Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

North-South Highway/Iran-Armenia Railway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North-South Highway/Iran-Armenia Railway

Originally posted by Mher View Post
    Construction of Vardenis-Martakert Highway to Start Jan. 2014

YEREVAN (Arka)—The construction of the 72 mile-long Vardenis-Martakert road that will link Armenia with Nagorno-Karabakh will commence in 2014 January, the Hayastan All-Armenian Fund said Friday.

The highway is expected to be a boon to the further socio-economic development of Nagorno-Karabakh and Armenia alike. By functioning as a direct road link, it will become a second lifeline between northern Armenia and northern Karabakh, significantly cutting down travel times, boosting the economies of Karabakh communities along its path, stimulating inter-community ties, and vastly improving geographic access for implementing local development initiatives.

Currently the only land-travel link between Karabakh and Armenia is the Goris-Stepanakert highway.

The construction of the second road will be funded by donations raised by the annual Thanksgiving Day Armenia Fund Telethon that secured more than $22.6 million for the project.

The Fund said today it had signed contracts with companies which won a tender to build the road.

Over the 20 years of its existence, the Hayastan All-Armenian Fund has funded construction of roads (over 295 miles), water mains (321 miles), gas pipelines (89 miles) and 43 miles of power lines. Apart from this, it constructed or reconstructed 334 schools, 424 dwelling buildings, 70 public health institutions, and 53 sports and cultural centers.

Hayastan All-Armenian Fund was established in 1992 to implement projects of national importance and help develop infrastructures in Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. In general, projects worth a total of over $235.8 million were implemented in Armenia and Karabakh over 20 years of the Fund’s existence.

http://asbarez.com/117684/constructi...tart-jan-2014/
    Sounds like the diaspora knows how to hit home runs.
    Screw the negative naysayers.
    Thanks for the positive news & analysis of real deeds done. Very uplifting.
    Artashes

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
      Sounds like the diaspora knows how to hit home runs.
      Screw the negative naysayers.
      Thanks for the positive news & analysis of real deeds done. Very uplifting.
      Artashes
      Yes I'm not gonna pretend the process is perfect. Some people claim there were fraud and misconduct when the fund began. Nobody has given actual evidence, but it wouldn't surprise considering the 90's were the wild wild west in the former Soviet States. But the bottom line is, as a licensed civil engineer, I can tell you that a mile of highway built by ArmeniaFund costs less than 10% of what a mile of highway costs to build in America. Moreover, if not for ArmeniaFund, there wouldn't be a highway (soon to be two) uniting Artsakh to Armenia. There wouldn't be a highway unifying the districts of Artsakh together. So the naysayers can continue to continue their unsubstantiated rumors all they want, I don't know if they do it to destroy Armenia, or from some seriously misguided sense of activism, but the process is gonna move forward, its gonna get better, more efficient, and more influential, and we will see a modernized first world and stable Armenia in our time.
      Last edited by Mher; 12-21-2013, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Yes I'm not gonna pretend the process is perfect. Some people claim there were fraud and misconduct when the fund began. Nobody has given actual evidence, but it wouldn't surprise considering the 90's were the wild wild west in the former Soviet States. But the bottom line is, as a licensed civil engineer, I can tell you that a mile of highway built by ArmeniaFund costs less than 10% of what a mile of highway costs to build in America. Moreover, if not for ArmeniaFund, there wouldn't be a highway (soon to be two) uniting Artsakh to Armenia. There wouldn't be a highway unifying the districts of Artsakh together. So the naysayers can continue to continue their unsubstantiated rumors all they want, I don't know if they do it to destroy Armenia, or from some seriously misguided sense of activism, but the process is gonna move forward, its gonna get better, more efficient, and more influential, and we will see a modernized first world and stable Armenia in our time.
        Whenever you have blood in the wide ocean the sharks will gather & circle.
        Whenever you have money's collected in the wide world the sharks will gather & circle.
        This is a problem of the world in general and includes every nation .
        It is not exclusive to Armenia.
        By you pointing out in your first sentence the negative was to bring honesty and balanced fullness to the above report.
        By NOT concentrating exclusively on the negative but also pointing out the MANY positive outcomes does show a clear moving forward despite the gathering of the sharks & the gathering of the negative posters on this forum.
        This is a real help to us on this forum that are trying to learn & understand what the actual situation of our country is .
        Thanks for both the insight, honesty & balance.

