    organization (today called the Near East Foundation) presented a rug made
    by orphans of the Armenian Genocide to then President Calvin Coolidge. The
    rug was made in appreciation of America's generosity in aiding the
    survivors of the first genocide of the 20th Century.

Established in 1972, the Armenian Assembly of America is the largest
    Washington-based nationwide organization promoting public understanding and
    awareness of Armenian issues. The Assembly is a non-partisan, 501(c)(3)
    tax-exempt membership organization.

###

NR# 2013-025

Photo Caption: Dr. H. Martin Deranian holding the Armenian Orphan Sister
    Rug, Worcester Evening Gazette, April 24, 1985

Available online at: http://bit.ly/18WcxKA
    Are any of these orphaned children (now elderly) still with us (alive)?
    Have any of these people written about their experience?
    I do not want to belittle any meaningful help (I don't count flapping jaw bones).
    Having read The Burning Tigris & now seeing how the west at large is holding the heinous turks feet to the fire. Ok, maybe fire is too strong of a word. Let's say Luke warm .
    Waiting at the end of the torture line to see who might survive.
    I can give credit were credit is do but no more.
    Unless offered a substantial bribe (I lie).
    Artashes

Comment

A White House spokeswoman said Tuesday that displaying the rug
      "for only half a day in connection with a private book launch event,
      as proposed, would have been an inappropriate use of U.S. government
      property, would have required the White House to undertake the risk of
      transporting the rug for limited public exposure, and was not viewed
      as commensurate with the rug's historical significance."
      That is an entirely reasonable and acceptable reason.
      However, one wonders why it was not offered earlier. Was it because the White House invented this "explanation" long after the actual decision had been made? Or was it because some Armenian organisations wanted to make a commotion over nothing and so never actually asked for a proper reason? Each explanation is equally possible, I think.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        That is an entirely reasonable and acceptable reason.
        However, one wonders why it was not offered earlier. Was it because the White House invented this "explanation" long after the actual decision had been made? Or was it because some Armenian organisations wanted to make a commotion over nothing and so never actually asked for a proper reason? Each explanation is equally possible, I think.
        --- some Armenian organizations wanted to make a commotion over NOTHING ---
        A man writes a book about a rug that is of great historicle significance & asks the white house who is in possession of rug if he might utilize "the people's property". I think it's safe to say the mans intentions can be taken at face value & have nothing to do with him wanting to start a commotion .
        Although the book holds the potential for making the author some money, the point that the book makes is why people would read such a book.
        As has been pointed out by many (MANY) renowned & respected scholars, the lack of recognition of a genocide & the denial of a genocide paves the way for future genocide. Also the denial of genocide is in fact a continuation of the genocide.
        The white house response was just another example of USA brown nosing.
        To have honored the request would have sent a clear message that NEEDS be sent. And the cost and trouble would have been dirt cheap. Compare that to the amount of money & effort the turk spends & uses to BLATANTLY lie.
        Yet more worthless commentary from bell the Armenian basher.
        What a pathetic life (existence).

Comment

Some unknown writer writes a book about the Declaration of Independence and expects the US government to provide him with the original of said signed document for use as a backdrop to a little lunchtime talk he is giving to promote his book. And then throws a tantrum when this request is refused. Meanwhile, Artashes accuse the US of being a fascist totalitarian state intent on denying its past respect for liberty for refusing to provide the document to the writer since the writer and his readers are some of the we the people it was written for.
          Last edited by bell-the-cat; 12-09-2013, 01:00 PM.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
            --- some Armenian organizations wanted to make a commotion over NOTHING ---
            A man writes a book about a rug that is of great historicle significance & asks the white house who is in possession of rug if he might utilize "the people's property". I think it's safe to say the mans intentions can be taken at face value & have nothing to do with him wanting to start a commotion .
            Although the book holds the potential for making the author some money, the point that the book makes is why people would read such a book.
            As has been pointed out by many (MANY) renowned & respected scholars, the lack of recognition of a genocide & the denial of a genocide paves the way for future genocide. Also the denial of genocide is in fact a continuation of the genocide.
            The white house response was just another example of USA brown nosing.
            To have honored the request would have sent a clear message that NEEDS be sent. And the cost and trouble would have been dirt cheap. Compare that to the amount of money & effort the turk spends & uses to BLATANTLY lie.
            Yet more worthless commentary from bell the Armenian basher.
            What a pathetic life (existence).
            Apparently bell has changed the last comment he posted completely.
            When I attempted to reply, once again nothing appeared and I was force to rewrite everything.
            And now when I go to reply to bells standard shallow negative & worthless comment, the entire comment is completely changed. Ain't that slick.
            Your analogy is not the same as addressing the points I made. Your comment that was replaced by your self serving analogy clearly fell into the lowest two rungs of the pyriamid, but the miraculously disappeared .
            Still think you are both fraudulent & pathetic.
            Artashes

Comment

Apparently bell has changed the last comment he posted completely.
              When I attempted to reply, once again nothing appeared and I was force to rewrite everything.
              And now when I go to reply to bells standard shallow negative & worthless comment, the entire comment is completely changed. Ain't that slick.
              Your analogy is not the same as addressing the points I made. Your comment that was replaced by your self serving analogy clearly fell into the lowest two rungs of the pyriamid, but the miraculously disappeared .
              Still think you are both fraudulent & pathetic.
              Artashes
              Are you are a crazy, paranoid, delusional fantasist? Or just a barefaced liar? Nothing has changed. I suppose your delusions (if they are that rather than lies) extend to thinking I can access the forums server and remove or change postings?

