Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Great Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Outdoors

Below is from another thread, but didn't fit that topic. Because I think a few people have outdoor hobbies, I thought maybe a general thread was justified. There's a thread about outdoor sports specifically here: http://forum.hyeclub.com/showthread....ting-fishing-)

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
    Wow, Machu Picchu. Hope to see some pictures of that posted.

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    My photos as a set may seriously suck. I'm leaving my dslr at home and taking a rangefinder instead and only a 35mm and a 50mm lens. Who knows what I'm gonna end up with... I'll share if they're not too awful.

The trek was hard but rewarding and the photos didn't turn out too bad. Here are a few...

[COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

• Re: The Great Outdoors

Not sure why you felt you needed to start a new thread since we have the outdoors thread already but i am glad you shared these beautiful pics. Looks like its about to storm in that last pic.
      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
        Not sure why you felt you needed to start a new thread since we have the outdoors thread already but i am glad you shared these beautiful pics. Looks like its about to storm in that last pic.
        Thanks. It was almost always on the verge of storming. I think it rained every night.

You had created that thread for outdoor sports, so I didn't want to presume you'd be okay to expand it to all outdoor pursuits. If it's all the same to you, I don't mind merging.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

No i don't mind at all - i kind of get lonely in there lol. I think it is sad that people are loosing interest in the outdoors. It works great for me since i have less competition but it is sad watching so many people lose the link with nature. How was the food there?
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

No i don't mind at all - i kind of get lonely in there lol. I think it is sad that people are loosing interest in the outdoors. It works great for me since i have less competition but it is sad watching so many people lose the link with nature. How was the food there?
            I like the seclusion that comes without the crowding, but when people don't use the parks and trails that also means funds are diverted to other things and bad decisions made on the assumption that no one will notice/care.

The food was okay. Cusco is like the gateway city to Machu Picchu so it's touristy enough to have a wide variety of restaurants to appeal to the mix of tourists. There was a lot of Italian and pizza in general. McDonalds and Starbucks of course. They had Japanese, Indian (Korma Sutra - name still cracks me up), Arabic (Shawerma!), etc.

The Peruvian stuff was good too. Just meats, lots of barbeque, and either rice, quinoa, or starchy veggies (e.g. potatoes, corn, etc.). Plenty of seafood. Of course, they eat alpaca, cuy (guinea pig), llamma. They tried to incorporate these in fusion dishes too. Like alpaca curry and pizzas. In one method they cook food in a pit covered in banana leaves, topped with hot rocks, and buried under mound of dirt and that was pretty cool to see done. It was a lot faster than I thought. The food was done in like 30 minutes.

Coca tea is the stuff; I'd love to drink that every morning instead of coffee. I didn't feel any noticeable buzz beyond the alertness from a strong coffee/espresso with it though. They make some sweet drink out of purple corn that was yum. We didn't try any of the corn beer, chicha, because we were told it would land us in the hospital with a host of unfriendly bacteria for sure because of the conditions under which it's fermented. Now Pisco! Excellent. I loved the pisco sours.

The fruits and veggies there were enormous too. Avocados were the size of melons, corn kernels the size of US quarters, etc.

Comment

That sounds pretty cool Siggie. Cooking underground is done in Armenia to it is called tonir and is a good way of baking lavash and cooking some other meats. How long was the flight to get there and where there any stopovers?
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

That sounds pretty cool Siggie. Cooking underground is done in Armenia to it is called tonir and is a good way of baking lavash and cooking some other meats. How long was the flight to get there and where there any stopovers?
                No, no this wasn't like a tonir.
                You've got to connect in Lima at the very least before Cusco, but it's possible to get direct from LA to Lima and that's about 13 hours I think. I had a stop in Tx before Lima though because it wasn't gonna get me to Cusco any earlier (only 2 flights a day from Lima to Cusco) and it was $1000 per more to go direct from LAX to Lima.

Comment

Both are radiant cooking with stone/clay, but a tonir is more permanent/set "oven" lined in clay, but this is literally a hole in the ground covered with rocks and dirt...

Comment

Cooking underground is done in Armenia to it is called tonir and is a good way of baking lavash and cooking some other meats.
                    But not done anymore in Nakhchivan - if this report is to be believed.

FOREIGN MUSIC BANNED IN NAKHIJEVAN
                    Panorama.am
                    18:36 21/02/2014 >> SOCIETY

Nakhijevan radio channels have got a rather strange ban, the
                    Azerbaijani news portal "Haqqin.az" reports.

According to information, the Nakhijevan TV and Radio broadcasts
                    Committee has banned foreign music broadcast. Now exclusively
                    Azerbaijani music sounds on Nakhijevan radio.

"The ban includes also such genres as rock, rap, including the
                    Azerbaijani language, and which is most surprising Turkish songs as
                    well," writes the portal.

The head of the Nakhijevan Autonomy Vasif Talibov, who was included
                    in the list of the world's "predators of press" by the organization
                    of "Reporters without Borders", is known for a number of extravagant
                    bans. Thus, on November 2013 he banned giving foreign names to trade
                    centers in Nakhijevan. In August Vasif Talibov forbade the women
                    serving in governmental offices to wear nylon pantyhose.

In August Talibov ordered to close all Internet cafes. Besides that,
                    all possible places where people gather, like cafes, teahouses and
                    hairdressing salons, are closed too. It is also forbidden to walk
                    on the streets in groups, have evening walks, hang laundry on the
                    balcony, bake bread in tonirs (a hole in a ground made for baking
                    bread - Ed.) as well as mark feasts.

In September 2012 Talibov arbitrarily banned abortions in Nakhijevan
                    Autonomy.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Boy i have never seen a winter like this before. We got another huge amount of snowfall today-work canceled, classes canceled. I took my truck to the lake to see what the roads were like there and got stuck. I had to walk back in two feet of snow across the frozen lake while 30 mph winds at 14 degrees were blowing in my face and i just had a sweatshirt on. I cant get my truck out and tow trucks wont even go in there. For the first time in a loong time i am looking forward to spring.
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X