Comment

But the bottom line is, as a licensed civil engineer, I can tell you that a mile of highway built by ArmeniaFund costs less than 10% of what a mile of highway costs to build in America.
          Except that a highway in America is about 4 times as wide as Armenia. But it was still cheaper than expected - the criminals in Armenia only billed for a highway that was a third wider as what they actually constructed.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
            Except that a highway in America is about 4 times as wide as Armenia. But it was still cheaper than expected - the criminals in Armenia only billed for a highway that was a third wider as what they actually constructed.
            No Albert Einstein, just our fortune that I forgot to mention this, since I mention this every other time I bring this up:
            They are measured as cost per lane per per per mile
            Last edited by Mher; 12-23-2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Now Mr. Cancer
              I know you're an expert in everything, including other peoples profession, that you just read about in the past 5 minutes, but read and compare to what $239 million has done in Armenia by AremeniaFund:

the Hayastan All-Armenian Fund has funded construction of roads (over 295 miles), water mains (321 miles), gas pipelines (89 miles) and 43 miles of power lines. Apart from this, it constructed or reconstructed 334 schools, 424 dwelling buildings, 70 public health institutions, and 53 sports and cultural centers.

WITH 239 MILLION DOLLARS

KEEP BARKING
              Last edited by Mher; 12-23-2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

No Albert Einstein, just our fortune that I forgot to mention this, since I mention this every other time I bring this up:
                They are measured as cost per lane per per per mile
                I'll see if I can dig out a report or two about the quality of the Megri road, and also some about the north-south highway whose construction is destroying much of Armenia's surviving forests, but meanwhile:

As we all know, road construction in Armenia is carried out through kickbacks and by pocketing state funds. Many people supposed that it wasn’t possible to control since it required an in- depthinvestigation.

The Tsitsernakaberd Highway has two lanes in each direction of traffic. In accordance with state standards the width of each traffic lane must be 3.5 meters. Accordingly, the width of the road must be 14 meters.

Nevertheless, when measuring different segments of the traffic lanes, we couldn’t find any stretch of the road where the right lane was more than 3.4 meters, while the left lane was never more than 3.15 meters. The width, or to be more precise, the narrowness of some segments was 2.8 meters.

At some parts of the road, for instance near the speed camera and under the bridge, the average pavement width was 12.5-12.8 meters.

Thus, the width of Tsitsernakaberd Highway, which is two kilometers long, is 1.5 meters (around 10 percent) less than it should be according to state standards.
                But I must apologise for slandering Armenia's criminals unjustly. In the above example they only billed for a highway that was 10% wider than what they actually constructed, not a third wider. Also, my "A project that nobody wants and nobody needs and that is only "great" and "wanted" if you are part of Armenia's criminal-political class" referred to the proposed railway project.
                Last edited by bell-the-cat; 12-23-2013, 06:50 PM.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                  I'll see if I can dig out a report or two about the quality of the Megri road, and also some about the north-south highway whose construction is destroying much of Armenia's surviving forests, but meanwhile:

As we all know, road construction in Armenia is carried out through kickbacks and by pocketing state funds. Many people supposed that it wasn’t possible to control since it required an in- depthinvestigation.

But I must apologise for slandering Armenia's criminals unjustly. In the above example they only billed for a highway that was 10% wider than what they actually constructed, not a third wider. Also, my "A project that nobody wants and nobody needs and that is only "great" and "wanted" if you are part of Armenia's criminal-political class" referred to the proposed railway project.
                  what does meghri have to do with the work done by ArmeniaFund

Comment

Expert: Abkhazian railway unlikely to be opened soon

YEREVAN, December 20. /ARKA/. Arthur Ataev, senior research associate at Russia’s Institute for Strategic Studies, said in his online interview with Novosti-Armenia that the Abkhasian railway is unlikely to be opened soon.

“This is not feasible in the short term and may be in the long term as well,” he said. “Abkhazia’s stance is mixed.”

More than that – the project needs so much investment that even large geopolitical players can’t afford to embark on it.

“I recently attended an event where a study on this problem was presented,” he said. “Some sections of this railway are missing and some other parts need dismantlement. This is a very expensive regional project.”

Bidzina Ivanishvili, a former prime minister of Georgia, spoke about some possibility to restore this railway link as visited Yerevan in January 2013.

The idea of opening the Abkhasian railway, which is very significant for Armenia, was discussed also by Armenian and Russian presidents, Serzh Sargsyan and Vladimir Putin in Moscow on September 3.

Online news conferences are being held as part of the joint project of Region Research Center (Armenia) and the Institute for Peace and Democracy (Azerbaijan), which is supported by British embassies in Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Arthur Ataev, senior research associate at Russia’s Institute for Strategic Studies, said in his online interview with Novosti-Armenia that the Abkhasian railway is unlikely to be opened soon.

Comment

Most Georgians approve opening of railway through Abkhazia

July 12, 2013 | 18:06

Most Georgians surveyed within the public opinion poll conducted by NDI approve opening of the rail link with Russia through Abkhazia. Eighteen percent of respondents are against the idea and another twenty failed to answer the question.

The number of those who approve of the opening of the railway, decreased by 2 percent compared to a survey conducted in March. At the same time, the number of opponents increased by five percent, Georgian media reports.

NDI study was funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.

Comment

Working...
                      X