Though, one thing HAS changed. I wrote that each of the two explanations was equally possible: that the White House explanation was made up after the decision was made, or that some Armenians have been attempting to make a controversy out of nothing. Thanks to Artashes' timely reminder of how things are, I now believe the latter is more likely. I doubt that anyone who knows what organisations like the Armenian Assembly of America have got up to in the past will disagree with that (AAA never misses an opportunity to make propaganda - but it is always ineffectual propaganda).
              Last edited by bell-the-cat; 12-09-2013, 02:30 PM. Reason: edited to add a comma and thus feed Artashes' delusions
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Are you are a crazy, paranoid, delusional fantasist? Or just a barefaced liar? Nothing has changed. I suppose your delusions (if they are that rather than lies) extend to thinking I can access the forums server and remove or change postings?

Though, one thing HAS changed. I wrote that each of the two explanations was equally possible: that the White House explanation was made up after the decision was made, or that some Armenians have been attempting to make a controversy out of nothing. Thanks to Artashes' timely reminder of how things are, I now believe the latter is more likely. I doubt that anyone who knows what organisations like the Armenian Assembly of America have got up to in the past will disagree with that (AAA never misses an opportunity to make propaganda - but it is always ineffectual propaganda).
                Yes I do think I got two posts confused, your correct on that.
                I also have much distrust for a number of diaspora organizations.
                However the simple lending of a rug that was written about was not the big deal the USA makes it out to be. The logistics of leading the rug is too easy. The signal it would have sent is priceless.
                The agitating, negative, insulting, foul & most often worthless commentary by you give me to think your on the turk or us, Zion dole.
                Still think your pathetic & truly worthless.
                Artashes

Comment

Yes I do think I got two posts confused, your correct on that.
                  I also have much distrust for a number of diaspora organizations.
                  However the simple lending of a rug that was written about was not the big deal the USA makes it out to be. The logistics of leading the rug is too easy. The signal it would have sent is priceless.
                  The agitating, negative, insulting, foul & most often worthless commentary by you give me to think your on the turk or us, Zion dole.
                  Still think your pathetic & truly worthless.
                  Artashes
                  So, first you falsely accuse me of editing a post I made to turn it into something that did not even slightly resemble its former content (when actually all I did was edit it to add a couple of commas and correct a spelling mistake). And you accompany that false accusation with one of your typical lowest rung on the pyramid insults.
                  Now you admit you simply confused two posts from two completely different threads - but add yet another of your lowest rung on the pyramid insults.
                  Do you actually want people to take you seriously?

Back to the actual topic. The White House explanation puts this whole fake controversy in the correct light. It was all just an invention by some Armenian activists with too much time and money on their hands and a desparation to prove they have a purpose.
                  Nowhere in that Armenian propaganda was it mentioned that the supposed "exhibition" was just going to be just a limited, less-than-half-a-day display of the item during a talk to promote a book. It's becoming clear that all we really have here is an author throwing a fake tantrum to get some self-publicity. While it would have been nice to have the rug, a talk about the subject of a book does not really require the actual display of the object discussed in the book - so why did he cancel his talk? Then that publicity-seeking act is taken up by ANCA and AAA to make their typical ham-fisted propaganda. That propaganda, with its arrogant rudeness, has turned the rug into a political object and alienated everyone in the White House - thus probably destroying any hope of the rug ever being used in a proper legitimate exhibition about the Genocide.
                  Last edited by bell-the-cat; 12-09-2013, 05:21 PM.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

So, first you falsely accuse me of editing a post I made to turn it into something that did not even slightly resemble its former content (when actually all I did was edit it to add a couple of commas and correct a spelling mistake). And you accompany that false accusation with one of your typical lowest rung on the pyramid insults.
                    Now you admit you simply confused two posts from two completely different threads - but add yet another of your lowest rung on the pyramid insults.
                    Do you actually want people to take you seriously?
                    I actually want people to know & understand the truth.
                    One needs do nothing more than examine our posts to know who dwells at the lowest rung p-ussy.

Comment

As much as it is difficult to say, Bell-the-cat is correct about the lack of diplomatic tact and skill. This sort of criticism is by no means the first, and it is worth repeating. We truly have non-professional lobbyists, and we do lack professional leadership. The brighter people (and there are dim bulbs there), as there are a number in Washington who are quite active, need to be given incentive to join these organizations, a topic in itself.

Yet, the explanation given by the White House is weak and suspicious due to the timing, which I agree on as well. As far as "alienation of White house staff", I don't see how possible it is to alienate a group that is "alienated" by default! Yet, who knows what a competent lobby could accomplish? I suppose we will find out when it happens. There are many good prospects, particularly in the ANCA WR, very smart people. I have hopes---

Comment

Working...
                      X